Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset 28 Prestonsburg 21
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final from Pburg

Pure offense in the first half and all defense mostly in the second half.

Somerset scored on 4th & goal early in the 4th quarter and then hit on a 84-yard touchdown with close to 2 minutes left.

Great season Blackcats! You guys played well beyond my expectations - You have nothing to hang your heads about.

Best luck next week to the Jumpers!
Cong: to P-burg on your season.
Congrats Briar Jumpers!
Jumpers need to go to NCC and take care of business.
Wished Pburg could have won. Congrats on a great season
Closer than I expected.
Somerset up 14 -0 end of one. Down 21-14 at half. Win 28-21 Great HS Football game. Remember on Road, Wind and Rain, a clock keeper officials had to talk to several times and several bad spots. Oh . hell should not complain we won. we won, we won. on to NCC.
Congrats to Bunnies. Congrats to Pburg on a great season.
All I can say is survive and advance
Great football game. Wish it had ended differently but a super effort by both teams. Both teams could complain about calls, the time clock, and all sort of other stuff but that detracts from the effort by both teams.
Proud of my Blackcats and with only three seniors graduating they only lose two starters. The future looks good. Thanks for a great year and so long to three great young men; 55 Kyle Wallace, 56 Eric Collins and 12 Cole Barley
Cellking Wrote:Jumpers need to go to NCC and take care of business.

Yep, last chance with that particular group of young men - they've had a great run...

Best of luck, Jumpers, in NKY !!
Midway in the 4th, Somerset had a 4th and goal from the 10. P-burg sacked the QB at the 15, BUT the official calls one of the Blackcat defenders for "head contact" on the tackle of the QB. On the redo, now from the 5, the Jumpers throw a TD pass to tie it up. First time I've seen that penalty called all year anywhere.

Prestonsburg left points on the field in the 4th. There was yet another refusal by the coaching staff to attempt a field goal. This time it was 4th and 8 at the Somerset 11 with 3:30 remaining. It would have been about a 28 yd try. If it hits, P-burg leads 24-21. Instead, we throw an incomplete pass and turn it over on downs.

Somerset's coach came up big on a big roll of the dice (nice, gutsy call btw) - calling a deep throw on 3rd and 8 from their own 14.... if it doesn't hit, the Jumpers are kicking with the punter inside his own 5 leaving 2:30 mins to play.

Prestonsburg driving with 1:40. Pass thrown over the middle and the receiver bobbles the pass and brings it in just before taking a hit. The receiver is driven back 3yds to his knees then coughs it up. The officials conference - calling it a fumble. One of them threw a FLAG on the tackle (I'd thought they were calling a spear as the tacklers head was down), but it seemed to be ignored entirely (perhaps the official simply meant to mark the ball, I don't know). Somerset able to then run out the clock.

Those were the pivotal plays in the game.

Tough loss for the Blackcats to take, but it was a GREAT game nonetheless.

:popcorn: :Thumbs:
I listened to it on the radio on my way to Murray. Sounded like both teams played their tails off. I can't help but think the Somerset's experience had to play a factor in the 4th quarter. Great win--5th Regional Title in a row and 16th overall. Great season for Prestonsburg, they'll be extremely tough next year.
Walt Longmire Wrote:I listened to it on the radio on my way to Murray. Sounded like both teams played their tails off. I can't help but think the Somerset's experience had to play a factor in the 4th quarter. Great win--5th Regional Title in a row and 16th overall. Great season for Prestonsburg, they'll be extremely tough next year.

Prestonsburg played the entirety of the 3rd qtr in their own end (having 2 possessions killed on holding calls deep in their own end), but held Somerset scoreless.

Maybe Somerset being a senior-laden squad didn't lose heart...most other teams would have had a let down after being turned away on multiple possessions with the ball in such good field position. Instead, they finally punched it in on their second chance at 4th and goal on their 3rd attempted drive to score (all beginning in P-burg territory).

If these 2 teams played 10 times, it would end up 5-5.
oneijoe Wrote:Prestonsburg played the entirety of the 3rd qtr in their own end (having 2 possessions killed on holding calls deep in their own end), but held Somerset scoreless.

Maybe Somerset being a senior-laden squad didn't lose heart...most other teams would have had a let down after being turned away on multiple possessions with the ball in such good field position. Instead, they finally punched it in on their second chance at 4th and goal on their 3rd attempted drive to score (all beginning in P-burg territory).

If these 2 teams played 10 times, it would end up 5-5.

Each team made their run in the first half with the wind at their backs. Also in the 3rd quarter Somerset was able to keep the ball on the Prestonsburg end of the field, also with the wind at their backs. Did the wind play a pretty big factor or was it just a coincidence?
Someone in the update thread was voicing a complaint about Frasure not getting the ball enough in the 2nd half.

Somerset came out after the break run-blitzing both inside LB and keying heavily on him. Most of the 3rd quarter saw P-burg deep in their own end facing many long-yardage situations from multiple holding penalties. Third downs >10 yds to go takes the ball out of Frasure's hands. It's not something the coach can do much about.

The long drive the Blackcats mounted in the 4th qtr was mostly via the legs of Jarrell play-faking off Frasure.
Cellking Wrote:Jumpers need to go to NCC and take care of business.

Let's dance!
Game turned out as I thought, not a blow out but a hard fought contest. Congrats to Pburg on a good season, as well as, Somerset for their regional championship.
Great win for the Jumpers!
Walt Longmire Wrote:Each team made their run in the first half with the wind at their backs. Also in the 3rd quarter Somerset was able to keep the ball on the Prestonsburg end of the field, also with the wind at their backs. Did the wind play a pretty big factor or was it just a coincidence?

I think it was coincidence... the wind wasn't much of a factor. Really, neither was the rain. Overall, the weather was much better than the last forecast I read.

The reason P-burg played the 3rd in their own end was being called for holding on their first set of downs on their two possessions. First and 20/2nd and 15/etc is a tough hole to work out of when the team's bread-and-butter is power running. And when you add in P-burg was playing from the lead deep in their own end, the Blackcat offense keeping it conservative (leaning on its defense) is understandable.
Congratulations Somerset!!! What a great game!! Even with all the distractions, these two teams were able to make it a nail bitter for the entire game!!

I feel badly for Prestonsburg. These kids really gelled as a team, and has been coming on strong ever since the Betsy Layne game. It seemed to me that both teams played with a lot of heart and determination. Sadly, there's always a loser!
What a game, I listened to this one on the radio and it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Congrats to P-burg on a great season after a shaky start and congrats on Somerset on the win!
Cellking Wrote:Somerset up 14 -0 end of one. Down 21-14 at half. Win 28-21 Great HS Football game. Remember on Road, Wind and Rain, a clock keeper officials had to talk to several times and several bad spots. Oh . hell should not complain we won. we won, we won. on to NCC.

Wait a minute you forgot a couple, you ran out of gas, you had a flat tire, you didn't have enough money for cab fair, your tux didn't come back from the cleaners, there was a fire, earthquake. Everyone played in the same conditions and I don't see any of the losers complaining.:Clap::Clap::Clap:
Nice job Jumpers way to go team is getting healthy again
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Wait a minute you forgot a couple, you ran out of gas, you had a flat tire, you didn't have enough money for cab fair, your tux didn't come back from the cleaners, there was a fire, earthquake. Everyone played in the same conditions and I don't see any of the losers complaining.:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Nah, I didn't run out of money. Didn't need a cab (I'm in Myrtle Beach) May run out of money before I leave, No where to wear a tux down here. No fire or earthquake. Cong: to Prestonsburg on a Great season. I feel that next year you and Middlesboro will be the Teams to beat in our region.
What a great game to watch. Didn't look good at half-time but my jumpers fought back hard in the second half. A great hit by McWilliams to help seal the deal. Now let's stay focused and go get another win next week. Go jumpers
Congratulations Somerset!

And also Congratulations Prestonsburg for making a big turnaround to your season. You did your best and nobody can do anything but praise you for what you made of this season.
Great game and great job by Somerset.

Their tough schedule may have cost them in the regular season...but it looks like it is making a difference in the playoffs.
Congrats to both teams on a very hard fought game.

Congrats to Somerset on the win & good luck the rest of the way.

Congrats to Prestonsburg on a good season. You guys really have grown throughout the year. The future looks very bright for this young team as we only lose 3 players to graduation this year. Hit the weight room boys and prepare for next year. The hard work and dedication you put in the off season will pay dividends this coming year.

Hold your heads high boys, as always this year, you left it on the field.

Go get'em Bunnies.
If not for at least 3 dropped ints, one would have gone for a TD, pburg wins this game.
Pages: 1 2