Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who were some of the best girl basketball players in the mts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Old School...., two come to mind. Geri Grigsby- McDowell and Peggy Gay - Buckhorn .
Kim Mays from Knox Central, is the best I ever saw.
Kim Jones/ 1989 State Champ (Union College)
Vonda Jackson (UK)
Clay County Lady Tigers/ Coach Donnie Gray
Carla Booth, Robin Harmon-Newsome, Mandy Harmon from sheldon clark just to name top 3
oh and how could i forget Miss B Ball herself Ida Bowen
Peggy gay was one of the best to play . She played very early in the infancy of organized girls basketball,her highest scoring output was somewhere around 70 points.She averaged ,don't hold me to this I think around 50 points a game.she started point guard at Eastern kentucky u an for quite a long time was there all time leading scorer. When they almost upset Tenn who were ranked #1 at the time ,she scored 25 or 30, after the game coach pat raved about her play an wished she had recruited her to Tenn.She was drafted by the Pillidelpha Foxes,the pro basketball league ,she played several years . Side note, outstanding baseball player, started 3rd base for buckhorn. Coached several years at Breathitt county,Inducted into kentucky highschool hall of fame, her oldest son is currently the football coach at Breathitt.
^^
Wow!!!

I remember a girl, I believe she played as Hazard....Bridgette (?) Combs. Also, Debbie Green...coach of Middlesboro girls, Sandy Lee and Tiffany Hamm. Just off the top of my head. Smile
In my lifetime i would haveto pick peggy gay.I rememeber buckhorn girls was playing leslie county.she score like 40pts before halftime by the end of the 3rd qtr she had score i think 58pts.An i remember telling my team mates sure hope she dosen't play on the boys team..She was that good :blondedri
Granny Bear Wrote:^^
Wow!!!

I remember a girl, I believe she played as Hazard....Bridgette (?) Combs. Also, Debbie Green...coach of Middlesboro girls, Sandy Lee and Tiffany Hamm. Just off the top of my head. Smile

I think Combs played at Whitesburg - a Mrs. Basketball in the early 80s.
All those were great players, but the best I have ever covered was Lori Kluck.
^^
I think you're correct. I've never seen an effort given by the one I saw give that night! I had forgotten about Lori, and am ashamed!! I coached her and against her!! When she was in 6th grade, Hall High had the grade school girl's tournament. The Morris twins, Lori, Lisa Andrews....started against my team from Rosspoint. That would've been Linda Maggard, Laura Maggard, Lisa (point guard) and my daughter. They liked to have killed each other! LOL Great game. Both were undefeated until they met in the championship game. Rosspoint ended up beating them 65\60. As usual, free throws at the end of the game made the difference.
Gay was a super athlete .Seen her play third base for Buckhorn boys baseball when I played for Lee. Geri Grigsby averaged 46.1 points as a senior for McDowell in 1977. She was also voted Miss Kentucky Basketball and went on to play for UK. She had highs of 81 and 66 in high school. Gay had an outstanding career at EKU as mentioned earlier and indeed went on to the pros. Several trophies and uniforms including her pro jersey used be in the Buckhorn school trophy case. Two great players.
Summer Jones was a very good player at Shelby Valley, signed with ETSU before tearing her ACL.
Old school- Sharon Garland, Laurel County
Jamie Heflin from Belfry had a long and distinguished HS career.

The tall girl from Jackson County who played at UK whose name escapes me right now.
From Morehead State Hall of Fame
Irene Moore Strong
Induction Class of 2004
Women's Basketball
Irene (Moore) Strong was a four-year starter for the Eagle women’s basketball team from 1978-82. Strong was the point guard for the Eagles and is best known for her ball-handling and passing skills while at MSU.

Strong was named Miss Kentucky Basketball in 1978 during her senior season at Breathitt County High School (Ky.). As a freshman she was named to the All-Ohio Valley Conference team and the All-OVC Freshman team. During her freshman year she averaged 11.2 points and handed out 121 total assists.

Strong’s best performance came against Northern Kentucky in the 1980-81 season when she handed out a school-record 16 assists.

Return to List
Diogenes Wrote:Jamie Heflin from Belfry had a long and distinguished HS career.

The tall girl from Jackson County who played at UK whose name escapes me right now.

Sarah Elliot?
Christi Combs from MC Napier 94 state championship team
The two girls, I played many games on dirt court were Peggy gay my 1st cousin an Christy combs who I grew up with , we lived 2 houses from each other.
Tonya Brumley from clay county. 2 time ALL American. played for 2 different coll. and was in the top 10 scorers of all time at both.
Sarah Elliot at Jackson Co. comes to mind.
Kristie Combs- State Champion and KHSAA HOF. Kendall Noble, Kayla Rankin, Jodi Sizemore, along with the others menyioned before like Peggy Gay, etc
Teresa Ray and Marsha Charles from Pikeville's 1980 30-1 team. Karissa (Carter) Porter from Pikeville also. Over 2100 career points, and I think she's also in top 10 career at UPike? All 3 were All State at one point or another.