Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Your Favorite Movies of 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You can put this into a top 5 or 10 if you'd like.

In no particular order, here's 7 we enjoyed:

World War Z
White House Down
Identity Theft
The Heat
Olympus Has Fallen
Red II
The Internship

How about yours?
White House Down
(surprised at this one)

Identity Theft
(LOVED this one)

The Heat
Olympus Has Fallen

The Internship
Captain Phillips was a great movie. And being based on a true story made it even more enjoyable. Tom Hanks gave an Oscar worthy performance.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was very good.

But the best so far has been the second Hobbit movie, The Desolation of Smaug. I've always been a fan of Tolkien's work since I read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy when I was in college back in the early '70's.
Spring Breakers

Olympus Has Fallen

The Place Beyond The Pines

Iron Man 3

Mud

Pain & Gain

Fast & Furious 6

The Kings Of Summer

This Is The End

Man Of Steel

Despicable Me 2
We're the Millers! Best movie of the year. This one did not disappoint like so many others did. With typical comedies, there are only "spot" laughs. They were successful in keeping this one funny throughout!
^
Getting ready to watch it now!
Got it on redbox after work. Excited to see it.

As for my favorites, I too was REALLY surprised I liked White House Down as much as I did. I honestly thought it would be a cheap, cliché type movie, but it was VERY entertaining. I think it was better than Olympus has fallen (Same scenarios) and that really surprised me.

I have watched over 50 movies this year in the theatre and getting them from redbox, and while I cant remember them all right now, but I would imagine 80% of them I found disappointing. I always love to leave a move wanting more.
We're The Millers was hysterical!!
Mr. Pike Central Wrote:Spring Breakers

Olympus Has Fallen

The Place Beyond The Pines

Iron Man 3

Mud

Pain & Gain

Fast & Furious 6

The Kings Of Summer

This Is The End

Man Of Steel

Despicable Me 2

My wife and I watched that movie at the KY Theater, perfect place to watch a movie like that. Can't say it was one of my favorites but it kept you interested.
I am wanting to watch We're The Millers... y and large I have been thoroughly disappointed with the movies I have seen this year.

World War Z was "OK"..but I loved the book so much that it was impossible to really get into the movie.

Took the GF to see Frozen this weekend and we thought it was pretty good.
Oh, NEVER read the book first!!! YOUR interpretation whilst reading is always better than someone else's interpretation making the movie!!

You know that.

Wink
Granny Bear Wrote:Oh, NEVER read the book first!!! YOUR interpretation whilst reading is always better than someone else's interpretation making the movie!!

You know that.

Wink

World War Z is a little different though. The way the book is written it would basically be impossible to make it into a single 2-3 hour movie. The actual book is written as an account of someone with the UN in retrospect of the zombie apocalypse..basically reading like a formal report with excerpts from interviews he did throughout the process that paints the picture of everything that went on.

What makes it so well done is how thorough the explanations are to give insight into the hole zombie apocalypse and the spread and subsequent "science" behind it all ( I know it is tough talking about the science of a purely fictional event) and the perspective of the human condition.

The movie is roughly based on the overall picture..skipping all the small details and the human interest side of things for the action side.

There are movies that copy the book.
There are movies that are based off the book that try to hold true
This was neither..this was a movie based off the idea of the book.... HAHA entertaining certainly...but absolutely nothing about it quenches the thirst you get from reading it and wishing it could be acted out.

To properly do the book it would have to be something like a Band of Brothers or The Pacific that HBO did... a single 8 or 9 episode mini-series. Each episode covering the different stages of the apocalypse or following character's accounts 2 or 3 at a time.
Only "new" movie I watched this year was Grown Ups 2. I am not sure it was even made this year.
Were the Millers did not disappoint!

As Dusty said, it kept me laughing throughout the entire movie.

I honestly thought it would be somewhat stupid, and I was wrong. Between the giant swollen nut and Jennifer Anniston getting fondled by another women (not to mention the ear action) this really was one of my top 3 for this year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:World War Z was "OK"..but I loved the book so much that it was impossible to really get into the movie.

I was in the same boat, I had high expectations from everyone going word from mouth...but it didn't live up to those expectations IMO.

Decent...but I don't think I'd watch it anytime soon.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Were the Millers did not disappoint!

I honestly thought it would be somewhat stupid, and I was wrong. Between the giant swollen nut and Jennifer Anniston getting fondled by another women (not to mention the ear action) this really was one of my top 3 for this year.

Rented it last night and watched before bed.

I really liked it.

The outtakes were pretty good too.
Yea the bloopers were cool.

What about putting the Friends theme song instead of tlc's waterfall in the RV as the "victory" song. You can see on her face she really didn't know they were going to do that.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Yea the bloopers were cool.

What about putting the Friends theme song instead of tlc's waterfall in the RV as the "victory" song. You can see on her face she really didn't know they were going to do that.

Loved that and the blooper of when he starts playing with his ear
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Were the Millers did not disappoint!

You and Dusty are so perverted!!
^
Its nature.
Stardust Wrote:We're the Millers! Best movie of the year. This one did not disappoint like so many others did. With typical comedies, there are only "spot" laughs. They were successful in keeping this one funny throughout!

On your suggestion we watched this. Very funny, yet not to be watched by 12 and under ( maybe 21 and under for some ). I have a new found appreciation for Jennifer Anniston and Aerosmith Confusednicker:.

Not sure if I'll ever hear the name Joe Morgan and not chuckle from this point forward in my life.

Going to either see Ron Burgandys latest or The Hobbit Christmas Day.
I watched Anchorman 2 yesterday, I felt it wasn't as good as the first and their were a couple things I felt could have used more of.

But overall, it definitely had the laughs...I recommend it.
I wish there was a gif with the guy saying he calls it joe morgan lol...
Watching "Now You See Me," with Morgan Freedman. Not out on red box yet. Worth the early purchase though. A lot of action, plot twist and turns.

It's about magicians and illusion, very very good!
Adding 3 more to the list of watched. Saw the latest Hunger Games last night. The family enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was slow to develop. But it set up what could be a great finale in the next movie.

Also saw IronMan3, Pepper never disappoints.

Surprise by 2Guns with Denzel Washington and Marc Wahlberg, check it out on Redbox ( no kids due to language and violence ).

Was hoping to see the Hobbit but democracy won out on the Hunger Games.
Yeah Spirit, I watched 2 Guns last night.

Pretty solid action flick.