Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tight Officiating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How is the NEW officiating this year affecting your games. Whitley, Garrard had 58 fouls and 77 free throws.
Glad I will not have to watch wrestling matches.... May see some basketball skills....
East Carter/Lawrence Co. game had 65 fouls, 93 free throws, 8 players fouled out. There wasn't a chance to see much basketball skill on display in this game that averaged 3 free throws per minute. The game was painful to watch, no flow, and took forever to play.
BlueSky Wrote:Glad I will not have to watch wrestling matches.... May see some basketball skills....

Already tired of watching free throw contest...like to get back to basketball. Fans will get tired of this soon and refs will get a ear full quicker than that. I do not like what is happening to the high school game at all. Just my 2 cents and it is not worth that.
The Harlan/North Laurel game was just as bad. 38 fouls called in the first half resulting in 50 fts in the half. Many players had 4 fouls with one player fouling out(Asher from NL)
I am not a fan of all the hand checking fouls that are called now... slows down the game too much.
How many times do you have to tell the kids, don't put your hand on dribbler! Before they learn? If it was a blood bath, blame officials, called tight, blame officials, our team loses, refs cheated! At some point the kids and coaches will have to step up!
I agree Ivebeenthere. Maybe teams will start playing basketball. Watched so many games over the years in the 13th where a lot of the times the strongest teams won. Now once everyone gets used to playing the correct way, it will fall back to skill level.
I understand kids have to move their feet and not use their hands. I really believe after watching last night, officials have been told to clean up the game and call the fouls so many times that they are calling fouls just to be calling them. They are getting caught up in the whistles and getting in a habit of calling fouls just because they were told to do so. I agree the kids use their hands way to much, but the game I saw was completely ridiculous. It wasn't one-sided, cheating, or anything else. It was a mockery of basketball, and it put the center of attention squarely on the officials. Some officials will love this, the good ones will not.
Games will be tight early, but like Jimmy Dykes on ESPN said about college refs the same can be said for high school, by mid-January things will be more loosely called and the flow of games will be better.
This is even harder on the football players trying to transition to basketball!! LOL It usually takes a game or two to beat that football mentality out of them!

Wink
I know Whitley did a lot better with just 1 game under their belt. I think the teams will adjust and I believe in the long run it will make for better games.
Teams will adjust and hopefully scoring will go up. I talked with one older high school official and he's glad things are tightening up....he felt like basketball had gotten too rough as a whole.
Maybe by Jan. The players will adjust and play without fouling? Don't know, but if your parents said don't do that and you did some of us got spanked, then some said it's not your fault baby!
The assigning secretary Don White of the 13 region is really pushing this new rule crap. The 13th will be horrible and long games because of this new foul stuff. I am all for cleaning up the game but PLEASE don't screw with the flow of the game. The first few games of the 13th have been ridiculous as far as fouls goes. I went to the Harlan County/Pineville scrimmage the other day and Mr. White was up and down the sideline coaching the ref's and trying to impose his authority on them. I am not going to mention some of the 13th region ref's names but this will only make things worse for the 13th because there is a few of our ref's that LOVE to be seen.
I was talking with head coach last night. His comment was it appears the new rules "only apply to the visiting team."
I think it's great. With flu season kicking off about the same time as basketball, I think it will prevent the spread of influenza. By players not being able to touch or get within a few feet of each other will cut back on the spread of many illnesses. Schools should also order more hotdogs. Sales should increase by around 30% due to game time extension. Good opportunity for fund raisers for coaches. Utilize this time to get sponsors for your free throw shoot a thons. It will also allow all kids to be able to play. Now you don't even have to be in shape due to the clock stopping on average every 22.4 seconds. Players should be allowed to go home and study after fouling out. This should average out to several hours of study time for each kid throughout the season. I could go on and on about the benifits of this rule but I think I've praised KHSAA enough. Be glad to see the manditory helmet rule next season.
Most fans dont know the new rules. Some teams have been stressing it more in early practice, other coaches who are not as smart are now crying.
It's not just Don , it's the NCAA and NFHS they want a game decided by who is the better athlete and not the strongest! You will see a lot of smaller quicker teams winning games!
^ You may also see lower scoring games due to more zone defenses and less pressing, resulting in slower tempo.
It was implemented to make it more of an offensive game. The lowest avg points scored in NCAA last year made them want to have a more offensive game. When everyone learns to stop crying about fouls being called and adapt to the new rules. NEW RULES not OFFICIALS WANTING ATTENTION. I think it will eventually speed up the game and flow simply because defenders will have to allow the ball handler to go by them instead of slowing them down like they did in the past.
Its simple, teach your kids not to use their hands and slide their feet. On the other end better make sure you can shoot free throws.
The 13th assigner was doing his job and making sure all his guys are getting on the same page so that its called correctly across the board. I dont know the guy, but it sounds like you are complaining about him actually doing his job.
Ladies and Gentlemen, your MVP

[Image: MDfSWRW.jpg?1]
Your MVP will be a quick kid who can slide his feet and then beat his man off the dribble.
bear claw Wrote:The assigning secretary Don White of the 13 region is really pushing this new rule crap. The 13th will be horrible and long games because of this new foul stuff. I am all for cleaning up the game but PLEASE don't screw with the flow of the game. The first few games of the 13th have been ridiculous as far as fouls goes. I went to the Harlan County/Pineville scrimmage the other day and Mr. White was up and down the sideline coaching the ref's and trying to impose his authority on them. I am not going to mention some of the 13th region ref's names but this will only make things worse for the 13th because there is a few of our ref's that LOVE to be seen.

Went to the Cumberland Falls Invitational Tip Off tournament Wed. night. They had the top three teams in the region and a very good Harlan city team playing. This was the only 2 games being .played that night in the region and three of the six officials there was over 300lbs that have yet to run there first step. Most the time they were out of position and had no clue what had happen just that contact had occurred. Word on the street is Mr. White has instructed the officials that any time someone drives and contact occurs it is a foul. Which is what they called, but they called nothing on cutters getting mugged going through the lane and all the pushing and on shoving on rebounds and there was a couple nasty plays away from the ball with no calls. My question is if this is the only games being played and you are going to call games like this, why are not the best officials being used.
These rules always just seem to apply to the mountain regions. You can go and watch a mountain basketball game and teams playing half court defense will have 60 fouls between them. Then you go watch a game in Lexington or Louisville and teams will press the entire game, with half the fouls called.
I have watched games in the 13, 14, 15,16 regions the 15 might be the worse . one ref calls it close the other lets them kill each other. I guess they just got what they have to call the games.
Games I have seen this far, there is no consistency. I seen done seen some free throw shooting contests and others where the rougher play is let go. I guess it is different region to region right now. Just would like to see more consistency.
The only thing I hate about the rule besides that it takes 3 hours to play a game is that it's almost impossible to play D. I've watched several games and if you beat the offensive player to the spot they still call block. If the bigs stand w/ hands straight up and offensive player jumps n2 them its a block. I mean its REAL bad. I don't like it at all. Kids will have a very hard time adjusting to this. I'm not crying either. I seen 30 fouls called 50 feet from the basket and the defensive players hands are out wide. It's like if you touch the player then it's a foul. I think it SUCKS! It will b almost impossible to guard a really good player. He/she will shoot 20/25 free throws a game.
That is what they want, defense without contact or it's a foul, If the ball handler makes a move to the basket they can not be touched! Makes for easier offense, which in turn means more points. When every team realizes this the better the games will be to watch! More offense is so much more fun, Teams just need to quit fouling.
fanantic Wrote:Games I have seen this far, there is no consistency. I seen done seen some free throw shooting contests and others where the rougher play is let go. I guess it is different region to region right now. Just would like to see more consistency.

Consistency is the key. Unfortunately, with the way the "new" rule is being stressed, it is nearly impossible to be consistent this early. When too much emphasis is placed on something it makes it tough on officials.
Our School has been playing since the first weekend of Novermber and we've seen officials from the 5th, 6th, 7th, 13th, 15th and 16th regions as well as Ohio and Virginia. All the officials have let it be known at the beginning of every game that there will be an emphasis on hand checking as well as the way defense is played on the post. Our team has made the transition very well. It will take a few games to get a feel for the way the games are being called but the kids will adjust.
Pages: 1 2