Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Reds sign Homer Bailey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Reds pitcher Homer Bailey will definitely be part of the team's rotation for the long haul. He and the club avoided arbitration Wednesday by agreeing to a six-year, $105 million contract, a source told MLB.com.

The deal comes with a mutual option for a seventh year worth $25 million with a $5 million buyout.

The Reds have not announced the agreement.

"Not yet," general manager Walt Jocketty said when asked if the deal was done. "Hopefully by [Thursday] morning."

Following the Reds' first full-squad workout Wednesday afternoon, Bailey was not ready to discuss his deal.

"I think they wanted to wait until [Thursday]. I haven't even signed it yet," Bailey said.

Bailey's arbitration hearing was scheduled to be held Thursday in St. Petersburg, Fla.

A 27-year-old power right-hander, Bailey has a 49-45 lifetime record with a 4.25 ERA in 143 starts since making his big league debut in 2007.

Bailey has a combined 33-29 record with a 3.79 ERA over the past three seasons, and in 549 innings during that time, he has had a 3.4-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio, a 1.21 WHIP and 105 ERA+. He's also thrown two no-hitters, against the Pirates on Sept. 28, 2012, and against the Giants on July 2, 2013.

In 32 starts last season, Bailey was 11-12 with a career-best 3.49 ERA. He also achieved career bests in innings (209) and strikeouts (199).
What's your thoughts on this deal? Is it good for the reds or will end up being a bust?
I don't know if Bailey is worth that much, but the Reds needed to do something to keep him around. He's on the verge of a breakout season
I agree he is going to have a break out season. But that is a lot of money they have spent on 4 players in the past 2 years, with Votto, Phillips, Bruce and now Bailey it's around 63 million a year just on those players alone.
Don't get me wrong I'm glade to see the reds spending money to keep the good players around. I just hope this all works out for them.