Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Estill County 65 Harlan County 64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Berea

Estill goes 2-2....Harlan goes 1-3

This was a dandy of a game.....Back and forth....Harlan led by as many as 9....Estill led by as many as 5-6. Harlan County would go up 8-9 points, Estill would come right back and answer....Game was tied 35-35 at halftime. I think the second half was all Estill. Harlan County may have had the led twice/three times.

Trevor Jones wins it for Estill hitting 1/2 free throws with 2 seconds left
This is a bad loss for Harlan County. I think South Laurel beat Estill by close to 20 points. The Black Bears have a tough matchup against Bell County Jan 3rd.
TriCountySports Wrote:This is a bad loss for Harlan County. I think South Laurel beat Estill by close to 20 points. The Black Bears have a tough matchup against Bell County Jan 3rd.

South Laurel led by 3 with 4 minutes to go before causing Estill to turning it over which led to fast break points...
I thought Estill looked pretty good.
Harlan County shot 77 percent in the first half and the game was tied.
Estill didn't miss a shot in the first seven minutes of the fourth quarter.
Actually, Harlan County led four times in the third quarter and Estill took the lead twice. Estill led most of the fourth quarter.
Harlan County's shot at the buzzer from halfcourt by #33 was right on target just too hard as it hit off the back of the rim.

Harlan County has a nice team and will win several more ball games this year and should contend for their region. Good Luck to the Black Bears.
Good win for the Engineers.
Estill lost to Hazard 71-41 and to South Laurel 63-43. They also only beat a 1-9 Owsley County team 70-65 in the game before the Harlan County game. The Madison Southern team that beat HC by 16 points lost their remaining 3 games in the tourney also. Not a great showing by the Black Bears in Berea to put it kindly (1 win 3 losses against mediocre competition at best) Madison Southern, Webster county, Estill County and Berea? Ouch!
Another thing that helped Estill to win and kept it close throughout the game was that Estill won the rebounding battle. I was really impressed with #33 from Harlan County (KHSAA lists him as Tahj Bryant). He maybe a big boy but he can sure ball.

Reason why the Estill/Owsley game was so close was because Owsley would make big shot after big shot after big shot to keep it close, actually had a chance to tie it at 68 before they turned it over.
This could be an up and down season for the Bears. This team plays extremely hard, and that is something HC fans can appreciate. This team may struggle some, with a difficult schedule beginning with Breathitt Co. this week. I do not believe quitting will be in this teams vocabulary, after watching this group play. I look for them to still be a hard out come tourney time. Good Luck Harlan Co. against a very solid Breathitt Co. team this week.
Mountain Wrote:This could be an up and down season for the Bears. This team plays extremely hard, and that is something HC fans can appreciate. This team may struggle some, with a difficult schedule beginning with Breathitt Co. this week. I do not believe quitting will be in this teams vocabulary, after watching this group play. I look for them to still be a hard out come tourney time. Good Luck Harlan Co. against a very solid Breathitt Co. team this week.
I agree with you sir, This team basically has no size (biggest player 6'2") they are not overly quick and athletic and they dont shoot the 3 extremely well, but they do have a bunch a solid basketball players and seem to have a battlers mentality. HC's teams have always pounded the ball inside, but they dont really have anyone inside with size to pound it to this year. I hope this team's 3 point shooting gets better because if it doesnt it could be a tough year.