Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Taylor County 2013-14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This years Cardinal team looks very impressive so far. I do acknowledge that they have not played a tough schedule thus far, but they have a lot of talent, especially 1-5. They have a new player "David Slone" and that caught my attention as the "Slone" last name is common in EKY. Does anyone know of this player? He is playing well and has made the team much more flexible.
He is a really nice PG that came from somewhere in Louisville I believe. I watched him a few times this summer and he is a GREAT PG. Sees the floor extremely well and has a great feel for the game. His stock will only rise this season because he is nice man. He is a little undersized but he can go.
I think he spells his last name Sloan! Not sure though!
35 John Chewning center Jr.
44 Jarrod Rogers center So.
5 Tyler Franklin guard Fr.
10 David Slone guard Fr.
3 Quentin Goodin guard So.
45 Weston Sullivan center Sr.
2 Justice Gregory guard So.
11 Brady Turpin guard Sr.
24 Ezra Oliver guard Fr.
23 Austin Webster forward Jr.
21 Eric Quinn forward So.
14 Caleb Wigginton forward Sr.
41 Devin Rafferty forward So.
Goodin, Quentin 16.5 ppg
Slone, David 17.0 ppg
Wigginton, Caleb 12.0 ppg (coming off injury)
Turpin, Brady 11.5 ppg
Oliver, Ezra 10.0 ppg
I've saw them spell it the other way as well. They may have it wrong though. Nice young team. Should make some noise!
They're going to put up some good numbers based on the schedule they have. There aren't many tests on there. I'm looking forward to seeing them when they come up for the KOB showcase.
TC 2-0 plays Adair County 2-1 tonight @ Adair Co. I will keep the scores updated as I can.
Taylor Co 20 Adair Co 14 after 1 qtr
Boys Basketball: Taylor Co 26 Adair Co 16. 5:30 left 2nd qtr. #TCpride
Taylor Co 31 Adair Co 25 at the half.
Taylor Co 38 Adair Co 27. 4:39 left 3rd qtr.
Taylor Co 47 Adair Co 37. Start 4th qtr
68-44 TC final
They lost to a pretty marginal team from Indiana last night. I was excited to see them, but I'm afraid there's a lot more hype than substance on this team.
Marginal??? Saw where they were ranked in top 20 ( anywhere from 13-18) in Class 4A which has 101 teams in it. Does seem that marginal to me.
Sorry. They just didn't look all that sharp. They have 2 really good players, but there's a pretty big drop off after that. I don't see them competing in the 5th. But I could be wrong. That's why they play the games.
Slones are the poor version of the Sloan's is what my pappy always said lol. I actually knew 2 brothers born Slone yet one switched his last name to Sloan because he had money and was embarrassed by the spelling of Slone.

Mix1...
At best, Taylor County is fifth in the 5th Region behind Bardstown (beat John Hardin), John Hardin (reigning champ), Elizabethtown (beat Thomas Nelson) and Thomas Nelson. Bethlehem played Thomas Nelson close and Central Hardin led Elizabethtown for a while.

John Hardin blitzed Taylor County last year and JH still has Patrick Anderson, Keon Williams, Elijah Smith and Matt Miller back. Don't think TC has closed the gap that much.

TC plays the weakest -- BY FAR -- schedule of the 5th Region "contenders." TC should EASILY win more than 20 games this year, but no one will care unless they back it up in the region tourney.

TC has to hope it draws the 18th District loser (Green, Caverna or LaRue) in order to have any shot to advance in the region tourney. Because if TC draws the John Hardin-Elizabethtown loser in Round 1, it could have Bardstown-Thomas Nelson waiting in Round 2. Not to mention Bardstown-Thomas Nelson winner or Elizabethtown-John Hardin winner in the final.

TC doesn't have the horses to run that gauntlet. Maybe next year with Elizabethtown and John Hardin suffering significant graduation losses.
Is the team who Thomas Nelson barely beat the same Bethlehem team Taylor beat 68-33 tonight? You tell me.
undercoverwildcat Wrote:Is the team who Thomas Nelson barely beat the same Bethlehem team Taylor beat 68-33 tonight? You tell me.

1) Rivalry game for Bethlehem-TN. Not so much for TC-TN.

2) If Bethlehem is the best win TC has going for it ... well, that's not saying much. Nelson also beat Bethlehem and NO ONE is talking about Bethlehem. My point is that the score showed Bethlehem is capable of playing with the big boys.

Taylor's got some nice pieces -- Goodin and Wigginton plus the freshman -- but TC is not gonna gain respect with its schedule, no matter how much it wins by.

So like I said, the region is where Taylor's fate will be decided.

No one cares if you go 25-5 but aren't around for the region semis, region final or state.
cksportsfan Wrote:At best, Taylor County is fifth in the 5th Region behind Bardstown (beat John Hardin), John Hardin (reigning champ), Elizabethtown (beat Thomas Nelson) and Thomas Nelson. Bethlehem played Thomas Nelson close and Central Hardin led Elizabethtown for a while.

John Hardin blitzed Taylor County last year and JH still has Patrick Anderson, Keon Williams, Elijah Smith and Matt Miller back. Don't think TC has closed the gap that much.

TC plays the weakest -- BY FAR -- schedule of the 5th Region "contenders." TC should EASILY win more than 20 games this year, but no one will care unless they back it up in the region tourney.

TC has to hope it draws the 18th District loser (Green, Caverna or LaRue) in order to have any shot to advance in the region tourney. Because if TC draws the John Hardin-Elizabethtown loser in Round 1, it could have Bardstown-Thomas Nelson waiting in Round 2. Not to mention Bardstown-Thomas Nelson winner or Elizabethtown-John Hardin winner in the final.

TC doesn't have the horses to run that gauntlet. Maybe next year with Elizabethtown and John Hardin suffering significant graduation losses.

John Hardin had their first practice Monday with everyone on the team practicing and they looked very good against Central Hardin last night. Now that football all-star games are over and Matt Miller is finally healthy look for John to start rolling on all cylinders. To me, the Bardstown game means very little and if they meet in the 5th Region tournament, it may be a different game. When playing teams like JH and Bardstown teams had better be able to handle full court pressure the entire game or they will be in a lot of trouble. Should be very exciting to watch the 5th region this year.
The new coach acknowledges the weak schedule and has talked about adding JH and such back on the schedule for next season. The previous coach took a few good teams off the schedule and they are just playing the schedule that the previous coach made for them. The team is playing hard and win or lose in the region, it is good to see them playing like they care. I can get behind a team that plays hard!
TC can score but is not playing consistent. They better shore that up if they want to win against top competition.
Taylor County is a very good team right now an can only get better from 64SUR. :Cheerlead
64SUR Wrote:Taylor County is a very good team right now an can only get better from 64SUR. :Cheerlead

Extremely young but they have many games to go and gain needed experience.
They are young, but Wiggington will graduate this year, then all they have is Goodin and Sloan. It takes a lot more than 2 guards if you want to win. When I saw them at Iroquois Wiggington was their biggest player, and he's really a guard or a wing. Do they have any size coming up through the ranks? If not, they won't be much better next year.
6thregion Wrote:They are young, but Wiggington will graduate this year, then all they have is Goodin and Sloan. It takes a lot more than 2 guards if you want to win. When I saw them at Iroquois Wiggington was their biggest player, and he's really a guard or a wing. Do they have any size coming up through the ranks? If not, they won't be much better next year.

Two top players are Goodin and Wiggington. After that there are role players. Wiggington is still getting into game shape coming off an off season injury. He sat the first game of the season.
How many scorer can you have on one team? Goodin avg 21 Wiggington 18 Sloan (when healthy) 14 Webster 8 Oliver 7. That is 68 out of the starters.

When 2 guys avg about 20 each, the rest are role players when it comes to scoring. I do not believe there is any team in the state with 3 guys avg over 20. So be real and understand the game. It is high school basketball. Most teams don't avg 75-80 as TC does.

Each player on the team has their own role. Some is scoring (Goodin/Wiggington/Sloan). Some is rebounding (Webster/Wiggington). Some is passing (Goodin/Oliver/Sloan). All is defense. See roles make up a team. It doesn't make players bad because they play their role to help the team win.

And guess what, next year TC will have the same average points when Wiggington graduates. The other 4 returning starters plus the new 5th starter can score an additional 20 points a game if needed. TC will get the same number of shots as this year and guess what the same number of makes.
Young team and will do nothing but improve. Don't think they are at the top yet but who knows it's basketball fellas
Pages: 1 2