Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Food Stamps and Welfare
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I agree some people need it, but the other day I saw a bunch of people walking out with buggies and buggies of pop, and working in retaile like I do I saw them use food stamps. I think it is called food stamps not pop stamps. My tax dollars go to that and I think it is being abused. What is everyone's opinion on the matter. Should it be tweeted or stay the same?
This has always been a problem.
Personally, I believe the only way to solve it is to completely cut it off. Otherwise, its going to be abused.
The system is so easily manipulated that it isn't even funny.

I had a friend that worked as a cashier at Food City a couple of years ago and some of the stuff he told me was unbelievable. People getting in excess of $350 in groceries paid for with a food stamp card and driving off in a $30,000+ vehicle. How are you eligible to get a food stamp card and be wearing $100+ shoes, driving newer vehicles, etc? I've also been told that restaurants have sent their employees to grocery stores to buy pounds of meat with a food stamp card and then they go back and sale in the restaurant.

Sure there are people out there that are deserving of some assistance and I'm fine with that, but the people that abuse the system are the ones who are eventually going to ruin it for the ones who actually deserve it.
This program has gotten to be so excessive that it's impossible to monitor, even if the politicians were so inclined to do....which they aren't.

I think it's a very needed program; and also incredibly abused.

My husband and I were eligible for the "state card" medical benefits and food stamps for the first few years of our marriage. We've never had either.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This has always been a problem.
Personally, I believe the only way to solve it is to completely cut it off. Otherwise, its going to be abused.

BlackcatAlum Wrote:The system is so easily manipulated that it isn't even funny.

I had a friend that worked as a cashier at Food City a couple of years ago and some of the stuff he told me was unbelievable. People getting in excess of $350 in groceries paid for with a food stamp card and driving off in a $30,000+ vehicle. How are you eligible to get a food stamp card and be wearing $100+ shoes, driving newer vehicles, etc? I've also been told that restaurants have sent their employees to grocery stores to buy pounds of meat with a food stamp card and then they go back and sale in the restaurant.

Sure there are people out there that are deserving of some assistance and I'm fine with that, but the people that abuse the system are the ones who are eventually going to ruin it for the ones who actually deserve it.

There is a way to avoid all the problems associated with foodstamps. The trouble obviously, is that they are so readily convertible to a form of currency. Therefore, the only way to end the corruption is to end foodstamps, loaded credit cards, coupons or whatever. Replacing them with the actual physical food. Then maybe we wouldn't be hearing about these welfare babies suffering from malnutrition because their boozing, sex addicted, drug addicted and dealing, mind altered parents of a sort, wouldn't be able to trade them for the afore mentioned contraband.

We cannot expect food stores to police the system for us. And the government method of allowing the corruption and abuse to just roll on pretending not to see it, doesn't work either. So, rather than asking some 19 year old cashier at a convenience store to ID food stamp card wielding offenders, let's go back to the old system. By all means, let's help those who need help.

When I was a teen I had friends whose families needed help from time to time. I saw how the welfare system worked back then and though very efficient, I can see how it would not be so palatable, as to inspire the cradle to grave recipients of modern day lore. Back then, folks went to the welfare office and got literal food commodities, not food stamps. These items were things like 5 pound bricks of American cheese, canned pork, various dried beans, flour, sugar, corn meal, lard, powdered eggs and milk, cereals and other items. Not exactly Red Lobster, but good solid food with which one could reasonably sustain his family.

If folks can get to the market, they can darn well get to the outlet of the government's choosing to receive their food. Same thing with clothing and the rest of it. This idea that we don't want to emotionally scar these folks tender psyches, by subjecting them to reality in forcing them to face the fact that they are on welfare, is just another example of how liberal's embedded in government want to pander to the masses. According to them, we must dignify welfare ala the vision of LBJ's Great Society. What a bunch of hog wash. Hence, the food cards I've seen at the grocery, are really cool looking credit cards with a waving American flag emblazoned on the front.

Such a system albeit revisited, would eliminate graft and corruption and folks would be motivated to aspire to a higher style of living through work. Real government created jobs would come into being as the result as well. Contractors would be needed to make distribution facilities suitable. And, government employees would be needed to work in said distribution. Spin off industry would evolve and corruption and theft would very nearly disappear. It's the computer age so, recipient's personal information would be entered into a data base, along with the amounts of commodities they stood to receive. Heck, the government could use those electric powered vehicles they are so high on to deliver the stuff to folks who were for whatever reason, justifiably homebound. :biggrin:
Oh, that's a great idea!!! My grandmother was the first school cook to be hired in Harlan County. I don't want to tell you how long ago that has been. Commodities were nearly all they had to feed the kids, but it was really good!! LOL I remember her trying to come up with new recipes that would be more accepting to the kids. Now, don't judge, but she use to make cheese fudge. So a lunch of pinto beans (cooked from scratch, not canned), hominy, yellow cornbread and cheese fudge was common in my early school years.

Now, everything wasn't so good. To be honest with you TRT, the powdered eggs pretty much sucked. BUT, they would make a cake as fluffy as you could get it, and pad the meatloaf well!!

Good memories!! My grandmother was a hoot and a half.

(Oh, and the p-nut butter...don't forget THAT!!)
Granny Bear Wrote:Oh, that's a great idea!!! My grandmother was the first school cook to be hired in Harlan County. I don't want to tell you how long ago that has been. Commodities were nearly all they had to feed the kids, but it was really good!! LOL I remember her trying to come up with new recipes that would be more accepting to the kids. Now, don't judge, but she use to make cheese fudge. So a lunch of pinto beans (cooked from scratch, not canned), hominy, yellow cornbread and cheese fudge was common in my early school years.

Now, everything wasn't so good. To be honest with you TRT, the powdered eggs pretty much sucked. BUT, they would make a cake as fluffy as you could get it, and pad the meatloaf well!!

Good memories!! My grandmother was a hoot and a half.

(Oh, and the p-nut butter...don't forget THAT!!)

Oh yeah, the peanut butter, how'd I forget that one? And the powdered eggs were bad but, if you added the cheese to them while frying and used salt, pepper and creamery butter, (forgot that one too) they weren't half bad.

Anyway, I figured with all the advances of our day, they'd likely have refrigerated goodies to enhance the program.
Ohh, the creamery butter!! LOL

I used to help my grandmother churn butter. (This is NOT the school cook) Anyway, THIS grandmother was a hateful old bag. She would make me scrub to my elbows until my arms were raw before she would let me churn. Then yell the whole time! LOL
Case in point of how they abuse the system...

Coach at the high school works "part-time" and his wife babysits kids out of their home. Because of this they qualify for government assistance because on paper he is the only one bringing home an income. They both are in their 30's and capable of getting full time jobs but they don't. They do however drive a car better than mine and shop at the mall on the weekends.

The system is broken and cannot be fixed. It must be thrown away and a new system must be forged. We have rewarded Americans for being lazy. Growing up you did everything you could to not be live on the system, today for whatever reason it seems more acceptable.

As I have stated before, someone on government assistance should not be able to have the same freedoms that I have. They shouldn't be able to buy cases of pop and snack foods. Instead, basic necessities.
What do you think of TRT's suggestion??
The pop that is bought by the cart load is sold to smaller stores, or to individuals, at a lower price than market value. Guess what the cash is spent on?
Granny Bear Wrote:What do you think of TRT's suggestion??

He makes a very good point. I wonder with a system like that if it would have any impact on food banks?
Granny Bear Wrote:What do you think of TRT's suggestion??

judgementday Wrote:He makes a very good point. I wonder with a system like that if it would have any impact on food banks?

Well, we know it has the distinction of having been the system that was in place for a number of years in the recent past. And, we know it works.

Additionally, only those who actually need relief are going to go to the trouble to go down to a distribution point and get food supplies. Contrast that against the able bodied, laying around the house waiting for Uncle Sam to come across so that the days of killing zombies, eating Cheetos and Twinkies, washed down with Mountain Dew, can continue. People these days aren't interested in the 'teach a man to fish' side of welfare. Case in point, I'm one of those who is a sucker for giving money to street beggars. I give them a fin and a warning. The warning being their need for God, in this world and the one to come. There was one occasion in which I varied my modus operandi however. On that occasion I offered to buy the person some food instead of giving the 5 dollars, he declined. And, although I have my own reasons for giving these folks money, I am under no delusions about what they want to use it for.

The point is, the takers would be dropping like flies under a return to a commodities system of relief. And, though I'm no fan of Keynesian Economics, everybody who contributed to the program, from the food vendors, to the truck drivers, to the food service personnel, would be paid for their services. Waste and fraud would be eliminated, and the folks who actually need help would get what they need. The free loaders with options, would get off the gravy train at the next stop.
TheRealThing Wrote:Well, we know it has the distinction of having been the system that was in place for a number of years in the recent past. And, we know it works.

Additionally, only those who actually need relief are going to go to the trouble to go down to a distribution point and get food supplies. Contrast that against the able bodied, laying around the house waiting for Uncle Sam to come across so that the days of killing zombies, eating Cheetos and Twinkies, washed down with Mountain Dew, can continue. People these days aren't interested in the 'teach a man to fish' side of welfare. Case in point, I'm one of those who is a sucker for giving money to street beggars. I give them a fin and a warning. The warning being their need for God, in this world and the one to come. There was one occasion in which I varied my modus operandi however. On that occasion I offered to buy the person some food instead of giving the 5 dollars, he declined. And, although I have my own reasons for giving these folks money, I am under no delusions about what they want to use it for.

The point is, the takers would be dropping like flies under a return to a commodities system of relief. And, though I'm no fan of Keynesian Economics, everybody who contributed to the program, from the food vendors, to the truck drivers, to the food service personnel, would be paid for their services. Waste and fraud would be eliminated, and the folks who actually need help would get what they need. The free loaders with options, would get off the gravy train at the next stop.

I agree with you 100%, but that bolded statement is so vivid!!
:lmao:
Granny Bear Wrote:I agree with you 100%, but that bolded statement is so vivid!!
:lmao:

Yeah, these folks maybe are not quite as classy in the minds of liberals as is "Pajama Boy." But, they are none the less embraced by the left, who believe, albeit a belief born of self delusion, that they have successfully 'legislated' man to a higher level, a utopian level in fact. Just saying something don't make it so, (unless you're a liberal.) Their world is all make believe anyway so, reality to them is limited only by their imagination. You know--- "Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can, No need for greed or hunger, A brotherhood of man, Imagine all the people, Sharing all the world..." I mean, the government might pass a law forcing folks to drive only cars that have governors installed which limit their speed to 55 miles an hour, that's coming btw, but only the sublimely simple minded among us (the liberals), would pass laws fundamentally transforming America which, in effect say, "Don't Worry Be Happy," and think they will work, or more precisely, that somehow folks will be happy. :lame:

Anyway, to consummate liberals like Nancy Pelosi, zombie killing as a profession, ranks up there with painting, sculpting, opening a shop selling marijuana, regular slice of apple pie Americana stuff. And thanks to ObamaCare according to her, these folks are released from a prison she calls job-lock, which only served to keep them working in order to keep their health insurance, and are now freed to enjoy their constitutionally guaranteed right to "Pursue happiness." :biglmao:

The Constitution does in fact guarantee the right to pursue happiness. Nowhere does it promise that government will give them happiness in the form of, among other things, unending entitlements. BIG difference.
"The Constitution does in fact guarantee the right to pursue happiness. Nowhere does it promise that government will give them happiness in the form of, among other things, unending entitlements. BIG difference. "

And to that statement, RealThing, I say a hearty AMEN!