Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: South Laurel 70 North Laurel 62
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from NL. Round 1 of the cross town battle goes to South...
Glad to see both schools start to get some wins! Good on You Both!:Thumbs:
How far have these two programs dropped? South was one of the two best programs in the region when they entered the 13th. Now they are middle of the road. They are saying thank God for Coach Ellison in the district. North was on the right track until they decided to fire a hall of famer.
I looked out on the floor and at one time during the game there was 8 freshman and 8th graders on the floor for both teams. both play alot of young girls.
E's Army Wrote:How far have these two programs dropped? South was one of the two best programs in the region when they entered the 13th. Now they are middle of the road. They are saying thank God for Coach Ellison in the district. North was on the right track until they decided to fire a hall of famer.

There is something going on at these schools. There is no reason they are not playing for regional championships every year.
ky playmaker Wrote:I looked out on the floor and at one time during the game there was 8 freshman and 8th graders on the floor for both teams. both play alot of young girls.

Why do you think all the older kids are not playing?
Idk. I know that one has decided to just play indoor soccer which was probably the right move for her. Its the same with the boys at south. There is as much talent maybe more walking the halls or just picking one sport
E's Army Wrote:How far have these two programs dropped? South was one of the two best programs in the region when they entered the 13th. Now they are middle of the road. They are saying thank God for Coach Ellison in the district. North was on the right track until they decided to fire a hall of famer.

I don't even think they are middle of the road right now something wrong big time at north and south :HitWall:
I don't think anything is wrong. Schools all across Kentucky are having same issues. That's why there are so many 8th graders playing in our region, we aren't the only schools that play young kids. There are too many other options for them. And to be honest many kids just don't want to make the time commitment that is necessary to be part of a good program. Throw in the fact that Soccer, Vollyball, and even cheerleading are taking more kids from girls basketball than ever and it's easy to see why everyone's numbers are down. We played Clay earlier this year, and even Clay is having that issue. They have an elementary kid that plays!!!
You know what makes me sick....you KNOW what makes me so angry I could just bite the head off of a pissed off copperhead.......Too many grown ups involved inside and outside the schools basketball programs. When kids feel like they can play and win because of their abilities and not who you are or who you know......they will return to the sport. Adult Politics is destroying girls basketball. This problem runs from the top of school administration through the coaching staff and ends with the KHSAA refs.... Way to much crap going on here! Kids and parents don't have to put up with this anymore and their NOT!!! Let the player's talent decide who plays and who wins the games!!!! That's my soapbox for the day! WAKE-UP AMERICA!!!!I'm Earl Pitts.....PITTS OFF!!!:betterthanexpected:
Long time reader of BGR, brand new member. I had to respond to Basketball Wizzard's commentary. If most fans knew the amount of absolute garbage that takes place from the top down in many programs, they would fully understand why more and more kids are electing to play AAU or not at all.
JagNation Wrote:I don't think anything is wrong. Schools all across Kentucky are having same issues. That's why there are so many 8th graders playing in our region, we aren't the only schools that play young kids. There are too many other options for them. And to be honest many kids just don't want to make the time commitment that is necessary to be part of a good program. Throw in the fact that Soccer, Vollyball, and even cheerleading are taking more kids from girls basketball than ever and it's easy to see why everyone's numbers are down. We played Clay earlier this year, and even Clay is having that issue. They have an elementary kid that plays!!!

I know the a Coach Bowling fiasco set North back bunch, but there is know reason what so ever that they should be after Xmas getting there first win. I have seen them a couple times over the last couple years and they seem to play hard for there coach and I have talked to couple parent and they don't talk bad about him, so I assume everyone respect him. I really thought the win over Whitley a couple years ago in the region would have turned the corner,but it did not seem to make a impact. As for getting Kids out if you win they will come.
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:You know what makes me sick....you KNOW what makes me so angry I could just bite the head off of a pissed off copperhead.......Too many grown ups involved inside and outside the schools basketball programs. When kids feel like they can play and win because of their abilities and not who you are or who you know......they will return to the sport. Adult Politics is destroying girls basketball. This problem runs from the top of school administration through the coaching staff and ends with the KHSAA refs.... Way to much crap going on here! Kids and parents don't have to put up with this anymore and their NOT!!! Let the player's talent decide who plays and who wins the games!!!! That's my soapbox for the day! WAKE-UP AMERICA!!!!I'm Earl Pitts.....PITTS OFF!!!:betterthanexpected:

Me and you don't agree about much but being a Knox Central fan I've seen about all the politics one needs to see in ones life, we had a girls coach who has ran off probably 25 to 30 who have went elsewhere and played and more than that who have walked the hallways instead of playing, and the past administrations could care less. The past administration fired the boys coach in some back room deal on his last day on the job. The parents finally stood up and said there is know way you can fire him and keep the girls coach, at least the boys are competitive against a good schedule. The girl are it not even competitive against one of the weakest schedules in the state.
I'm feeling philosophical today so here is some Food for thought.......Just imagine how many kids have given up on their dream......because of adult politics and adult egos......Adult meaness is altering the coarse of many young peoples lives.....And in many cases, NOT FOR THE GOOD! ADULTS STOP AND THINK OF THIS THE NEXT TIME YOU DECIDE TO SCREW WITH SOME KID....JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN!!! They are our future after all......I am a firm believer that you will answer for every evil deed one day....either here on this earth or after......:devilflam
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:I'm feeling philosophical today so here is some Food for thought.......Just imagine how many kids have given up on their dream......because of adult politics and adult egos......Adult meaness is altering the coarse of many young peoples lives.....And in many cases, NOT FOR THE GOOD! ADULTS STOP AND THINK OF THIS THE NEXT TIME YOU DECIDE TO SCREW WITH SOME KID....JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN!!! They are our future after all......I am a firm believer that you will answer for every evil deed one day....either here on this earth or after......:devilflam

Damn twice in one day, great minds must think alike. Adults have ruined a lot of kids school experience. Not only in sports, Academics and other extracurricular activities. There has been rumors for years about them rigging the valedictorian.
With the exception of upsetting Whitley County, when has North ever been a factor in girls basketball since moving to the 13th?
20-9 in 2009-10 is norths best year record wise.
Since entering the 13th region in 2005-06, North has 6 district runner-up finishes. There were 2 years that they did not make the regional tournament. In the 6 years that they made the regional tournament, they were defeated in the first round 4 times. They made the semis twice, including 11-12 when they upset Whitley County. In 2009-10, the year they finished with a school best record of 20-9, they reached the region semis. For the 9 year period of 13th region play, including this season, they have an overall record of 109-140.
walterwhite Wrote:Since entering the 13th region in 2005-06, North has 6 district runner-up finishes. There were 2 years that they did not make the regional tournament. In the 6 years that they made the regional tournament, they were defeated in the first round 4 times. They made the semis twice, including 11-12 when they upset Whitley County. In 2009-10, the year they finished with a school best record of 20-9, they reached the region semis. For the 9 year period of 13th region play, including this season, they have an overall record of 109-140.

North would have challenged the year of Bowling fiasco and would have been one of the favorites the following year for there first Regional championship. He had the program going in the right direction.
12-7 pre fiasco and 3-5 post for what was one of ,if not the most talented team that year was not looking like a region contender. Roy who was a great coach was very average at North. They had multiple bad loses that year before the fiasco and a total collapsed after. The collapse included an almost 40 point lost to clay with multiple good players still playing before transferring or graduating after the year. I'm not saying this to blast Roy but to say that seems to be the trend at North no matter who was the coach. I think they have some good young talent now but they aren't as good as I thought they would be. This seems typical for North. The only over achieving year they have had was two years ago and I say that because they had very little talent and made it as far as north ever been which is just the semi finals of region. They still had a horrible regular season that year. I think they will end up being good in a year or two, but we will see. Being a Corbin guy I really like South a lot less but I really respect what Coach Snyder has done the last couple of years. I thought some years with the talent she could have been better but the last two I think they have been as competitive as they could. The team this year is just too young to compete at a high level. I will say though that in a couple of years they may be competitive again. I like some of the young kids I saw at CFIT and while they couldn't compete yet this experience will make them better. Coach Snyder will be back to competing if she stays around... And I'll enjoy rooting against them. Also insideinfo I really like Coach Evans and I hope the girls program can get straightened out like the boys appears to be at Knox.
North will be fine. It may take longer than we want, but we have the talent and a good coach. I think North has the best young players in the Region, which will eventually translate into competing for Region titles.
If they all keep playing basketball north and south should be pretty good in a few years. I hope they do.
JagNation Wrote:North will be fine. It may take longer than we want, but we have the talent and a good coach. I think North has the best young players in the Region, which will eventually translate into competing for Region titles.

I sincerely hope you are right, but where is the post play gonna come from? We don't have it now, and I sure haven't seen it from our younger teams. We do have a nice pool of younger talent, but right now it seems like it is all in perimeter type players.
North and South are the largest two schools in the region. Half the region plays in the All A.
Olred Wrote:12-7 pre fiasco and 3-5 post for what was one of ,if not the most talented team that year was not looking like a region contender. Roy who was a great coach was very average at North. They had multiple bad loses that year before the fiasco and a total collapsed after. The collapse included an almost 40 point lost to clay with multiple good players still playing before transferring or graduating after the year. I'm not saying this to blast Roy but to say that seems to be the trend at North no matter who was the coach. I think they have some good young talent now but they aren't as good as I thought they would be. This seems typical for North. The only over achieving year they have had was two years ago and I say that because they had very little talent and made it as far as north ever been which is just the semi finals of region. They still had a horrible regular season that year. I think they will end up being good in a year or two, but we will see. Being a Corbin guy I really like South a lot less but I really respect what Coach Snyder has done the last couple of years. I thought some years with the talent she could have been better but the last two I think they have been as competitive as they could. The team this year is just too young to compete at a high level. I will say though that in a couple of years they may be competitive again. I like some of the young kids I saw at CFIT and while they couldn't compete yet this experience will make them better. Coach Snyder will be back to competing if she stays around... And I'll enjoy rooting against them. Also insideinfo I really like Coach Evans and I hope the girls program can get straightened out like the boys appears to be at Knox.
I believe of the seven losses before the fiasco four of them was to teams that went on to play in the state tournament that year with two of them playing in the finals and the other three losses coming from traditionally strong teams. Ole Roy was not playing LITTLE SISTERS OF THE POOR.seeing who could put one in the win column. He was playing one of the toughest schedules in the state preparing for a run at the region championship the next couple years.
JagNation Wrote:North will be fine. It may take longer than we want, but we have the talent and a good coach. I think North has the best young players in the Region, which will eventually translate into competing for Region titles.

I'm sure the talent level is approving, but I think saying North has the best young talent is a little over the top.
I saw Harlan's freshman crew beat up North in middle school basketball a couple of years. I know Whitley has one of the best eighth grade groups in the state. Harlan County also has a very strong eighth grade class.
agree with HDE both south and north will be much better in a few years but alot of the others just reloading