Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Half of the Monday Night Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Halftime of the Monday Night Game, they were talking about the new rules prohibiting players from rolling around right around quarterback's knees and rolling over their knees. They said what finally set it off was the hit on Carson Palmer.

Question: If the hit was clean (was legal at the time, but I'm saying clean) as so many of you argue, why would they make a rule that forbid exactly what happened??
Post a link to what they said and I'll talk to you about it.
alfus21 Wrote:Post a link to what they said and I'll talk to you about it.

Was on TV, I don't know where I'd get that.

But it was exactly what I posted, they made the rule so people can't do things like they did to Palmer
BFritz Wrote:Was on TV, I don't know where I'd get that.

But it was exactly what I posted, they made the rule so people can't do things like they did to Palmer

I didn't see it, and I'd actually have to see it to believe it and discuss it.
BFritz Wrote:Halftime of the Monday Night Game, they were talking about the new rules prohibiting players from rolling around right around quarterback's knees and rolling over their knees. They said what finally set it off was the hit on Carson Palmer.

Question: If the hit was clean (was legal at the time, but I'm saying clean) as so many of you argue, why would they make a rule that forbid exactly what happened??

I found what you're talking about, and it didn't mean accidental rolls, but more along forcibly hitting the QB below the knees and not trying to get out of the way..Here is the rule, I found on ESPN.com...

--A rushing defensive player won't be allowed to forcibly hit a quarterback below the knees. He has to make every effort to avoid such a low hit. Palmer, Griese and Roethlisberger suffered knee injuries on low hits but those three plays were considered legal by the committee because they involved defensive rushers coming off blocks. Several other plays such as the old Rodney Harrison hit on Trent Green when he was with the Rams along with a Jared Allen low hit on Kerry Collins would be subject to a 15-yard penalty. That proposal passed, 25-7.

As I've said before, the hit was clean as the player that rolled on Palmer was knocked into him by a Bengal lineman, and he had no awareness of the fact that he was rolling onto Palmer as he was clearly not even looking that way. The rule was changed to protect quarterbacks, and I'd be willing to bet they'll be another one put in next year because of what Geathers did to Green.
What they said was that the refs are calling roughing the passer more because of what happened to Palmer... they didn't once say it was a dirty hit or say anything that would mean that
alfus21 Wrote:As I've said before, the hit was clean as the player that rolled on Palmer was knocked into him by a Bengal lineman, and he had no awareness of the fact that he was rolling onto Palmer as he was clearly not even looking that way. The rule was changed to protect quarterbacks, and I'd be willing to bet they'll be another one put in next year because of what Geathers did to Green.

Yeah I agree..If the Green tackle happened to Carson then there would have been about 5 or 6 threads talking about how dirty that hit was...
TennisCAT23 Wrote:Yeah I agree..If the Green tackle happened to Carson then there would have been about 5 or 6 threads talking about how dirty that hit was...

No doubt about that. It was 10x more unsportsmanlike that what happened to Palmer.
New rules are yearly implemented to improve the game and reduce injuries to all players. I, for one, like this rule, as I do with most rules the NFL adopts. Some rules may be too touchy and make it not seem like football, but for some players if you give an inch they'll take a mile. I'd rather see a few "weak" personal fouls called during the season rather than losing a player for a season.
Tomcat68 Wrote:New rules are yearly implemented to improve the game and reduce injuries to all players. I, for one, like this rule, as I do with most rules the NFL adopts. Some rules may be too touchy and make it not seem like football, but for some players if you give an inch they'll take a mile. I'd rather see a few "weak" personal fouls called during the season rather than losing a player for a season.

Couldn't agree more.
TennisCAT23 Wrote:Yeah I agree..If the Green tackle happened to Carson then there would have been about 5 or 6 threads talking about how dirty that hit was...

He didn't even lead with his helmet, he got pushed that way and turned his head so his shoulder hit Green instead. The dude dude dove into Palmer's knee then rolled over it
shewww... if it was a dirty hit he would have been in trouble... and he isn't... sooo
BFritz Wrote:He didn't even lead with his helmet, he got pushed that way and turned his head so his shoulder hit Green instead. The dude dude dove into Palmer's knee then rolled over it

It was unsportsmanlike of Geathers, end of story. As for your Palmer hit, here you go...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wUQ9jnJNzmM

He barely hit Palmer at all, and did so obviously by accident. He NEVER rolled over on the leg, and you could see the remorse immediatly. Enough said. No fine was handed out, and even you boy Palmer said it wasn't a dirty hit. Get over it!!
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:shewww... if it was a dirty hit he would have been in trouble... and he isn't... sooo

Have you read this whole thread, or just what you wanted to see??? They made a rule to prevent players from doing what he did, so it was legal then, but it was dirty, which is evident by them making a rule that's being called the Palmer rule.

alfus and everyone else: If it wasn't dirty, then they wouldn't be calling it "The Palmer Rule."
BFritz Wrote:Have you read this whole thread, or just what you wanted to see??? They made a rule to prevent players from doing what he did, so it was legal then, but it was dirty, which is evident by them making a rule that's being called the Palmer rule.

alfus and everyone else: If it wasn't dirty, then they wouldn't be calling it "The Palmer Rule."

You're the only one calling it that last time I checked pal. Also check my last post. You might have missed it
BFritz Wrote:He didn't even lead with his helmet, he got pushed that way and turned his head so his shoulder hit Green instead. The dude dude dove into Palmer's knee then rolled over it
The same story with Carson Palmer...he didn't go after Palmer's legs at all...even if that rule was in effect last year the Steeler's lineman would have not been penalized...so why is this even a big deal?? it's a way to protect the quarterback but it wasn't only the Carson Palmer ordeal that caused this rule...you all being die hard Bengals fans may feel that way but it's simply not
alfus21 Wrote:It was unsportsmanlike of Geathers, end of story. As for your Palmer hit, here you go...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wUQ9jnJNzmM

He barely hit Palmer at all, and did so obviously by accident. He NEVER rolled over on the leg, and you could see the remorse immediatly. Enough said. No fine was handed out, and even you boy Palmer said it wasn't a dirty hit. Get over it!!

End of story, cause you said it was, and you're the final say on everything, I forgot, my bad

alfus21 Wrote:You're the only one calling it that last time I checked pal. Also check my last post. You might have missed it

The hit on Green, Geathers was pushed into Green, and he turned his head, not making it head to head. If you watch the video, the Bengals guy pushes von whatever to the side, NOT TOWARDS PALMER...... all you keep trying to play it off like he pushes him into Palmer...... Von dude just dives at Palmer's knee.

Did you not look at the first post in this thread, nor the title? Halftime of the Monday Night Game, they called in that, not me, pal. So, take it up with the NFL people high up, as well as the people on the Monday Night Football halftime show, Pal.
BFritz Wrote:End of story, cause you said it was, and you're the final say on everything, I forgot, my bad

Yeah that is your bad. Smile

BFritz Wrote:The hit on Green, Geathers was pushed into Green, and he turned his head, not making it head to head. If you watch the video, the Bengals guy pushes von whatever to the side, NOT TOWARDS PALMER...... all you keep trying to play it off like he pushes him into Palmer...... Von dude just dives at Palmer's knee.

Did you not look at the first post in this thread, nor the title? Halftime of the Monday Night Game, they called in that, not me, pal. So, take it up with the NFL people high up, as well as the people on the Monday Night Football halftime show, Pal.

Apparently I'm not alone in this arguement as you are the only person arguring for Palmer. Probably one of the last Bengals fans with not enough sense to understand that you wouldn't have won anyways, and that the guy barely hit Palmer, was going at him as he threw the ball circa the only path he could find which happened to be low.
I did just see it called the "Palmer Rule" on a website. Looks like I was in the dark on the slang for the rule despite the fact I posted the rule earlier.

I'm going to finish by this. I'll answer your original question about why they linked this to Palmer but yet it was still legal. The rule was initiated to protect quarterbacks. LAST YEAR, there was no rule against hitting quarterbacks below the knees, therefore it was LEGAL. It was a clean hit, at the time, he wasn't fined, talked to by the league, or looked down upon by anyone except Bengal fans. Simplest answer, and easiest way I can lay it out for you.
alfus21 Wrote:I did just see it called the "Palmer Rule" on a website. Looks like I was in the dark on the slang for the rule despite the fact I posted the rule earlier.

I'm going to finish by this. I'll answer your original question about why they linked this to Palmer but yet it was still legal. The rule was initiated to protect quarterbacks. LAST YEAR, there was no rule against hitting quarterbacks below the knees, therefore it was LEGAL. It was a clean hit, at the time, he wasn't fined, talked to by the league, or looked down upon by anyone except Bengal fans. Simplest answer, and easiest way I can lay it out for you.

You're changing your story now, and, even if it was legal, the fact that it's illegal now means that it was dirty.
BFritz Wrote:You're changing your story now, and, even if it was legal, the fact that it's illegal now means that it was dirty.

I never changed my story, and it does NOT mean that. It just means the NFL is taking greater measures to protect pocket quarterbacks such as Palmer. Once again congrats on still being the only person to think that was a dirty hit. Bengals lost, they wouldn't have won anyways. Palmer is back, and it wasn't a dirty hit. End of discussion. This is going nowhere.