Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Will the new NCAA playoff format invalidate past BCS Champions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For me, the biggest take away from this BCS season is how competitive the lower seeds were with the higher seeds. As we begin a 4 team playoff next year, which will inevitably turn into an 8 then 16 team playoff, I believe we will see teams seeded 12 - 16 winning national championships. When this happens, what is this going to say about the collection of BCS champions crowned over its history?
I think the lower seeds play well with the top seeds because it's ONE game and they have a MONTH to get ready for it.

I think that having to play a top team 4 games in a row would prove to be too much.

It may very well happen every once in a while...
but I think college football is really top-heavy.
No, it won't invalidate anything. Biggest controversy I remember is 2003 when LSU and USC split a title even though LSU won the national title game. What you will see with this playoff is some SEC vs SEC national title games.
^
Don't forget the year Auburn got shafted.

They were undefeated in 2004 and didn't get picked to play in the title game.

That's also the year USC had to vacate its season...
I don't think so. I think once they get to a 8-16 team playoff you will see the true champion. I do think we have in most of the BCS era, but overall there has been some doubt some years.

I think Zaga said it best in his post. When a lower seed team has a month to get ready to play a one & done game you will see upsets. When that team has to win 4 games of that magnitude it might happen once every 20-25 years at best.
I agree that a 16 team playoff is adequate to determine a champion. My point though, is that under this format, champions will rise that would have never gotten a sniff of a title game under the BCS system.
Needs to be 8. No more and no less.

11 game regular season. Conference championship. 2 playoff games.

That's only 14 games. Every team in the country except 4 will only play 13. Nothing wrong with that.
IMO the BCS seldom got it right! I think the major flaw to the BCS was the confusion about what it was trying to determine! IMO it should be about determining who the Champion for the season is and that's a totally different thing than determining who the best team is. Two of Alabama's recent titles were won by Bama teams that lost at home. IMO it should be made clear to the people that determine the 4 teams that the College season is a playoff from game one! IMO this 4 team playoff is going to be nothing more than a way for the big name programs like Bama, Ohio ST, FSU, Texas and so on to have "Extra" ways to win the National title! In 2008 a #2 Florida Gator team that lost at home to a bad Ole Miss team played a #1 Oklahoma team that lost #3 Texas team, if the BCS poll was based on common sense Florida would have been OUT because they lost at HOME to a team that lost to both VANDY AND WAKE FOREST! I hope to see this playoff someday be between only conference champs!
I do not think 8 teams is enough for a playoff, def not 4. IMO they need to have a format like the FCS which has 16 teams.
All I can say is I can't wait to see all these SEC vs SEC championship games!!!! Go SEC!!!