Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville's #13 Cody Estep WR/S 2013 Junior Highlights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can't say enough about what a pleasure it is to watch Cody Estep play in the Maroon and White. Could leave PHS with a number of records including the two he already has: Most career receiving TDs (40) and Most takeaways in a season (12). He is within reach of Jeremiah Akers record for career receiving yards (2,538 yards to 3,180 yards), Career takeaways (If I heard correctly, he is already tied with Chris McNamee) without playing a lot of defense as a freshmen due to a lingering hamstring issue, and I would think YPC in a career as he is at 25+ currently.

Estep's 2013 season was one of the best for a receiver in PHS history and probably the most efficient:

4 Rushes, 45 yards, 1 TD
43 Receptions, 1,025 yards, 15 TDs

5 INTs, 127 Yards, 1 TD
7 Fumble Recoveries, 214 yards, 4 TDs

1,511 total yards (excluding kick/punt returns) and 21 Total TDs

Career to date:

102 Receptions, 2,538 Rec Yards, 40 Rec TDs
22 Carries, 153 Rush Yards, 4 Rush TDs
44 Offensive TDs

12 Fumble Recoveries, 347 ret yards, 6 TDs
11 Interceptions, 375 ret yards, 4 TDs
10 Defensive TDs

1 Kick Return for a TD

*53 Total TDs, 3,398 Total Yards not including KR/PR*

This had to be one of your favorite ones to do, PT!!! Thanks for posting it!!
Cody is a pleasure to watch. 2014 should be even bigger for him. Thanks PT for the highlights.
This kid is quick as a cat, a shame he's over there stuck playing in Maroon and losing to us every year because he would have looked fantastic in red Tongue

All jokes aside, he is a HOUSE threat any time he touches the ball. Very dangerous weapon and one Pikeville will rely on big time if they want to make the march to Bowling Green in 2014.
He is most certainly a difference maker with or without the ball, I've seen him make some blocks that have resulted in extra yards gained. I enjoy watching him compete individually and for his teammates.
He has great football instincts to go with his speed.
He is going to make some school very, very happy.

Plays much bigger than his measurables. He is the type of kid I would like to see a smaller FBS school take a chance on like a MAC school or a Sun-Belt/C-USA. Easily one of the better "true football players" in the State next year.

Would have been nice for him to play SE at Belfry next year and have Keaton throw to him and take over Sani's spot on defense... Big Grin
Great player. If he had more size he would get more chatter. What is he, 5'7-8" 160?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:He is going to make some school very, very happy.

Plays much bigger than his measurables. He is the type of kid I would like to see a smaller FBS school take a chance on like a MAC school or a Sun-Belt/C-USA. Easily one of the better "true football players" in the State next year.

Would have been nice for him to play SE at Belfry next year and have Keaton throw to him and take over Sani's spot on defense... Big Grin

I really hope someone takes a chance on him. Like you said, small in stature, but you won't find a better kid to coach and him just pick it up. Very football smart. He hasn't gotten a ton of exposure, but if he suited up for Bowling Green or Highlands, he would be in talks for 1st team all-state, IMO. I get so caught up thinking about his future, that you forget to appreciate what a good high school player he is.

There are some pretty nice schools in contact with him, I hope one of them will pull the trigger. One of the schools he has talked with would be AWESOME if no D-I teams come forward.

And yeah, maybe Estep could have covered himself on that route he burnt Sani for the TD Confusedhh: (Let me now insert that Belfry has dominated the scoreboard for a few years now) There all even.

E's Army Wrote:He has great football instincts to go with his speed.

You hit the nail on the head. His instincts are the best I have seen. At a certain point, it isn't luck that Estep is in position to pick up a fumble lol. He has a knack for knowing where to position himself basically saying in a split second, "If this ball gets knocked out, I need to be over here." He forced about 8 fumbles and 3 of them he literally just took the ball from the ball carrier and started running, scoring on 2 of them. He has an unreal ability to anticipate blocks (except his Freshman year at Fairview on a screen where he scores easily if he cuts outside on Campoy's block and I may never get over that play as it made our work a lot more tough lol) and be patient and calmly navigate through the traffic and then, Bam, he's gone.

PaytoPlay Wrote:Great player. If he had more size he would get more chatter. What is he, 5'7-8" 160?

If he was 6 feet tall, about every school in the country would be calling (Unfortunately for him, he goes to Pikeville where there is a limit and no students are allowed to be over 6'1). Listed 5'10, probably closer to 5'8.
Panther Thunder Wrote:And yeah, maybe Estep could have covered himself on that route he burnt Sani for the TD Confusedhh: (Let me now insert that Belfry has dominated the scoreboard for a few years now) There all even.

PT, Sani told me he'd like to try to cover Estep again but he knew he definitely wouldn't be able to run with him with the weight of his state ring on his hand Confusednicker::1:

Just kidding around. You know, buddy, I used to follow you on Twitter (mainly for scores) and after we lost to Central in 2012 you posted something along the lines of 3 > 2 (regarding state championships), and it was the FIRST damn thing I saw after the game and I unfollowed you. Just thought you'd appreciate that story. I know you weren't being a douche or anything, cause I know you don't know me, but man that sucked. Was one of the first things I thought of when I got on Twitter after this year.

Btw... 3 = 3! Pike County Pride '87, '88, '89, '03, '04, '13! We seem to win them in bunches around here, so here's to hoping '14 brings a new one to Pond Creek and somewhere along the way my buddy Jordan Scott wins himself one in maroon.
Belfry0304 Wrote:PT, Sani told me he'd like to try to cover Estep again but he knew he definitely wouldn't be able to run with him with the weight of his state ring on his hand Confusednicker::1:

Just kidding around. You know, buddy, I used to follow you on Twitter (mainly for scores) and after we lost to Central in 2012 you posted something along the lines of 3 > 2 (regarding state championships), and it was the FIRST damn thing I saw after the game and I unfollowed you. Just thought you'd appreciate that story. I know you weren't being a douche or anything, cause I know you don't know me, but man that sucked. Was one of the first things I thought of when I got on Twitter after this year.

Btw... 3 = 3! Pike County Pride '87, '88, '89, '03, '04, '13! We seem to win them in bunches around here, so here's to hoping '14 brings a new one to Pond Creek and somewhere along the way my buddy Jordan Scott wins himself one in maroon.
Haha. I have never been one to root for a rival. Just can't do it. But, I do respect what they have accomplished and will always give congratulations when due. And I am all for good spirited smack talk, guys like JP, EKU can do it well without taking it personal and I will enjoy the banter this September.

I also remember likening Belfry and Central to Moby Dick. I guarantee you all don't care how you got it, but I bet it would have been a lot sweeter to get it against Central. Just as if we ever win another, I hope that bunch from Ft. Mitchell is accepting the 2nd place trophy.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Haha. I have never been one to root for a rival. Just can't do it. But, I do respect what they have accomplished and will always give congratulations when due. And I am all for good spirited smack talk, guys like JP, EKU can do it well without taking it personal and I will enjoy the banter this September.

I also remember likening Belfry and Central to Moby Dick. I guarantee you all don't care how you got it, but I bet it would have been a lot sweeter to get it against Central. Just as if we ever win another, I hope that bunch from Ft. Mitchell is accepting the 2nd place trophy.

That's one scenario all Pikeville fans can live with, imo. :biggrin:
Great Video
Cody does a great job on interceptions, letting the blockers set up, and then he burns it to the end zone. Shows patience on his part, as well as good down field vision.