Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 16th Region
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
usually not the case, being a region thats ranks somewhere between 10th thru 14th in the state. usually having only 1 team that is competative statewide. this year is different with 2 teams as good as anybody in the state, most do not know this but after the holiday tournaments will soon see. east carter is a very deep team with 8-10 kids that can all play, without much drop off and coached very well, then ashland which is not very deep has the ability to put 5 kids on the court as good as anybody in the state. lewis co. will also be very competative. each one of these teams will be even better next year, since they are all base off of juniors or younger. not to mention boyd co and bath co. are solid teams as well. holiday tournaments will give others a chance to see. good luck to all 16th region teams over the break
Though the teams you mentioned are good, I believe you are overstating the strength of both. Both teams are primarily jump shooting teams and yes, when they hit a ton of 3s they are very good. But those that live by the 3 die by the 3. One of the 3 teams you mentioned will probably win the 16th but to say they are as good as anybody in the state is a bit much IMO.
HD28 Wrote:Though the teams you mentioned are good, I believe you are overstating the strength of both. Both teams are primarily jump shooting teams and yes, when they hit a ton of 3s they are very good. But those that live by the 3 die by the 3. One of the 3 teams you mentioned will probably win the 16th but to say they are as good as anybody in the state is a bit much IMO.

I agree. I believe on any given night, one of the 16th region teams mentioned could knock off a state contender, if they are shooting lights out. Size is always a problem for 16th region teams when they play quality out-of-region competition.
What most folks fail to realize is that the athleticism jumps SEVERAL notches when you get to metro areas like Lexington, Louisville, and Northern Kentucky when you play the premier teams of those areas. When you combine athletic guards with the typical size those areas have and it usually means an L for most 16th (and 14th and 15th) region schools.
I can see some of your points, and each game comes down to match ups. however east lacks athletic ability but have a little of everything else, we'll see how well they play sat. against e-town. win or lose i believe it will be a battle. ashland lacks the size inside that could be a problem but possible an advantage but their guards are as athletic as anybodys. lewis has solid guards plus some size. however not many teams have it all covered. i'm not saying any of them will state, just that the region is as top heavy as any other this year and next. however it be nice to see