Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Whitley Co. 74 Middlesboro 71
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good road win for the young Colonels on Mboro senior night and homecoming!
Two up and down teams
Very interesting game. Colonels fall down by 8 early and go on a 12-0 run to take the lead. It was a lead they would never give up. Whitley led by as many as 16 and looked like they were going to blow the Jackets out. At that point, Middlesboro made a run (two or three times literally) with their heads down to the bucket and hit some threes and cut the lead to 1 at one point. Whitley responded by making plays and making free throws and avoided a last second shot to survive and take the win back home. Good Road Win for the Colonels. At times they were still passing on good shots and did not attack the basket, but any win on the road is a good one.
Middlesboro has what everyone in the region say are two of the top 10 players in region. Was pick to be in top 5 and have a record of 6-17. WHY?
WhyLie Wrote:Middlesboro has what everyone in the region say are two of the top 10 players in region. Was pick to be in top 5 and have a record of 6-17. WHY?

Wondering the same thing.
WhyLie Wrote:Middlesboro has what everyone in the region say are two of the top 10 players in region. Was pick to be in top 5 and have a record of 6-17. WHY?

They have two of the best athletes in the region but there is no discipline on the team, they don't hustle and if you make 5 passes they stop playing defense, and it usually results in an easy basket. Out of control most of the time and are more interested in style rather than substance. Woods was able to break the press with smarts and changing speed on the dribble. When he would beat a defender they would slow up and not get into the half court in time to help defend. Several times Whitley was playing 5 on 4.:HitWall:

The real turning point in the game was a play where Foister threw it off the back board for a slam by Poindexter, he missed it went out of bound and Whitley went down and hit a three pointer, that was a 5 point turnaround, instead of a 10 point lead, it was cut to five.

It looked like if they could not just outscore you they would not be interested in stopping you.

I think there are several coaches who if they had that kind of talent could win the region. Middlesboro has the talent but not the drive to be a great team. They could get on a roll in the post season and knock someone out but they cannot string together enough periods of good play to win a district or region.
I not going to be a critical as Dietpepsi. I think their team speed really hurts them. They are just not fast or quick. I don't really mean OMG slow but just not fast or quick.
Congrats to Whitley 14th win....only has 13 wins last 2 years combine. 8 last year and lost all 5 starters off that team. Only 1 senior this year.
I don't know about top five. I think they were more like 7th or 8th coming into the year. They have two players in the top 10, or close to it, but they did lose five seniors from last year's regional semifinal team.
It was been a disappointing season so far overall, but they weren't playing that well last year and got hot at the end. They are still dangerous. They beat Harlan County and lost to Bell by one.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:They have two of the best athletes in the region but there is no discipline on the team, they don't hustle and if you make 5 passes they stop playing defense, and it usually results in an easy basket. Out of control most of the time and are more interested in style rather than substance. Woods was able to break the press with smarts and changing speed on the dribble. When he would beat a defender they would slow up and not get into the half court in time to help defend. Several times Whitley was playing 5 on 4.:HitWall:

The real turning point in the game was a play where Foister threw it off the back board for a slam by Poindexter, he missed it went out of bound and Whitley went down and hit a three pointer, that was a 5 point turnaround, instead of a 10 point lead, it was cut to five.

It looked like if they could not just outscore you they would not be interested in stopping you.

I think there are several coaches who if they had that kind of talent could win the region. Middlesboro has the talent but not the drive to be a great team. They could get on a roll in the post season and knock someone out but they cannot string together enough periods of good play to win a district or region.

Dietpepsi is dead on right. I saw the same thing in them.