Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How will the 2014 season be with nearly 20 seniors graduating?
Somerset will most definitely be very young at almost all positions. I expect a down year but we will be back! The incoming freshman class is loaded. Going to be 2-3 years before we get back to regional contenders.
jumper1 Wrote:Somerset will most definitely be very young at almost all positions. I expect a down year but we will be back! The incoming freshman class is loaded. Going to be 2-3 years before we get back to regional contenders.

This. Jumpers lose a group of seniors that was instrumental since they were sophomores. They will be back. Great thing is they have a nucleus of will be juniors who will get the opportunity to play together for 2 years on the Friday night stage. They've gotta win the battle in the weight room this off season, the schedule is brutal.
Middlesboro is coming for the Jumpers next season. Be ready for a thumpin
BigDawgPrez Wrote:Middlesboro is coming for the Jumpers next season. Be ready for a thumpin

The jumpers definitely have a target on their back after what they've done the past 5 years. Get them while you can, they won't be down long. Middlesboro should have the team to beat in the district... No need to beat your chest, if you all don't represent the east at the state game it will be an under achievement in my opinion. That being said this jumper group will work and improve as this staffs ball teams tend to do over the course of a season.
I'm pretty sure that we are playing you guys in the Pike County Bowl next season.

It'll be a really good game!
Somerset always seems to put a competitive bunch on the field.
How will Briar Jumpers fair vs inner county teams next season?
i think Pulaski will beat them by as much as they want, and Southwestern will get them in a close one is what i think
New coach at Southwestern could make them much better.
Saying that without a clue as to who it is going to be.
Mr. Pike Central Wrote:I'm pretty sure that we are playing you guys in the Pike County Bowl next season.

It'll be a really good game!

I thought it would be:
Pikeville vs. Somerset
Hazard vs. PCC
Belfry vs. Henry Clay

By no means do I know this for sure...but that would seem the most likely (and most competitive) option for a lineup.

PCC vs. Somerset would be an excellent game next year..but that would mean Belfry vs. Hazard and Pikeville vs. Henry Clay
The new coaching situation at SW should make for an interesting inner county season
Inner county games are great for on-line forums and the fans, but don't mean much in the grand scheme of the season for any of the teams.
Could be a rough year for the jumpers, sounds like a couple of teams with open coaching positions are after Coach Lucas.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I thought it would be:
Pikeville vs. Somerset
Hazard vs. PCC
Belfry vs. Henry Clay

By no means do I know this for sure...but that would seem the most likely (and most competitive) option for a lineup.

PCC vs. Somerset would be an excellent game next year..but that would mean Belfry vs. Hazard and Pikeville vs. Henry Clay

Well I was under the assumption that because Pike Central & Belfry play on the same night on the same field that they would be alternating opponents each year.
In the past five seasons, the Jumpers have won more games (55) and captured more regional titles (5) than during any other comparable period in their 105+ year history. They're a mid-level AA school in a small town with two large, respectable county programs very nearby. If they have a down year in 2014, it's understandable.

By all accounts, they'll be in "rebuilding" mode, so clearly this program might not be the best place for those a little squeamish about taking a shot or two in the mouth from time to time. Short-term, there will likely be some failure and disappointment. Some are ill-equipped to weather that. But handled in the right way for the right reasons, the program will be back in short order.

Thus, coaches, players or parents not involved in the program for reasons bigger than themselves should move in an orderly fashion to one of the clearly marked exits at the front or rear of the plane. Those who stay will benefit, regardless of the scoreboard.
I assume your talking to me since Jordan is the only transfer and I'm the only coach. Exit has already happened. Dead issue. Not meant sarcastically at all, I wish the Jumpers the best in the future.
Briar jumper bd Wrote:I assume your talking to me since Jordan is the only transfer and I'm the only coach. Exit has already happened. Dead issue. Not meant sarcastically at all, I wish the Jumpers the best in the future.

I don't usually talk (or write) TO anyone on here. I merely observe and interpret. So don't read too much personally into anything I might spout (especially when I don't personalize it), though I understand some might occasionally be prone to do so. Off-season is always the time of reassessment and change; it's not just you.

Rather, the issue I tried to address is much bigger and more pervasive than any one personality. After all, any individual is merely a small part, a symptom of a larger whole, not the entire problem.

Good luck, though.
I know a few of there coaches, Somerset will be fine, what Somerset has accomplished the last 5 years is remarkable. I know they lose a lot but they will still be tough. They have a strong feeder system and good staff that will get the most of the kids. I do not know all the ins and outs, but I do know the coaches, kids and fans have a lot of pride and won't lay down for anyone next year, look for Somerset to play with a chip on their shoulder and capitalize on the "no one believes in us" but us mentality. I would not fall asleep on Somerset next year...God speed to you guys!
Next season has more questions and things up in the air than any of the last 5 or 6 seasons this off season. That could be a good thing, there should be a lot of opportunity for kids to work themselves into playing time.

Jumpers numbers have dropped the last couple of seasons, need to get kids back out for football and keep them all engaged someway to keep numbers up. It would be nice to get back to around 60 kids.
Expect to see 20 plus in the incoming freshman class. Could be as many as 25.
The Staff at Somerset does a Great Job getting kids ready to play. They may be a little down next year but don't count them out. I'd be proud for one of mine to play for these guys anytime.
jumper1 Wrote:Expect to see 20 plus in the incoming freshman class. Could be as many as 25.

And correct me if I am wrong this is a very talented group, who even though they are young have played most of their life and can contribute right away, Somerset has had freshmen contribute before, an example of that is their Qb Castle Hatcher. Most people think Somerset is a few years away, but I think this staff gets the most out of them and plays ahead of schedule, this bunch will be hungry to prove people wrong...never underestimate the motivation of wanting to prove naysayers wrong, I think this team will feed on that next year. I think the kids hit it hard in the off season and staff capitalize on their belief in this team, when many don't...you'd be surprised what a team can do with a chip on their shoulder...I am pulling for em, their staff have always helped me be a better coach, there staff have always told me if I needed anything let em know, I appreciated that, they have helped us out at Jackson Co., so we got a lot of love for Somerset and are pulling for em...the train keeps rolling!!!

Get it Done Somerset!
The incoming freshman are every bit as good as the graduating seniors were as 8th graders. As a matter of fact I think they will as a group better. I had a son play on both teams, 2009 and 2013, who ironically started at the same position but physically was the difference between daylight and complete darkness. I expect big things from this incoming class as does coach Lucas. He is looking forward to there discipline and toughness.
jumper1 Wrote:The incoming freshman are every bit as good as the graduating seniors were as 8th graders. As a matter of fact I think they will as a group better. I had a son play on both teams, 2009 and 2013, who ironically started at the same position but physically was the difference between daylight and complete darkness. I expect big things from this incoming class as does coach Lucas. He is looking forward to there discipline and toughness.

Glad to hear this. This is something the Jumpers have been lacking since the 2009 bunch graduated. If we played with a little more discipline up at Belfry in 2010 we definitely had a shot to at least challenge Central.
MERRY CHRISTMAS Somerset FROM 64SUR. :truestory:
RoShamBo Wrote:Glad to hear this. This is something the Jumpers have been lacking since the 2009 bunch graduated. If we played with a little more discipline up at Belfry in 2010 we definitely had a shot to at least challenge Central.

I don't think somerset has been lacking any discipline, I think it is just the selfish players they have had .:HitWall: Not trying to call anyone one out. But that is one thing they really didn't have in 2009. But I agree with you in some way take away the selfishness and somerset said would have competed for if not won in 2010
I look forward to hearing or seeing the hazard and somerset game next year?
Great news for Jumper football fans. Castle Hatcher is returning for his final two years as a Jumper!
Pages: 1 2