Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Explaining the Beechwood Decline
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know many in Ft. Mitchell are shocked and disappointed at Beechwood's loss to Frankfort. I wanted to explore whether this is a one year blip, or is this an ominous trend.

As a BW outsider, my understanding is that this is the first year they have made a serious attempt at installing a pass offense. Could it be that championship expectations were just too large in the first year of such a transition?

Also, with Scott, Dixie and SK all having programs in good shape or, at least on the rise, could it be that the flow of athletes from Kenton County has slowed or stopped?

Thoughts?????
Frankfort is good. Give them a little credit.
Kids got depressed that mayfield was in their bracket... gave up.... they threw in the towel .... they just finally got used to the fact that they were going to lose to mayfield every year.. plus it saved them a five and a half hour drive.. lmao.. sry. had too. We respect u beachwoodies..
I'm not making any judgments here. Infact, I don't follow 1A ball that closely. I just know that Ft. Mitchell is in an uproar right now.

So you are saying that other programs in 1A like Frankfort, and maybe Raceland, have caught up or surpassed Beechwood?
Not necessarily.. beechwood has just had a couple down years coupled with the fact that mayfield has been nocking them off the last couple of years keepin them outta games for gold. Their teams have still been good up untill this year.. to much tradition for them to fall off.. they will do a lil recruting this spring and summer and be well soon enough for another shot..
Pick6 Wrote:I know many in Ft. Mitchell are shocked and disappointed at Beechwood's loss to Frankfort. I wanted to explore whether this is a one year blip, or is this an ominous trend.

As a BW outsider, my understanding is that this is the first year they have made a serious attempt at installing a pass offense. Could it be that championship expectations were just too large in the first year of such a transition?

Also, with Scott, Dixie and SK all having programs in good shape or, at least on the rise, could it be that the flow of athletes from Kenton County has slowed or stopped?

Thoughts?????
I have seen Scott facilities and am impressed. In all honesty Scott is probably closer to Bowling Green(the finals not the team) than Beechwood. Mayfield is in Beechwood's way. If my child was in that area there are just better options 5A or 1A, sorry just the truth for Beechwood right now.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Kids got depressed that mayfield was in their bracket... gave up.... they threw in the towel .... they just finally got used to the fact that they were going to lose to mayfield every year.. plus it saved them a five and a half hour drive.. lmao.. sry. had too. We respect u beachwoodies..

:welcome: to 2A mayfield word on the streets :lmao:
Ehh. Dont think we will have enough to get there.. by number we have enough but by judgement of khsaa I think we are still close enough to keep us in 1a. Sry to bust ur bubble 64.. they need to let us play up.. but wont allow it. Its been presented an denied
ontopofthewest Wrote:Ehh. Dont think we will have enough to get there.. by number we have enough but by judgement of khsaa I think we are still close enough to keep us in 1a. Sry to bust ur bubble 64.. they need to let us play up.. but wont allow it. Its been presented an denied

I doubt that Confusednicker:
ontopofthewest Wrote:Not necessarily.. beechwood has just had a couple down years coupled with the fact that mayfield has been nocking them off the last couple of years keepin them outta games for gold. Their teams have still been good up untill this year.. to much tradition for them to fall off.. they will do a lil recruting this spring and summer and be well soon enough for another shot..

But the big pitch has always been come to BW and win a 1A title. I'm not sure that pitch resonates now, especially with KC programs having success. Maybe BC is the place for that pitch.
I believe the rise of Scott, Dixie & Sk has a ton to do with it.
If Mayfield has the numbers they have to let us play up to many natural rivalries for them not 2.
I believe it's just a simple case of a not very good senior class. They lose one senior oline man, almost return their entire team next season. Excellent coaching staff. Get ready to crown this team state champs in 14 and 15.
Btw, grew up hating beechwood lol. So pains me to say that. See above.
The Beechies had a down year this year. It happens. As far as the previous 4 yrs, frankly, Mayfield just had better teams. In 2011, they were pretty even, but, that year, they had to make the 5+ hr drive to Mayfield and fell a little short. However, even if they would have gotten by Mayfield in those 4 years, LCA would have beaten them in 2009 and Hazard would have given them all they wanted in 2010. I think they may have won it in 2011, but, like Mayfield, they'd have been beat up from the game before and if Hazard played against them like they did the Cards, it would have been a tossup. Fairview, imo, had the better team in 2012, so, throw Mayfield out of the mix and they may have won 1 or 2 more championships, but, no guarantee they'd have won any. I think a lot of the stronger 1a teams like Russellville, Hazard, Raceland, Frankfort, etc have caught up to them, moreso than them slipping. This year, in particular, may be the most balanced and deep 1a has been in a long time.
It's very simple, they are no longer getting the transfers! It's not something new, the Ft. Mitchell folks no this and are concerned about this. I spoke to the for Beechwood baseball coach last season and he said that the school is doing outstanding with the residential students, but the sports programs have been on the decline over the last four years in getting kids from outside the Ft. Mitchell District to come there. This has been a known concern with the coaches, nothing new.
Stardust Wrote:It's very simple, they are no longer getting the transfers! It's not something new, the Ft. Mitchell folks no this and are concerned about this. I spoke to the for Beechwood baseball coach last season and he said that the school is doing outstanding with the residential students, but the sports programs have been on the decline over the last four years in getting kids from outside the Ft. Mitchell District to come there. This has been a known concern with the coaches, nothing new.

So, where are they going? CovCath? Scott, SK, Dixie? Ludlow?
It takes a while to get the system reinvented to become a passing type team. I took us about 3-4 years to get there.
Stardust Wrote:It's very simple, they are no longer getting the transfers! It's not something new, the Ft. Mitchell folks no this and are concerned about this. I spoke to the for Beechwood baseball coach last season and he said that the school is doing outstanding with the residential students, but the sports programs have been on the decline over the last four years in getting kids from outside the Ft. Mitchell District to come there. This has been a known concern with the coaches, nothing new.
I don't agree with anything here. Not sure you know what your talking about at all here. They still get out of district kids. Their top rb should be at SK and he's just a sophomore. Their QB is a sophomore, going to be very good. Mayfield has just been better than them the last few years, that's all. You can say what you want, in 11 beechwood was very good, injuries cost them a state title. I've said it before, every year team set goals. There are only three teams in NKY every year that have a legit shot at winning state, HHS, NCC and beechwood.
^ Nope, I have no facts to it at all - BUT - I would expect that the coaches do! My comment was reiterating someone that I would figure is in the know, more so than you or I!
Can you dig it? Wrote:So, where are they going? CovCath? Scott, SK, Dixie? Ludlow?

Well, being close to the baseball program, I know that the kids that were so instrumental to the Myerhoff years were from Boone Co., and that is not there now. Getting a transplant from Carroll Co. like they did during that timeframe is not occurring at this time either.
E's Army Wrote:Frankfort is good. Give them a little credit.

E's Army nailed it with the 2nd post, Frankfort is a lot better than most people thought. What hurt Beechwood this year is that Frankfort's senior class were key parts of the last 2 Frankfort teams that IMO were good enough to beat Beechwood the past 2 seasons.

Add in the game being at Frankfort and Frankfort not having that one all-state caliber player but several dangerous weapons all over. And this wasn't your typical Beechwood team. It was the perfect storm for a "Capital" sized upset

But as far as Beechwood is concerned, they've always struggled with Mayfield, even when Yeagle was there. This season, I think they lost some of their usual Boone County kids to Conner and Cooper's recent success. Beechwood usually has a big presence in Boone County.
Beechwood benefitted greatly in much of the 90's from not having Danville or Mayfield in class A.
Beechwood is just fine. They had several key injuries the past two seasons. Being a 1A school and losing not just starters, but your best starters you were counting on to be your leaders is hard to overcome. The number one problem Beechwood has is their past. They will never replicate the dominance enjoyed in the 80 and 90s.