Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell names T.J. Maynard head football coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...ball-coach

Aaron Snyder

Going back to Russell was a "definite goal" in his early coaching days.
After a few years at Raceland, the thought of returning to his roots scooted to the "back of his mind," but it was still undoubtedly there.
When the opportunity finally presented itself, it turned into the toughest decision of his life.
T.J. Maynard has been named Russell High School's head football coach, as officially announced on Thursday, but the days leading up to his final choice were "miserable."
Maynard, 43, has now completed his journey along the Greenup County triangle. He played at Russell from 1984-87 under area coaching legend Ivan McGlone before enjoying a four-year career at the University of Kentucky as a 6-foot-5 offensive lineman.
After pursuing a career path in accounting, he quickly realized teaching and coaching was his calling.
Maynard coached under Bill Baldridge, who had recruited him while at Morehead State, at Greenup County. He took the reins of the Musketeers in 1998 and compiled a 42-34 record in seven seasons at the helm.
Congrats:Thumbs: Coach Maynard and Good Luck.:Thumbs:
There will be a bigger story in Fridays edition of the paper.
February 21, 2014 Russell Rebirth

Former player Maynard takes over Red Devils football program

Aaron Snyder The Independent
RUSSELL — Going back to Russell was a "definite goal" in TJ. Maynard's early coaching days.

After a few years at Raceland, the thought of returning to his roots scooted to the "back of his mind," but it was still undoubtedly there.

When the opportunity finally presented itself, it turned into the toughest decision of his life.

Maynard has been named Russell High School's head football coach, as officially announced on Thursday, but the days leading up to his final choice were "miserable."

Maynard, 43, has now completed his journey along the Greenup County triangle. He played at Russell from 1984-87 under area coaching legend Ivan McGlone before enjoying a four-year career at the University of Kentucky as a 6-foot-5 offensive lineman.

After pursuing a career path in accounting, he quickly realized teaching and coaching was his calling.

Maynard coached under Bill Baldridge, who had recruited him while at Morehead State, at Greenup County. He took the reins of the Musketeers in 1998 and compiled a 42-34 record in seven seasons at the helm. He is the winningest coach in Greenup County history.

Five seasons as a top Raceland assistant, mainly served as a defensive coordinator, followed. In four years as Raceland's head coach, his 34-16 record culminated with the program's first region championship and first state semifinal appearance. He also guided the Rams to their 500th program win.

By the time Maynard's former coach was relieved of his duties after 38 years in January, Maynard was entrenched in Raceland.

"Once I got to Raceland, I didn't know if I'd ever leave," Maynard said. "And then I didn't see myself ever leaving … Once the (Russell) job did come open, I had to check into it. I felt like if I did not look into it, that I'd have major regrets."

There were two ultimate factors in Maynard's decision: daughters Alexis, a freshman, and Alyssa, a fifth-grader. Both have been Russell students from the time they started school because of the Maynards' residential location.

When Maynard met with his former Raceland players on Monday, he said he wasn't necessarily leaving them, but he was leaving to go with his family. Several players wished Maynard good luck in his next endeavor.

"I flip-flopped so much on this," Maynard admitted. "If you asked me one hour on one day, I'd say one way, and vice versa … To be in the same building with those girls for the next seven years was a big drawing point. In this profession, if you do it right, you take a lot of time away from family. Seeing them in the hallway will be nice."

Maynard will be an instructor at the high school, but the details haven't been finalized for that position.

According to Russell athletic director Sam Sparks, the school received around 30 applications for the position, which hadn't been open since McGlone took over in 1976. Sparks said the school interviewed and/or talked to four prospective coaches. Maynard was interviewed on Sunday, Feb. 9.

"T.J. brings a lot of intangibles to this job that helped make him stand out as a candidate," Sparks wrote in an email. "His familiarity with our school district, community and established traditions of our entire school and community were all things that helped make this decision."

McGlone established a perennial power in the peak of his Russell career. He was 316-151 overall, ranking him seventh all-time in Kentucky high school football, and he won state titles in 1978 and 2005.

Those numbers are untouchable, said Maynard.

"I don't worry about following a legend," he said. "I will never match up to what he's done there. I look at this as an honor to be the next coach after coach McGlone, not as a burden. I look at it as a challenge to continue what he started."

Maynard and McGlone have spoken since he made the decision, and they had "a good conversation," Maynard said.

"I would love to get coach back involved somehow around the program," he added. "Hopefully, with me being a former player, maybe that can happen."

Under Maynard, Russell will move away from the Wing-T offensive formation.

"We'll be in some type of spread," Maynard said. "I'm not saying we'll go in there and throw it 30 times a game — it's all dictated and predicated on the type of players we have."

Maynard departed a good deal of talent at Raceland, but he inherits a similar pool of skill at Russell. The Red Devils were 7-5 last season — the junior varsity and freshman teams experienced successful falls.

"A football team is made from January to April, so we're a little behind the 8-ball," Maynard said. "We've got to get in that weight room, build team chemistry."

Maynard hopes to revive the Rail Cities Bowl series between Raceland and Russell. The schools didn't face off in 2013. That would be the only game in which Maynard could take satisfaction with Raceland losing, he said.

"I love Raceland," he said. "I love the kids, the community, the administration. That's what made it tough. They have a great coaching staff there, we all got along and have fun together.

"I haven't slept for three weeks," he continued. "It's been miserable, because the Raceland job is such a good job. Usually, a coach leaves to try to better themselves or leave a bad situation. That's not the case here."

The bulk of the supporting coaching staff will remain intact at Russell. Garry Morris, Lee Evans, Tracy Edwards and Dave Caniff have already committed to being Maynard's assistants. The coach said he'll likely add two more.

Maynard expressed interest in helping coach girls basketball and softball, both sports his daughters are involved in. Alyssa also plays soccer.

Russell will formally introduce Maynard as the Red Devils' head football coach in the high school library today at 3 p.m.

Next for Raceland

Raceland athletic director Bill Farley said the school is proud to have had a "great string of high-caliber football coaches," and that Maynard was "no exception.

"In my book, he's of the highest caliber of coach, and highest caliber of person," Farley said. "I always tell our coaches here, 'Never let your job overshadow your family.' T.J. believes the same."

Farley said there are absolutely no bitter feelings as a result of Maynard's exit.

As for naming his replacement, Farley said "we're not going to rush into anything, but we're not going to take a long time, either. Our goal is to get to the state championship, and we want the right person in that position to lead us to the carpet.

"I can't sit here and tell you in two weeks or a month, we'll have a head coach," he said. "But we (Supt. Larry Coldiron, high school principal Mickey Dixon and Farley) will work diligently as we go through applications and the interview process.

"We have about 184 days before kickoff," he added.
"Some type of spread"

McKee is no spread QB (IMO) but a good player. I will watch this closely. I saw Russell 3 or 4 times last season and they had nice bones returning, but IMO not "spread" type talent.

We shall see folks....
McKee is very versatile. The kid has great hands. Smart too. Good instincts.
Spread Wing/Vear...screens. Much like what you saw out of Raceland with Messer in in the gun.
If you all remember, Maynard was a big time Wing T guy before coming to Raceland. If he's calling the offense, I could see him going with some spread wing t stuff.
How can one say McKee isn't a spread offensive QB when you've never seen him in that atmosphere yet? Lord knows we'll have the recievers. Tim Couch had good sucess with nickel and diming the defenses he faced without ever throwing many deep balls. I think we will have weapons all around to where it will be hard to defend.
We shall see. He might excel in that offense when it is said and done. I really hope Russell gets back to a semi finals caliber level. I am pulling for them.
Congrats to Coach Maynard. Very good coach.
You can spread people all over the field and still run trap and power plays. Only difference is you might be in gun some and you don't have a wingback, but you get the same results and you're using zone blocking. You saw how productive that can be when Raceland had Denton & Carver in the backfield, and yet you can still throw it around some.

TJ knows offense too...
Raceland has been very successful in the spread with average skill level QBs. Elkins had a tremendous career, both statistically and winning games, but skill wise he's 5"9 not super athletic and has a 35 yard arm. But I would argue there aren't many hs QBs out there with the heart and toughness of Elkins, he had a lot of intangibles that can't be measured. Point is, spread offense doesn't need d1 QBs to work. Just guys that want to work hard and can process information quickly.
Anyone who has followed Russell's JFL doesn't have to be sold on McKees toughness or heart. He knows passing lanes as well as running lanes and can tuck and run when needed. Our line will have nice size and strength as well.
PaytoPlay Wrote:We shall see. He might excel in that offense when it is said and done. I really hope Russell gets back to a semi finals caliber level. I am pulling for them.

I hope they get back to state championship caliber.
FBALL Wrote:I hope they get back to state championship caliber.

You have 4 years at least before that is going to be considered realistic Wink
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You have 4 years at least before that is going to be considered realistic Wink

Not sure that is even a possibility have you guys seen the new 3A alignment wow! I don't see Russell getting back to that level in quite sometime. The job TJ left Raceland will get to Bowling Green before Russell in my opinion simply because of 1A being watered down. Good luck the Red Devils they will need it in the new realignments, 3A might be one of the hardest classification.
russellpride Wrote:Not sure that is even a possibility have you guys seen the new 3A alignment wow! I don't see Russell getting back to that level in quite sometime. The job TJ left Raceland will get to Bowling Green before Russell in my opinion simply because of 1A being watered down. Good luck the Red Devils they will need it in the new realignments, 3A might be one of the hardest classification.

Guarantee they won't need a TTA busload of kids from Huntington to do it.
Ramcat77 Wrote:Guarantee they won't need a TTA busload of kids from Huntington to do it.

LOL ok not sure why you bringing that up but ok #moveon
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You have 4 years at least before that is going to be considered realistic Wink

Lol. We will see. Russell has some good pieces coming up. We will see how it gets put together.

One thing I do know is that these kids will work like they have never worked before.
Who will be coach at Raceland?
E's Army Wrote:Who will be coach at Raceland?

Nobody knows. They are in the process of taking applications. I've heard all kinds of rumors, some crazy and some plausible. Who knows, only time will tell, and it is quickly running out.
FBALL Wrote:Lol. We will see. Russell has some good pieces coming up. We will see how it gets put together.

One thing I do know is that these kids will work like they have never worked before.

Wink

You know I am hoping Russell regains the form of those teams from the early 2000's.... really respect that program and fanbase. Plus it might mean we see Midee on here more than once or twice per year.
russellpride Wrote:Not sure that is even a possibility have you guys seen the new 3A alignment wow! I don't see Russell getting back to that level in quite sometime. The job TJ left Raceland will get to Bowling Green before Russell in my opinion simply because of 1A being watered down. Good luck the Red Devils they will need it in the new realignments, 3A might be one of the hardest classification.

Given some time, TJ will get the job done.
TJ has the ability to take Russell back to the state title. He prepares well for games and has enough old school and enough new school football knowledge that I think the people at Russell will love. Offensively, you are going to run the ball. You may spread the field, but he still likes to keep the ball between the tackles when he can. He isnt afraid to throw the ball either. But, if you look at Raceland under his leadership, they have produced a 1,000 yard rusher each year with a supporting cast of a few 300-500 yard rushers, as well as a QB who never threw for less than 1,200 yards and a couple 1,000 yard recievers. BALANCE. I think McKee has plenty of arm to throw the ball. Elkins had a 35-40 yard arm, nothing phenominal, but if you can read defenses and look off defenders, you can get the ball in that 15-20 yard zone, and let the atheletes make some plays. Russell has the potential to see massive growth in the weightroom, whic is where they have been weak both offensively and defensively. I look for Russell to make noise in the playoffs this year and contend for a regional title. After that, who knows. You all got a great coach. Imo, possibly the only one, outside of Jerry Lucas, that could have taken over for Ivan. Hopefully TJ can get him involved in the program in some compacity. Hate for things to end the way they did. Footing for Russell, long as they arent on the opposing sidline!
TJ will do a great job but Russell will be in 3A so getting to the State title will be tough
In AAA on the East side of the state a trip to Bowling Green goes through Belfry. It will be tough for Russell to compete at that level for a couple of years, but they have the community support and kids that will make it possible. I am interested to see how this plays out. I don't see this as a GREAT hire. A solid hire for sure but not great. It can be made great with the right ingredients but will take some time IMO.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Wink

You know I am hoping Russell regains the form of those teams from the early 2000's.... really respect that program and fanbase. Plus it might mean we see Midee on here more than once or twice per year.

I still lurk. Not having kids playing right now makes it a tad less enjoyable. I had one that played during the mid 00's hayday. One that just graduated last year. The differences in the program from then till now is amazing. The oldest had a heck of a run. The middle son had a mediocre career.
Has Maynard finalized his coaching staff?
Pages: 1 2