Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Official Matt Elam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It is official. Matt Elam has chosen UK over Alabama.

Thank you Mr. Elam. Great addition for the BBN.
If I am not mistaken, Matt could be the highest ranked recruit to ever sign with UK. He is currently ranked 21st overall in the nation.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:If I am not mistaken, Matt could be the highest ranked recruit to ever sign with UK. He is currently ranked 21st overall in the nation.

Micah Johnson was the highest ranked player ever.

TOP 100 PROSPECTS FROM KENTUCKY
Rank Player College Class Recruiting service
9 Micah Johnson Kentucky 2006 Scout and ESPN
21 Matt Elam ????????? 2014 247Sports
21 James Quick Louisville 2013 Scout
28 Michael Bush Louisville 2005 Rivals
37 Justin Miller Clemson 2002 Scout
43 Hunter Bivin Notre Dame 2013 247Sports
45 Lamar Dawson Southern Cal 2011 Rivals
78 Brian Brohm Louisville 2004 Rivals
80 Earl Heyman Louisville 2005 Scout
82 Justin Green Illinois 2009 Rivals
83 Cory Zirbel Michigan 2005 Rivals
95 Rob Smith Tennessee 2002 Rivals
97 James McKinney Michigan 2005 Scout
This is a great addition to the cats. Glad to see stoops is working his butt off to keep homegrown talent in state. Something joker could never do!! Congrats to mr Elam and BBN!!
I have not seen him play, but hearing from people who did, I hope he improves a lot and hope the college game is better suited for him than the HS game.
You want him to improve from being #21??

Now, if Harris would reconsider..that might be a nice combo!!!
sstack Wrote:I have not seen him play, but hearing from people who did, I hope he improves a lot and hope the college game is better suited for him than the HS game.

I think you are being told from people who have seen him play one game. I probably know the game they are referring to, and yes, that was not one of his better games (stamina/heat were an issue for him that game). That being said, I have seen him play the last three years and he has the potential to be a very good player for UK. One way I have always measured Elam's effectiveness was to see how the other D-Lineman did as well as the linebackers and their stats are off the charts because of the focus and attention most teams gave to him.
according to the Herald, three different scouting sites had him ranked very differently.
One had him at 21, one at like over 100 and another one hardly even had him ranked.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:according to the Herald, three different scouting sites had him ranked very differently.
One had him at 21, one at like over 100 and another one hardly even had him ranked.

247 =5*
ESPN= High 4*
Rivals= Highest 3*

From what I have seen he has 5* size and potential, but has performed at a low 3* level. Think a mid range 4* is most accurate.
he will be better when they get him in shape.
Are we forgetting Tim Couch? What was he ranked?
cougarpride08 Wrote:Are we forgetting Tim Couch? What was he ranked?

Couch was the best of the best.
Couccgot thrown to the Wolves in Cleveland. No run game and no oline. Had he been a mid-late 1st rd pick and got to sit and wait a few years, we'd be talking about him as one of the top qbs i the league rt now. Jmo.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Couccgot thrown to the Wolves in Cleveland. No run game and no oline. Had he been a mid-late 1st rd pick and got to sit and wait a few years, we'd be talking about him as one of the top qbs i the league rt now. Jmo.

I agree.they tried to get him killed.
I'm as thrilled as anyone that UK was able to reel in Matt Elam. Obviously he is the type of player they feel can anchor the defensive line, and knowing that Nick Saban wanted him as badly as he did, gives me confidence.

With that being said, I watched him get rolled up several times in the Army All-American game. I don't recall him ever making a nice play. I'm not talking about tackles, either. I never saw him control his gap or force a running back out of a hole.

I saw that his weight is an issue, as one media outlet reported he is closer to around 380 lbs. No doubt, Stoops will want him to get his weight down some, or he won't be able to survive when he is asked to play 60 snaps a game.
hoss403 Wrote:I think you are being told from people who have seen him play one game. I probably know the game they are referring to, and yes, that was not one of his better games (stamina/heat were an issue for him that game). That being said, I have seen him play the last three years and he has the potential to be a very good player for UK. One way I have always measured Elam's effectiveness was to see how the other D-Lineman did as well as the linebackers and their stats are off the charts because of the focus and attention most teams gave to him.

I'm assuming your probably talking about the DeSales game. I saw him, and actually sat next to some Alabama scouts. The kid has good size, he clearly wasn't in shape for that game which I think was JH's second of the season. He played hard about once every 3-4 downs. He spent a lot of time with his hands on his hips. We played him straight up, didn't double him. We had it in the game plan too if it was necessary but our guy said he could handle him, and he did. I'm sorry I'm just not buying into the hype with him. I hope he does well, I just see him having problems in the SEC.
TriCountySports Wrote:I'm as thrilled as anyone that UK was able to reel in Matt Elam. Obviously he is the type of player they feel can anchor the defensive line, and knowing that Nick Saban wanted him as badly as he did, gives me confidence.

With that being said, I watched him get rolled up several times in the Army All-American game. I don't recall him ever making a nice play. I'm not talking about tackles, either. I never saw him control his gap or force a running back out of a hole.

I saw that his weight is an issue, as one media outlet reported he is closer to around 380 lbs. No doubt, Stoops will want him to get his weight down some, or he won't be able to survive when he is asked to play 60 snaps a game.

1. He is too heavy and he will have to lose around 40 pounds to be effective. Everyone knows that.
2. He made two nice plays in the All American Game.
3. When he was in, the majority of run plays were not toward him. I don't know if any Defensive Tackle had a "good" All American Game because it is not designed for them to dominate.
4. I guess everyone either forgets or doesn't realize he injured his knee against Bullitt East in the Region Final. I saw him December 17th and he still had a noticeable limp going on so I actually think it was pretty amazing he was even able to compete at that level.
ColtPride Wrote:I'm assuming your probably talking about the DeSales game. I saw him, and actually sat next to some Alabama scouts. The kid has good size, he clearly wasn't in shape for that game which I think was JH's second of the season. He played hard about once every 3-4 downs. He spent a lot of time with his hands on his hips. We played him straight up, didn't double him. We had it in the game plan too if it was necessary but our guy said he could handle him, and he did. I'm sorry I'm just not buying into the hype with him. I hope he does well, I just see him having problems in the SEC.

Time will tell. Off the topic, do you know if we play you guys again next year?
Average or below average. A Bust!
hoss403 Wrote:Time will tell. Off the topic, do you know if we play you guys again next year?

I don't think so. If I had to guess we'll play Central Hardin this year, then E-town next, then you guys again after that.
In my near 10 years on this site, I've never seen as much negativity in one recruiting year as I've seen towards Drew Barker and Matt Elam. Both players where All-Americans and highly rated by most recruiting services. Each also had very impressive offers, from some of the top programs in the nation. I mean, when you steal a quarterback from Steve Spurrier and a defensive linemen from Nick Saban, then you've accomplished something. I don't care if you're Ohio State or USC. Taking players from those two guys is quite the accomplishment.

While I do think that Elam needs to be redshirted, I do not think that he's overrated. If he is committed to turning fat into muscle then he'll be a beast. At 6'6 and over 300lbs, there is A LOT you can do with that frame if you're willing to put in the work.

Looking forward to the spring game and football season!
Elam will be tough when he turns fat into muscle.he said himself he needs to lose weight. Nick Saban and Alabama don't recruit below average players.
pjdoug Wrote:Elam will be tough when he turns fat into muscle.he said himself he needs to lose weight. Nick Saban and Alabama don't recruit below average players.

Good luck to this young athlete. He will do just fine, but not great with UK system and coaching. Look me up in 2-3 season from now and tell me how well he is doing ( As a UK player that is ). Don't get me wrong, he will suceed as a scholar athlete.
ColtPride Wrote:I'm assuming your probably talking about the DeSales game. I saw him, and actually sat next to some Alabama scouts. The kid has good size, he clearly wasn't in shape for that game which I think was JH's second of the season. He played hard about once every 3-4 downs. He spent a lot of time with his hands on his hips. We played him straight up, didn't double him. We had it in the game plan too if it was necessary but our guy said he could handle him, and he did. I'm sorry I'm just not buying into the hype with him. I hope he does well, I just see him having problems in the SEC.

I was talking about the highlands game, so that is at least 2 games before injury when he was far from impressive.
380? Wouldn't Uk want him playing at 330 or so?
UK strength and conditioning coach will get the weight off. Is his first name "Rock"?
cougarpride08 Wrote:UK strength and conditioning coach will get the weight off. Is his first name "Rock"?

"Rock" Oliver