Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Paducah Tilghman Selects New Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Paducah Tilghman hires Mike Rogers from Warren Central.
I wonder how PT will look running the wing-T.
Pretty dang scary if you ask me.

It's amazing the negative connotations that come with old school football here in KY..ever since Mumme and the Air Raid it's almost as though all other forms of football are all blasphemy. Lol

In Georgia, two of the better programs in the entire state are Wing T in Lowndes and Camden County. Another school in GA, North Hall HS has made a living out of the Wing T and Wishbone (non triple wishbone).

Then you have schools like Apopka HS in FLA who happens to be an 8 school that has dominated the last several years running the oldest system known to man in the Unbalanced Single Wing. Another school that dominates their state with the UBSW is in Michigan...Menominee HS in the upper PA.

It's almost like these days in KY, when a more traditional offensive minded coach gets hired...it's spread or bust.

Personally, I think PT is going to be hell on wheels.
I know I went on a rant there and it was by no means directed at you.
If players know which special teams they are on.

If an offensive play can be called from the sideline without the emotive combination of coaches stomping out a brush fire and trying to flag down a taxi.

If 5 consecutive offensive plays can be run without a holding or offsides call.

Then maybe, things will he headed in the right direction.
He will correct the penalties and the lack of discipline. The rest is already in place.
I would say it will be a lot like his Warren Central teams. They will dominate the teams they can 'out-athlete'. They will lose to the teams that can match them athletically because his Wing T offense can't score enough points.
Where do you live in Georgia Fly like a Duck?
I don't. Here in good ole' KY.
Colerain in Cincy is straight out of the Georgia Tech and Navy mold being a true flex bone triple option team.

Trousdale County in TN has more state titles than we all have fingers...a small school at that, and they have taken out several good KY schools over the years is as Wing T as Wing T gets.

Soddy Daisy is another TN power house that is a flexbone/wing team that is still under center most, if not all of the time.

I love it all. But it just kills me that the majority of people view traditional 2-3 back offenses, under center, etc as the Devil...but, let somebody be a "spread" coach, and it's "OMG. It's a new age Vincent Lombardi."
Got ya..thought by your post and knowledge of the Georgia School you may be down here.

To your point... for the contrarions of the offensive style PT will be implementing they need not look any further than their own classification for validation.

Using the Wishbone and then the flexbone Belfry has reached the State Finals 7 our of the past 11 seasons, won 3 State Titles, and reached the Semi-Finals in all but one season. Belfry hasn't had nearly the talent as PT during that time frame. I will also point out that 2 of those 4 times Belfry failed to make the Finals it was a team who ran the bone or the Wing T that went on to win it (Russell and Mercer County)

The $10,000.00 Question when it comes to PT will be "Can they execute though?". The Wing-T and the Bone are the perfect offense to maximize your abilities with minimal talent... but it doesn't mean a hill of beans if turnovers, penalties, and missed assignments exist. Behind any great team running this style of offense is fantastic execution.
Mike won 73% of his games at WC with an almost identical roster to what he will have at Tilghman but now he will be 2 classes lower for the playoffs.
PT routinely spotted opponents 90-100 yards a game in penalties. This was not a one year or two year anomaly. They did it against good teams and bad teams. They consistently had difficulties in communicating the called play onto the field and executing it. If just those two issues can be corrected, you will see measurable progress.
I know Rogers very well. While there are things that I do not agree with him on, I will say the penalties and turnovers will stop under his reign. I also will tell you, they will execute almost flawlessly or they will not play. I am certain of this. I have watched his practices. There will be several weeks in a row of simple footwork for the qb, so that he is in the right position at all times. He will have the tackles coming off on their tracks and his guards will learn to pull. With the great team speed that he will have, the misdirection of the wing tee will hurt a lot of teams. I just hope that it doesn't get completely fixed until we take the lead in the overall record.
Who will Warren Central hire now that Rogers is going to PT ?
64 is free. They can probably get him free of charge as well.