Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who will be the next coach at Raceland?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Do the Rams stay in house & replace from within or open it up to outsiders?
I'm guessing they stay in house and promote Sammons, I'll stop there.
What about Vanderhoof? Do any ya'll from Raceland think he would entertain the idea at coming back , or if he had a shot at taking the job back if he wants it? I think Raceland would benefit by having him back at the helm.
Like I said in the Russell thread I would like to see Lewis take it, but if not him go talk to Mason County and see if they can talk David Buchanan into coming to Raceland....Randy Vanderhoof may want to take it back if asked.
Randy has things going the way he wants them right now.I don't see him getting back into it,I would love it,but don't see it happening.I think Raceland should do what Russell did in cutting lose all of the staff.That way the person that does the hiring can't be strong armed into somebody on the staff.They can't say if so and so doesn't get the job Iam not coaching and Iam not giving up my teaching spot for another hire.This has been done in the past.

I have a funny for everybody TJ to Russell and Nate to Raceland:biglmao::biglmao::biglmao: I would burn everything Racelad I have.
The new head guy at Raceland will be Salmons. And that will not go over well in the community from what I gather.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Randy has things going the way he wants them right now.I don't see him getting back into it,I would love it,but don't see it happening.I think Raceland should do what Russell did in cutting lose all of the staff.That way the person that does the hiring can't be strong armed into somebody on the staff.They can't say if so and so doesn't get the job Iam not coaching and Iam not giving up my teaching spot for another hire.This has been done in the past.

I have a funny for everybody TJ to Russell and Nate to Raceland:biglmao::biglmao::biglmao: I would burn everything Racelad I have.

I would too if I had anything associated with Raceland left. I would have a hard time admitting that I graduated from if Nate is hired.
Fanman Wrote:The new head guy at Raceland will be Salmons. And that will not go over well in the community from what I gather.
Didn't he play for Raceland? Why would it not go well in the community?
I would not be surprised if Vanderhoff takes over again. Just a gut feeling, 2008 still is burning him up.
Personally, I would like to see Raceland look outside the program for their next coach. Who are some names outside of Raceland that may be thrown around as good candidates?
I know that Salmons is i the mix with the highest chance for getting the hire, There are a few others inside the system that will apply, but i dont think there's any chance that it's them. I also know that there are several outsiders, from a fee NKY/CKY/WKY that i know for a fact contacted the school administration about coaching jobs. One of which has a few 4a titles and another has been OC for one another big name school. My gut says they will hire within, but i think it's a mistake. Raceland's been doing that since BTR. I think it's time to start a new. I do however, think that who ever takes the job, wilk have to be someone with broad shoulders. I think the good ol' boy system is almost out the door.

I alao know that the next HC will have to be someone that is involved in the feeder system and jfl. Thats become a huge part of Maynards approach.
I hope they do the right thing and don't hire Salmons.The really have a chance to go a different direction.It would be dumb on there part not to listen to other options and take a chance to get a big hire.Scotty I've herd the same things your talking about and some pretty big names but did not believe it at the time.Now that somebody els has herd it it gives me hope but not much.Who does the hiring Larry or is a board thing.
I don't think Salmons is ready to be a head coach. I thought he had problems running the offense last year. I would like to see Vanderhoof take the job, but I don't think that is realistic. I think the guy from Ironton (never can remember his name) would be a good choice, but isn't he an older guy? I would really like to see a coach from outside the system take over. If Nate was to get hired, I would burn the city down.

Just kidding.
Nate will not be coaching anywhere next season. He is taking some time away from it all. People need to let all that crap go. Its over, its done, lets talk subject. I was SHOCKED at some of the names. And those are not rumors, those are facts. There are pros and cons to a system hire. Things dont change and the players routines arent affected, but at the same time, things dont change. Its a double edged sword. I think they need to go outside of the system. There's almost a 0 chance of Hoof coming back, i dont think he even wants it.
Though, from my understanding no one has officially and legally been offered or applied for the position.
This program is on the precipice of taking that next step and I don't think achieving that next step will happen with hiring from within.
It has to be posted before the can apply and if the give it to Salmons they don't have to post it right Scotty?
I would venture to say that you guys bashing Salmons know very little to nothing about coaching football. Salmons has been a big part of the Rams recent success. Extremely smart, always prepared down to every detail, and will work his tail off. There are no issues with the current staff, move somebody up, keep staff in tact and keep rolling on.
From what I understand, Any teaching or certified position has to be posted for atleast 30 days. I dont believe the head coach job falls into that category. I also agree with Ramcat that if the program is to continue in the direction that is has the last couple years, which is on the up and up, they need to hire a Maynard type guy, but imo, they need to hire a more offensive minded HC. Salmons biggest flaw is the same exact flaw that Vanderhoof had. Predictability in play calling. Whoever takes the job will have alot of weapons at their disposal. I have also heard that the administration doesnt want to lose Salmons and several other staff members, so that in itself could affect an outsiders outlook on what they could do with the program. I disagree with the statement that a hire of Salmons would be the beginning of the end. Grizzle is staying at Raceland, from what I understand. If Salmons is made HC, you may very well see him at OC, which is imo, the most sensable move. Salmons was a DL at Thomas Moore, he has alot of guys on staff who were great defensive players and some good former OL in Francis and Beek. Word on the street is Robby Logan may very well be on the staff next year, if the new HC doesnt clea house.

Let me say this though. Many think that having "homers" on staff is a negative. Those types of homers arent on the staff. The position coahes are younger and recently removed from the college level, many. If Salmons is the HC, Raceland will not miss a beat as long as the OC/DC are addressed in the right manner. Raceland will be fine. Trust me on that one.
Im telling you people, losing Grizzle would hae been a bigger loss than Maynard in the long run.
NoPicks Wrote:I would venture to say that you guys bashing Salmons know very little to nothing about coaching football. Salmons has been a big part of the Rams recent success. Extremely smart, always prepared down to every detail, and will work his tail off. There are no issues with the current staff, move somebody up, keep staff in tact and keep rolling on.

I believe most teams has better assistant than head coaches.And I am a believer you should look on the sideline first...just saying. :mop:
NoPicks Wrote:I would venture to say that you guys bashing Salmons know very little to nothing about coaching football. Salmons has been a big part of the Rams recent success. Extremely smart, always prepared down to every detail, and will work his tail off. There are no issues with the current staff, move somebody up, keep staff in tact and keep rolling on.

This is an open forum and a free country and I've told you before I don't give a rat's ass what you think about my opinion.
Can we please not turn this into the same crao it always does. If u all have issues, pm each other, get over it, or find eachother and hash out over a tackle burger at Rams Dairy Bar.
Or the chicken plank dinner over at Corner Cone
This is going to get uuggggly,what gets me upset is if there is a better hire they won't even look at it.They will use the good ol boy system no matter what.Salmons is not the worst hire,I just think they need to look at all options and take the best one.
the good ole boy system will cost wins and losses, good and bad depending on the personnel of players and coaches who have benefited from the buddy sytem. In the end, it always results in never quit getting to the top,as we have witnessed.

As for Salmons, he is a tireless worker, but I have never heard a player who liked him at all. Sometimes that means something.

In the end,Raceland will be fine. TJ was/is vastly overrated as a coach.What has he won? 1 district title in a watered down district.

We need a coach who cares about the players, on the field and in the classroom as well as win on the field. If a hire is made from within the same ole things can be expected. A new coach with 0 ties however, needs to make his own hires for assts, wheter he keeps all or any. It should be their job to run as they see fit.
Everybody keeps saying if a new guy will keep or bring in a new staff.I don't get that,this is not the NFL or collage.A new coach comes in and whatever staff wants to stay stays.These guys are teachers then coaches.There are only so many teaching jobs that can be had.Nobody is going to come in and bring his own staff.
I would expect a new coach to do things their own way. Some assts may stay and some go.

I feel for the players who are told to buy in to this family bs and then their leader aborts, as stated before, for years have been told Tj would stick around till this class of sr's were done. I feel bad for ole Ivan. It all adds up folks.
I sad all along that TJ would go as soon as the Russell job opened.Thats why I didn't want them to hire him.I don't blame TJ that's his school where he was taught to buy in,give all and be family.Now he gets to be the hero and bring them back.But as Rams we all knew this was comming.If a x ram was coaching at Russell and was called home he would come,it's just the way it is.
voice of reason Wrote:I would expect a new coach to do things their own way. Some assts may stay and some go.

I feel for the players who are told to buy in to this family bs and then their leader aborts, as stated before, for years have been told Tj would stick around till this class of sr's were done. I feel bad for ole Ivan. It all adds up folks.

Think if you were in Tjs situation why wouldn't he take the job? I would definitely want to coach at my highschool I graduated from... Yeah the timing sucks but there shouldn't be any hard feelings I just finished my senior season with Tj and he is one of the greatest coaches and people I know. People need to lay off He brought raceland their first region and yeah he preaches family .. He'll always be a ram no matter where he goes.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:I sad all along that TJ would go as soon as the Russell job opened.Thats why I didn't want them to hire him.I don't blame TJ that's his school where he was taught to buy in,give all and be family.Now he gets to be the hero and bring them back.But as Rams we all knew this was comming.If a x ram was coaching at Russell and was called home he would come,it's just the way it is.

I don't agree. Really one will stick with the best job. I like to see my old school do well, but it is about the job. I can't wait to hear all the "Tj will always be part of the Ram family" etc all bs his allegiance is to Tj and I agree he wasn't a good hire in the 1st place. It will be a mistake if they hire from within. The same ole buddy system,relatives etc....but if that's what clicks and keeps everyone happy so be it. How many state championship trophys does Raceland have now? ....the same amount we will have 10 years from now. I would rather have new blood with 0 ties to anyone. We don't need a buddy, we need a coach.

The timing of this however matches with this sr class's last year and McGlone being shown the door. I doubt Tj would have left for Russell until now......imho, this was talked about over a year or so ago. I mean, McGlone had earned the right to go out on his own terms. No one likes to look at the obvious.
Jarons Wrote:Didn't he play for Raceland? Why would it not go well in the community?
I would not be surprised if Vanderhoff takes over again. Just a gut feeling, 2008 still is burning him up.
Personally, I would like to see Raceland look outside the program for their next coach. Who are some names outside of Raceland that may be thrown around as good candidates?

Salmons did play there, but he has been criticized quite a bit while being offensive coordinator under Maynard, and like it or not, there are a lot of people in Raceland that do not care much for him as a coach. I don't really care either way, but I agree the right thing to do would be open it up and hire the best man for the job, whether outside or in...and not have the next guy picked from within before the job even officially comes open.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5