Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Respect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Something that I see in High School Basketball, is players who are not flashy and players that work their butts off but still get no respect. Such as David Johnson of Powell CountyTongueirateSho. He controls the tempo of a game and is great asset to Powell yet no one gives him props. Anyone else want to show some respect to any other players?
It really doesnt matter what kind of props someone gets on any sports forum or the newspapers. You get your respect on the court. It is something that you just cant ask for and get. If the boys are good enough, they will earn the respect of their team mates and players from other teams. Alot of articles wrote about games are wrote off a stat sheet. On sports forums or around water coolers, the flashy players are the ones who get the talk because they do the things that everyone can see, not the ones who do the things that most wont notice. For example, who takes charges, dives on the ball, or jumping out of bounds to save the ball to a team mate. The player who scores is the one who gets the credit....
Yea, people that score big always get the credit, but what about those who make great steals, play hard defense all the time, and take charges. Another player from Powell county that doesnt get very much respect, but plays really hard defense is Pelfrey.
Yea most players dont get near the respect they deserve
Well i think that they are a lot of players that are very good but dont get any credit..........i know of one that is a very good y ball player but is looked over because they are a big scorer on our team and the person who gets looked over is Grimm from jenkins, but im takeing anything away from the big scorer because he is very good basketball player as well and that is Puckett from Jenkins....
Are players really out there to get credit, or are they out there because they wanna play and enjoy the game? Some players are overlooked by alot of people but what matters isn't how much credit you get, its how hard you play IMO
ur_#1_fan Wrote:Are players really out there to get credit, or are they out there because they wanna play and enjoy the game? Some players are overlooked by alot of people but what matters isn't how much credit you get, its how hard you play IMO
If you play hard enough and smart enough, you will be seen. I know that the players that score the most usually get the credit, and coaches set it up this way a lot of times and there isn't much you can do except be a smart player. Work on the things that you are weak in , figure out a way to make it work for you. AND play team ball.
I dont agree that if you play hard and play smart you will get respect, because alot of people dont recognize players like great rebounders or basic floor general PG's as much as they would some one if they went out and took 25 shots a night so i agree with 14th champ on this one
Marlboro Man69 Wrote:I dont agree that if you play hard and play smart you will get respect, because alot of people dont recognize players like great rebounders or basic floor general PG's as much as they would some one if they went out and took 25 shots a night so i agree with 14th champ on this one

I'm not saying players don't get overlooked, I know they do...all I'm saying is that credit isn't the most important thing about a ball game. I agree with 14th champ about Johnson he doesn't get as much credit as he should. He is an excellent point guard and can handle pressure well. He is a great player.
Marlboro Man69 Wrote:I dont agree that if you play hard and play smart you will get respect, because alot of people dont recognize players like great rebounders or basic floor general PG's as much as they would some one if they went out and took 25 shots a night so i agree with 14th champ on this one

But if you play hard and smart, you get recognized by people who matter, for example college coaches, scouts, ect. They might not from the armchair coaches or the gym full of critics, but they will get noticed.
They will eventually get credit where it is due
Knowing Johnson personally, he is not at all worried about recieving any kind of so called props. He works his tail off every day to try and become a better high school b-ball player. The only thing he is worried about is leading his team, making his teammates better, and holding that big trophy over his head at Letcher Central High School this spring.