Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 13th Region Player Rankings - Week Four
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Our 4th edition of the 13th Region Player Rankings are out.

I changed the list a little. Now it has our top 10 players, the last five out, and the best of the rest, which features several players around the region.

What would your top 10 look like, at this point in the season?

13th Region Player Rankings - Week Four
May want to keep an eye on Blake Smith. Been the best player for the Tigers the last couple weeks averaging around 14-15 the last 6 games. McDaniel could honestly drop, not his normal self at the moment even though the team continues to win. It may not be such a bad thing because other players have improved.
I have Smith in there on the "best of the rest," but he could easily be in the top 15. He, Wolfe, and Farmer are all three capable of being some of the better players in the region. It just depends on who is hot at the time.

I thought about dropping McDaniel to the two spot because Fox is playing unbelievably well, but McDaniel has really done nothing that would cause him to drop, at this point.
Barger, Fox and McDaniels best in region! Barger IMO. Is the best!
TriCountySports Wrote:I have Smith in there on the "best of the rest," but he could easily be in the top 15. He, Wolfe, and Farmer are all three capable of being some of the better players in the region. It just depends on who is hot at the time.

I thought about dropping McDaniel to the two spot because Fox is playing unbelievably well, but McDaniel has really done nothing that would cause him to drop, at this point.

Good point, he is still the best player on the best team. I expect him to get back on his game soon.
It's difficult to choose the best player between McDaniel, Fox, and Barger. I really think Fox is the most talented, but McDaniel has done nothing to drop, so I keep him there. If Barger could shoot as well as McDaniel and Fox, he could be the best player.

Fox can really do it all offensively. He's probably not as good of a defender as Barger, though.

See why it is tough!? Smile
I watched Goins at Clay and I thought he had to be at the top of the list,but he has cooled way down. After watching the Taylor kid the last two days he going to be moving way up the list. the kid can flat play and does not get rattled a bit.
TriCountySports Wrote:It's difficult to choose the best player between McDaniel, Fox, and Barger. I really think Fox is the most talented, but McDaniel has done nothing to drop, so I keep him there. If Barger could shoot as well as McDaniel and Fox, he could be the best player.

Fox can really do it all offensively. He's probably not as good of a defender as Barger, though.

See why it is tough!? Smile

I agree 100%, continue the good work!
No disrespect Tri County, and i really enjoy your columns, but there is no way that McDaniels is a better basketball player than Fox or Barger either one. I do understand that its not an easy job for you and McDaniels is supposedly on the better team( yet to be seen), but ive seen all three kids play several times and McDaniels is not even close. Player rankings should be dependant on the individual player, not what team he plays for. If you want to say Clay is the best team then I'll agree because noone has proven otherwise, but you cant just say Chip is the best player in the region because he plays for Clay. Youve seen Fox play...you know he's better than McDaniels. No matter though, keep up the good work!
I didn't say McDaniels is the best player in the region because he plays for Clay County. I said he came in ranked as the best player (not just in my rankings, but in most), and he hasn't done anything to fall. But, he just so happens to be the best player on the best team (at this point) in the region.

I'd like to rank them 1A, 1B, and 1C, but I think that is just lame.
seeing McDaniel and the Tigers play-McDaniel is a very unselfish player, but has the best shot in the region.
McDaniel is playing extremely unselfish and I think he needs to demand the ball more especially late in the game. I'm taking nothing away from Fox and Barger, both are very nice players. Fox has potential to be the best, but McDaniel has had his number both times they faced off. Barger played very well against CC last yr but bottomline is he cannot shoot the ball. I personally think all 5 of CC's players are top 12 in region and House is 15-20. Have they proven that yet, not quite. Clay's schedules buffs up in January so we'll see what the Tigers are made of.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:McDaniel is playing extremely unselfish and I think he needs to demand the ball more especially late in the game. I'm taking nothing away from Fox and Barger, both are very nice players. Fox has potential to be the best, but McDaniel has had his number both times they faced off. Barger played very well against CC last yr but bottomline is he cannot shoot the ball. I personally think all 5 of CC's players are top 12 in region and House is 15-20. Have they proven that yet, not quite. Clay's schedules buffs up in January so we'll see what the Tigers are made of.

I said in one of my earlier stories that I've circled the Clay vs Jackson game on my calendar. I'm hoping I get to make it over there.

I can't disagree about Clay's talent, but Jackson is the same way. The starters from each team have the ability to be in the top 15 of the region on any given night, but only a few of them are mainstays.
General Jackson Wrote:No disrespect Tri County, and i really enjoy your columns, but there is no way that McDaniels is a better basketball player than Fox or Barger either one. I do understand that its not an easy job for you and McDaniels is supposedly on the better team( yet to be seen), but ive seen all three kids play several times and McDaniels is not even close. Player rankings should be dependant on the individual player, not what team he plays for. If you want to say Clay is the best team then I'll agree because noone has proven otherwise, but you cant just say Chip is the best player in the region because he plays for Clay. Youve seen Fox play...you know he's better than McDaniels. No matter though, keep up the good work!

If I knew how to highlight I would but......What games have you seen the 3 play? I would think several would mean at least 5 times each.
Football fever, I'm not sure what Webster's exact definition of the word several means and I'm not exactly sure why it matters because it woud not take anyone who knows anything about basketball but 1 or 2 games at the most to see that Fox is the better player. But, to answer your question, yes I have seen all three kids play much more than 5 times each. I, by no means, mean any disrespect towards McDaniels. He is a very talented kid. He is quite simply not as good as Fox. And as for McDaniels having Fox's number Bubba? Thats laughable. Clay plays 3 guards out front just trying to contain him. If you want to say he's got his number, let Chip try to guard him one on one. You talk the talk but cant walk the walk. Oh yeah, and another thing. You wish Chip would be more selfish? That goes to show that your basketball IQ is really in question. How is Farmer and Allen and the rest of the team gonna react if they dont get their shots? If Marcum has any sense, he'll try to make sure that you keep your advice for little brother to yourself before you destroy the team with that kind of selfish talk.
General Jackson, go back to school and learn how to write a sentence. Focus on JC, not CC. Coach Marcum is doing a fine job and will have his team peaking in the postseason just like last yr. Get out of district before you "talk your talk".
Here's two sentences for you Bubba. Fox just won MVP of the Cumberland Falls Invitational. McDaniels missed two crucial three pointers in the closing seconds against Dacula that resulted in a loss.
And McDaniel, no s, just won Most Outstanding Player. Those "crucial 3s" were desperation shots that nearly went in. Congrats on winning that tourney though, the field was loaded. It should be an exciting one at Jackson in a couple weeks. Fox is a great player and Jackson has a rare chance to get out of district.
Loaded Bubba!? Lol

Fox is an extremely good player, I've watched a few of his games over the years and kept up with him when he was at Dixie Heights. Good size, good floor general, passer, overall scorer, just pure point guard type. McDaniel is more of an undersized 2 guard who plays the point. Very smart on and off court, maybe best shooter in the region, good passer with decent speed, needs to improve defense more but it has gotten better. Going to be honest, don't follow Barger much except for a few games. Pretty good athlete, not a good shooter but no way he's better than McDaniel. The only argument in this region is between Fox and McDaniel, that's the only one worth listening too. People that say Fox, that is completely fine or those that say McDaniel can be right also. I'll go with McDaniel for the simple fact he has gotten it done on bigger stages. Fox has to get his team there before you can argue that point.
Fox is a talented player and I could see where he could be a better college prospect because of his size, but he won't win any region player of the year awards in December.
He's going to have to get Jackson to the regional tournament to have a chance to prove himself.
Fox and Barger are both very athletic but are both point guards at heart. I think McDaniel is more of a scorer and is passing up too many shots at this point, at least from what I saw in one game live and another on television.
HDE Wrote:Fox is a talented player and I could see where he could be a better college prospect because of his size, but he won't win any region player of the year awards in December.
He's going to have to get Jackson to the regional tournament to have a chance to prove himself.
Fox and Barger are both very athletic but are both point guards at heart. I think McDaniel is more of a scorer and is passing up too many shots at this point, at least from what I saw in one game live and another on television.
Why would Fox not win player of the year in the region. I believe he will take JC to the region tournament this year with possibly a great chance of winning a region championship. But what is your opinion based on that Fox won't win region player of the year? It wouldent be the first time a player from JC has won it. In 2008 Nick Brumback from JC won region player of the year, and also that team didn't make a deep run they was bounced in the 1st round against eventual region chaps that year South Laurel. I just simply don't understand how you can say the most talented, and possibly the best player in the region on a team that The Herald Leader and The Cantrell System both have ranked #1 in the region, cannot win region player of the year?
Fox is legit. I've seen him and McDaniel as much as I've seen anyone this year, and they both can play. Fox has one of the best crossovers that I have seen in high school and made extremely athletic players look silly during the CFIT.

I still have McDaniel as the top rated player, though. I hate when rankings have players/teams tied for a spot, or I would put them both at No. 1.
Read it again.
My point is that what happens in December doesn't decide player of the year awards. He has to continue playing that way and get Jackson to the regional tournament to have a great shot at winning.
I did read it again and notices that, my bad for the rant that followed. Simply misread your comment.
Clay and Jackson will be an exciting match up next week. Congrats to Fox on MVP in Corbin and to Tyler McDaniel on Most Outstanding Player in Daytona, FL tournament.
Should be a great game.
Can't wait to watch, Collier, Lawson, House, and Allen play, they have been gone from North Laurel for a while and it will be nice to see them all on the same floor again.