Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 7 Ways to Save Gas this Winter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was always told it was bad on your car's engine in the cold to start it up and take off without letting it warm up first. Any truth to that?
judgementday Wrote:I was always told it was bad on your car's engine in the cold to start it up and take off without letting it warm up first. Any truth to that?

Starting your car in the cold may not always be necessary.
Sure, its good to get in a nice warm car before you take off, but in all modern cars over the last 20 years, it only takes a minute or two for the oil to circulate through the engine which is the main reason for starting up a vehicle and letting it warm. I would also recommend not taking off like a bat out of hell when you first pull out and start up the road. Starting out gently is the best way to go in the winter.
Instead of defrosting, you could always scrape your windshield instead. Personally, in my old chevy pickup that i drive back in forth to work, it is necessary to start it up and let it run a little bit. The old 350 Engines in the chevys will rattle and knock if you dont give it a little while because the oil doesnt circulate as quick in older engines as in new ones. For my Dodge diesel, I just plug it up so I have heat, and it doesnt really effect the fuel by letting it idle since its a diesel, so it doesnt matter either way on it.

In newer vehicles, Ive heard it is reccomeneded that you dont start your vehicle up and let it run. I even have a cousin who has a newer Toyota pick up and it actually says right in the manual not to let it run. Dont ask me why.