Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky product Jacob Tamme talks carpooling with Peyton Manning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Written by

Lindsay Jones

USA Today Sports

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Peyton Manning may have written the script for his next Buick commercial when speaking to reporters last week.
Just picture it.
Manning slips on his suit jacket, grabs his duffle bag and heads to the parking lot of the Denver Broncos team hotel, where he is joined by teammates Erin Decker and Jacob Tamme, one of three University of Kentucky products playing for the Denver Broncos.
They hop in Manning’s Buick sports utility vehicle, the Kentucky native Tamme snagging shotgun and Decker in the backseat, as they head north on I-25 toward Sports Authority Field at Mile High.
This is the routine the trio of Broncos established last year, along with a couple of other former teammates, and it has carried through to this season. They did it again on Sunday while driving to the stadium for the AFC Championship game.
“We feel fortunate to be playing still during this time and you realize you’re driving down on Sunday (to one of) two games being played, so you feel fortunate,” Manning said last Thursday. “That’s kind of part of our routine.”
Manning didn’t detail much more about the drives, but Tamme did.
There’s no arguing over the radio. In Manning’s car, they listen to Manning’s music, though there would hardly be an argument.
“We call Archie ‘Papa Bear’ and stuff on the way to the game. Orange cone, reroute,” Tamme said, a nod to Manning’s 2012 Buick commercial.
Tamme, after helping the Broncos to a victory over the New England Patriots on Sunday, will play in the Super Bowl XLVII on Feb. 2 along with fellow former UK players Danny Trevathan and Wesley Woodyard.
A good friend of mine graduated from KSP trooper academy during Tamme's senior year. Tamme's best friend also graduated from the academy and was there at the ceremony. I got to meet him, and was very impressed with how humble and friendly he was.