Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Whitley Co. 61 Corbin 50 Final
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Nice win for young Colonels, 1st time in LONG time.
Congrats to Colonels. 50th is very balanced this year.
Looks like Corbin is a sleeper Gut. Come on, man.
Let me say one thing, I was wrong in my previous assessment of how I thought the program would turn out with Overbey at the helm, but this guy is flat out getting this young kids to play some ball. Im amazed at watching a former girls assistant coach take a team with one senior, who doesn't even play btw, and compete and do things that ive seen 20 other Whitley coaches fail to do in my lifetime.
Kudos to this team. I still think Corbin is extremely tough and will get that one seed in this district, and with the region being as weak as it is, im excited for what the future holds for this team.
I was very surprised to see how much more dominant Whitley looked. I haven't seen that in a long time. If im not mistaken, the last time Whitley beat Corbin was in 94 when John Siler was the PG for Whitley and they had the Powers kid who could dunk like crazy.

Very happy with this team. Exceptional performance tonight. Now, go get the one seed.
This district is really balanced. Its going to come down to coaching, which is why Corbin has been my pick, but Overbey has surprised me.
I was giving you a hard time Gut. That's a good win for Whitley.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Let me say one thing, I was wrong in my previous assessment of how I thought the program would turn out with Overbey at the helm, but this guy is flat out getting this young kids to play some ball. Im amazed at watching a former girls assistant coach take a team with one senior, who doesn't even play btw, and compete and do things that ive seen 20 other Whitley coaches fail to do in my lifetime.
Kudos to this team. I still think Corbin is extremely tough and will get that one seed in this district, and with the region being as weak as it is, im excited for what the future holds for this team.
I was very surprised to see how much more dominant Whitley looked. I haven't seen that in a long time. If im not mistaken, the last time Whitley beat Corbin was in 94 when John Siler was the PG for Whitley and they had the Powers kid who could dunk like crazy.

Very happy with this team. Exceptional performance tonight. Now, go get the one seed.
This district is really balanced. Its going to come down to coaching, which is why Corbin has been my pick, but Overbey has surprised me.

I believe you are right about Overbey, he has Whitley playing sound, fundamental basketball. It will be interesting to watch their development over the next few years. The 50th District is going to be really strong in a couple of years with Whitley, South Laurel and Corbin having some good, young talent.
First time Whitley County has beaten a Corbin team since 94-95 and just the fourth time since 1988.

Here is our story -

RECAP: Whitley Co 61, Corbin 50
TriCountySports Wrote:First time Whitley County has beaten a Corbin team since 94-95 and just the fourth time since 1988.

Here is our story -

Good job on the recap.:Thumbs:
Thanks!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Let me say one thing, I was wrong in my previous assessment of how I thought the program would turn out with Overbey at the helm, but this guy is flat out getting this young kids to play some ball. Im amazed at watching a former girls assistant coach take a team with one senior, who doesn't even play btw, and compete and do things that ive seen 20 other Whitley coaches fail to do in my lifetime.

Is Corbin still the team to beat in the region?
HDE Wrote:Is Corbin still the team to beat in the region?

HDE never forgets! Ha!

So, HDE, do you think my Patriots can take out your man, Peyton Manning, this Sunday? I just told someone the other day that it isn't fair to be a Colts' fan because you guys pull for Indy and the Broncos!
Congratulations Whitley! Whitley looked more talented on the floor tonight and played hard. I fully expect it will be a great game when the two meet again @ Corbin.

I think they will be before the years over.
Corbin did play without there leading scorer in this one...
TriCountySports Wrote:First time Whitley County has beaten a Corbin team since 94-95 and just the fourth time since 1988.

Here is our story -

Good recap.
Congrats Whitley always good for the fans when you break a streak of losing a rivalry game. Sounds like they have found a coach that is getting results. Time will tell. Peace be among us. Brother Cecil.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think they will be before the years over.
Corbin did play without there leading scorer in this one...

Corbin was without a starter, but he's not the leading scorer. No excuses though, Whitley was just the better team, and unlike the previous several years, they also expected to win.

This district from top to bottom has never been more even.
Sometimes it's not about talent and Xo, it's about relationships with kids.
It was a great game! I think a lot of folks have underestimated Whitley this year. These boys have great team unity on and off the court. Combine that with talent and effort and I expect them to go places!
Good win for the Colonels, to keep a good rivalry healthy both teams needs to win.
insideinfo Wrote:Good win for the Colonels, to keep a good rivalry healthy both teams needs to win.

Listened on the radio. Sounded like Whitley just wanted it more and Corbin couldn't throw it in the ocean. Corbin has a tough stretch ahead of them. I hope they work the kinks out. I watched them play Williamsburg and they seemed to struggle in that one. They seem to have several who want to score and only a couple who want to play defense and rebound. Tony P will have them ready and don't be surprised if they win district again. Don't be surprised if any of the four win it though.

I still believe if Skyler Giffith can make it back Williamsburg will be a tough out in the district...My sleeper team. :HitWall:
The thing about Whitley is they lost their entire starting 5 from last year and won only 8 games. 3 seniors graduated and 2 seniors on this years team chose to stop playing after 3 or 4th game. 95% of all scoring, rebounding,etc etc was gone.
This team plays hard and they could play well rest of season and still only win 3 or 4 more games or 8-10 more wins could be out there.
I think a lot of people wrote Coach Overbey off and I believe the 1st 2 years the older kids may have listened to all the 'talk' and not listened to the coach.

I know Coach P will have his team ready for not only a district run but a region run. He is good at what he does.
I still think his biggest problem will be keeping everyone happy. There is only 160 minutes out there.
footballfever Wrote:The thing about Whitley is they lost their entire starting 5 from last year and won only 8 games. 3 seniors graduated and 2 seniors on this years team chose to stop playing after 3 or 4th game. 95% of all scoring, rebounding,etc etc was gone.
This team plays hard and they could play well rest of season and still only win 3 or 4 more games or 8-10 more wins could be out there.
I think a lot of people wrote Coach Overbey off and I believe the 1st 2 years the older kids may have listened to all the 'talk' and not listened to the coach.

I know Coach P will have his team ready for not only a district run but a region run. He is good at what he does.
I still think his biggest problem will be keeping everyone happy. There is only 160 minutes out there.

And only one basketball.....

I think the key was Whitley had great leadership one the floor. The Woods kid withstood double and triple teams in e press and never wilted. He maintained his composure which gave the other players the confidence to step up and make plays, and their confidence grew the whole game. This was great game and stepping stone, Whitley continues to grow and get better, but they still have a lot of room for improvement!!!
Congratulations Whitley County, and good luck!

I love an underdog!!
SEKYFAN Wrote:Corbin was without a starter, but he's not the leading scorer. No excuses though, Whitley was just the better team, and unlike the previous several years, they also expected to win.

This district from top to bottom has never been more even.

I was just going by what Corbins radio man said after the game.
They were the ones who seemed to stress that point after the loss.
He said the kid was the leading scorer or a close second behind Goins.
Great win for Whitley County. Gotta give them some respect.
Big win for the young Colonels...congrats...
Corbin was just the first game in a tough stretch of the schedule. South and Williamsburg within the district then a non-district games with Jackson Co. then North. This is the key part of the schedule and the difference this year as opposed to years past, the Colonels are playing as a team, and believe in themselves.

Beating Corbin at home was a huge step in the rebuilding of the program. Corbin has been a region contender year in and year out and the fact that Whitley not only competed but beat them shows that they can compete with the region teams. The key for them has been defense, they have continued to improve defensively while slowing adding more wrinkles on offense.

Overall this has been an eye opening season for the players themselves and the fans too, with more good things to come.

Here is our story -

The 94/95 season was the first year of coach Mike Deaton. Corbin had some pretty weak teams in 85/86 and 84/85. I think the 85 team only won 3 or 4 games. I would guess Whitley Co would have beaten them in those years. Do you know if Corbin's past records are on line?
^
Whitley beat Corbin several times in the 70's up through the mid 80's.
Pages: 1 2