Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Butler 29 Simon Kenton 14 Class 6A Playoffs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Butlers athleticism wins again.
That's a shame, was hoping for SK to go all the way and really thought they would.
Great season Pioneers!
Congrats on a very good season SK....

SPEED KILLS!!!

I look forward to a full report from the SK faithful. Butlers D must have game planned very well!

I'll predict a Louisville final now: Butler vs. Male in the championship!
Congrats on a very good season SK....

SPEED KILLS!!!

I look forward to a full report from the SK faithful. Butlers D must have game planned very well!

I'll predict a Louisville final now: Butler vs. Male in the championship!
Guess it's back up to Ryle to being first title to NKY 6a.
TNT-MB1 Wrote:Guess it's back up to Ryle to being first title to NKY 6a.

Or Campbell.Confusedhh:
I hate to see that SK lost. You guys had a great team and a great year.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Or Campbell.Confusedhh:

or Dixie...
TNT started it Confusednicker:.

Back to the thread....

Best of luck to the Pioneer seniors and the potential opportunities ahead!

:Thumbs:
Spirit100 Wrote:TNT started it Confusednicker:.

Back to the thread....

Best of luck to the Pioneer seniors and the potential opportunities ahead!

:Thumbs:

But great Career to Kuntz truest was in a league of his own sorry to see it end to a L Ville team

2014 smack talk starts now!
Congrats to Butler.
Spirit100 Wrote:or Dixie...

OR SK! lol

Congrats to Butler on a well played game. SK was very tight from the get go and too conservitive IMO. No shame Seniors, for going 3-5 as freshman you sure have come a long way. I couldn't be more proud. Well off to a nice warm gym for a few months!
Who can pick 6a?
mysonis55 Wrote:Who can pick 6a?

Male easy over anyone left.
Nothing from ukfan? At least hop has the balls to show his face. I said this was an interesting game. SK had not seen the speed butler has. I wasn't to far off from my 13-1 record prediction.
Butler has Freak speed. None of the NKY teams could get up on them to force them to kill themselves. Thus Butler wins and I'm guessing heads to Meade Cty.
Congratulations to the Butler Bears. They stopped SK on two critical short yardage plays in the first half and that, was essentially the ball game. One stop prevented a score from the SK 5 and the other led to a punt into the wind that was returned for a Butler score.

The SK game plan was inexplicably conservative. BK threw less than 5 passes in the first half. Granted, the wind was heavy , but not enough to inhibit the short passing game. I'm particularly disappointed with the under utilization of the TE in the passing game.

I'm going to have to echo the sentiments of weak scheduling. The New Caths and Holy Crosses need to come off the schedule and folks like Male, Manual, Ballard, Scott County and Butler need to come on the schedule. I just don't think you can wait until the playoffs to get exposed the challenges of the team speed that the elite programs present.

That being said, it is no coincidence that 3 of the 4 6a finalists are from Louisville area. The pool of athletes these schools draw from are of a breath and depth that are simply not present in the NKy gene pool. We thought we caught a break when their running back went down. Their next man up was even better. Even more aggressive scheduling may not be enough to close the gap.
I would also add that home field advantage being randomly assigned for two evenly seeded teams is BS. I'm not going to wine about the officiating, but I could. But even of more influence was the field and weather conditions. I believe that the conservative play calling was a consequence of a perception that the passing game would be ineffective when facing the north end of the field. Short passes were necessary to keep the safeties off the LOS and this did not happen, especially on short yardage plays.
I like how you take a shot at NCC being a weak team on ur schedule. I got news for ya bud, NCC beat SK in 11, lost 27-21 in 12, and gave you pretenders all you could handle in a 30-7 loss this season. And NCC was extremely beat up coming into the game this season. Be careful what you wish for, this senior class is gone, u may need to keep the, so called weak teams, on the ur schedule.

When your in a pretty good district, non district doesn't need to be murders row. Playing Dixie, CCHS and Ryle (although Ryle was bad this year) is no easy schedule. The NCC's of the world need the tougher non district games because their district is usually bad. What you wanna do, go play colerain and end up with ur best player (Elliot from Ryle) out for the year? This was a great SK team, in the end, u couldn't win 6A (like I said), you wouldn't win 5A this year and no way would u win it in 4A.

Listen, highlands is always looking for a game.
It would be nice to see the two big bullies from NK play.
E's Army Wrote:It would be nice to see the two big bullies from NK play.

Confusednicker:

Many would say they played in Ft. Thomas last night E. I would tend to agree with them!
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:I like how you take a shot at NCC being a weak team on ur schedule. I got news for ya bud, NCC beat SK in 11, lost 27-21 in 12, and gave you pretenders all you could handle in a 30-7 loss this season. And NCC was extremely beat up coming into the game this season. Be careful what you wish for, this senior class is gone, u may need to keep the, so called weak teams, on the ur schedule.

When your in a pretty good district, non district doesn't need to be murders row. Playing Dixie, CCHS and Ryle (although Ryle was bad this year) is no easy schedule. The NCC's of the world need the tougher non district games because their district is usually bad. What you wanna do, go play colerain and end up with ur best player (Elliot from Ryle) out for the year? This was a great SK team, in the end, u couldn't win 6A (like I said), you wouldn't win 5A this year and no way would u win it in 4A.

Listen, highlands is always looking for a game.

Agreed play Highlands or a good D3 Ohio Scholl
I'm not taking a shot at NCC or HC. I'm just saying those games do not prepare the program for the teams they have to beat in the playoffs. HHS comes at you with waves of small, fast, extremely well conditioned kids. They wear you down with depth. They are a completely different animal from the teams that have multiple state worthy track athletes that have both size and speed, but don't share reps with other players.
What I saw from Butler really impressed me. I would love to hear what they did defensively. I felt their front seven's athleticism would be the difference and their DB's could cover the SK receivers. It's a big play offense that can grind it out!

Congrats to my SK friends, great season!
Tavaughn Morton scored three touchdowns – two receiving and a punt return – to lead host Butler to a 29-14 victory over Simon Kenton in the Class 6-A, Region Two final last night.

It’s the second regional title for the Bears (11-2), who will travel to Meade County next Friday for a berth in the State Final next month in Bowling Green. And it was the result Morton, who finished with three catches for 101 yards, envisioned.

“Man, I had this in my dreams,” said Morton, whose nickname is Sonic after the video game character. “I wanted to do everything I could to win this game for my team.”

He displayed speed that would rival the famous hedgehog on his first two touchdowns.

With Butler trailing 7-0 early in the second quarter, Morton scooped up a rolling punt near midfield. He veered to his right and found a seam along the sideline to go 53 yards for the tying score.

His second score came after the Butler defense stopped the Pioneers (12-1) at the Butler 3 with 3:40 left in the half. Two minutes later, quarterback William Johnson hit a streaking Morton down the sideline for a 78-yard pass.

The defensive back “was playing 15 yards off me,” Morton said. “I was thinking about ‘How do I catch this ball? How do I turn the burners on?’”

Pioneers coach Jeff Marksberry said the potential 14-point swing was the difference in the game.

“We felt like we had to get a touchdown,” said.

Butler coach Gary Wheeler, Jr. agreed.

“That stopped their momentum,” he said. “It changed momentum from their side to our side. The kids fed off that.”

The Pioneers tied the score on their opening drive of the second half, on a 21-yard pass from Brenan Kuntz to Grant Wassom.

But it was all Bears from there on. Morton would add his third score early in the fourth, on a 14-yard post route from Johnson with 8:55 left in the game.

Joe Hines ran 10 times for 103 yards for Butler. He tallied all 55 yards on the Bears’ final scoring drive, which culminated with a 4-yard run with 6:10 remaining. Those yards also came after fellow running back Joe Brown left the game in the fourth quarter.

Hines said the Bears’ rushing attack, which accounted for 235 yards on 44 carries, would get its chance against the Pioneers.

“I knew eventually they were going to break down,” he said. “I took advantage of that opportunity.”

Wheeler said Brown, who ran 21 times for 92 yards had a bruised lower leg and was held out for precautionary reasons.

Simon Kenton 7 0 7 0 - 14
Butler 7 7 0 15 - 29

Simon Kenton – Dillon Powell 12 run (Tyler Smith kick); Butler – Tavaughn Morton 53 punt return (Aaron Miles kick); Butler – Morton 78 pass from William Johnson (Miles kick); Simon
Kenton – Grant Wassom 21 pass from Brenan Kuntz (Smith kick); Butler – Morton 14 pass from Johnson (Miles kick); Butler – Joe Hines 4 run (Roby Newton pass from Austin Turk).

SK B
Total yards 288 361
First downs 16 17
Rushes-yds. 33-171 41-235
Comp-Att-Int 7-20-0 7-9-0
Passing yards 117 136
Fumbles-lost 1-0 2-1
Penalties-yds. 5-25 8-53
Punts-avg. 3-38.3 3-27

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...nton-29-14
Great season Pioneers very proud of SK football.
UK1fan Wrote:Great season Pioneers very proud of SK football.

Good season for SK, I was pulling for them.
Great season, Simon Kenton. Your program is definitely on the right track. I am glad to see a NKY 6A team truly competitive for a change. :Thumbs:
^competitive to what? Once again a NKY team can not get passed a Louisville big school.
Pages: 1 2