Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Did I Really Just Watch...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did I really just watch ESPN do a 20 minute piece about Jason Collins 5 minutes of game time where he tipped a ball, made 1 steal, and had a rebound?
Followed by showing tweets of athletes and celebrities giving praise and saying that takes courage?
Confusednicker:

And they wonder why people hate it.
Its funny that they only show the good though. I have yet to see someone call him out. So if that's not happening, why is it a big deal?

Ive never seen a piece like this on another player who signed a whopping 10 day contract...

It appears the media and politicians make it a bigger deal than it actually is. Imagine that.
You forgot the strong box out and lunge for a rebound they replayed twice! lol I couldn't believe sportscenter took that long on it either. And he might not be playing 10 days from now.
What I dont understand is why they preach about equality and how gay athletes are no different than straight athletes. But, then they turn around and praise him for his game on the court which was anything but miraculous. If it's all about equality hold everyone to the same standards in regards to on the court production. I understand he is probably a role model to the gay community, but come on there is no need to play it out like 5 minutes is a great achievement.
I almost laughed until I cried watching how hard espn was trying to be politically correct on that one.
It doesn't bother me that they did this last night/this morning because in the grand scheme of things what he did last night will be looked upon historically as a moment in sports/civil rights history.

They probably could have focused more on the fact that he was signed and played instead of the highlights because that was kinda lame. I would imagine even he would think so, but it was a first in the 4 major sports in this country.

Now if they keep focusing on it, and showing highlights I will agree with ya, but for now I'll give them a pass. No need to focus on it anymore, just let him play.
Mr. Onion Head Wrote:It doesn't bother me that they did this last night/this morning because in the grand scheme of things what he did last night will be looked upon historically as a moment in sports/civil rights history.

They probably could have focused more on the fact that he was signed and played instead of the highlights because that was kinda lame. I would imagine even he would think so, but it was a first in the 4 major sports in this country.

Now if they keep focusing on it, and showing highlights I will agree with ya, but for now I'll give them a pass. No need to focus on it anymore, just let him play.

I agree with what your are saying, and that is what I was trying to say (you just did a better job of it). I said I understand he is a role model for the gay community and I understand the magnitude of the situation. But, show him signing, his press conference and a quick clip of him entering the game. In the grand scheme of it all IMHO I think this deal was only done to make sure Collins was the first openly gay player to play professional sports. I don't think the Nets had anything to gain from a production aspect. Once again only my opinion, but with Sam coming out and most likely playing in the NFL. Collins found a team willing to give him a short contract to guarantee he gets the title of being the first openly gay player in professional sports.
Here's my thing, and I am not a hater of gays or anything like that, but I will say that I do not support it.

When Tim Tebow busted onto the scene when he was in Denver. He began getting a lot of attention for his Christian faith and how he was always kneeling in prayer and it even got a name for it called "Tebowing". And he was continually scrutinized for showing his faith on the field by kneeling or pointing to the sky. People said he needed to keep it to himself and not advertise it. This guy and Michael Sam made public announcements about being gay and they're considered hero's. But a man who praises the son of God needs to be quiet? This to me is just not right!
Yea its a joke!
Spud6 Wrote:Here's my thing, and I am not a hater of gays or anything like that, but I will say that I do not support it.

When Tim Tebow busted onto the scene when he was in Denver. He began getting a lot of attention for his Christian faith and how he was always kneeling in prayer and it even got a name for it called "Tebowing". And he was continually scrutinized for showing his faith on the field by kneeling or pointing to the sky. People said he needed to keep it to himself and not advertise it. This guy and Michael Sam made public announcements about being gay and they're considered hero's. But a man who praises the son of God needs to be quiet? This to me is just not right!

Well what we can do is honor Jesus in our neck of the woods here on bgr. So here's to an amen and to God be the Glory.

:Thumbs:
Spud I logged on just to "like" your post.

Amen brother.
They just want to try to make a point. And it's amazing how people let them stress Collins' career so much when he's a HORRIBLE player.