Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2013 KHSAA State Volleyball Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The 2013 state tournament kicks off tomorrow morning at Valley High School. All the teams and players should be proud to have made it this far. Should be some good volleyball action. Here are my predictions for the tourney:

1st Round Friday:

Mercy over Wayne County
Oldham over Hazard
Assumption over Apollo
McCracken over Whitley
Logan over Raceland
Henry Clay over Allen Central
Notre Dame over Campbell
Henderson over Green

2nd Round Saturday:

Mercy over Oldham
Assumption over McCracken
Henry Clay over Logan
Notre Dame over Henderson

3rd Round Saturday:

Mercy over Assumption
Notre Dame over Henry Clay

Championship Sunday:

Mercy over Notre Dame (will not be a straight set victory--can see it going 5)
:yawn:Same as last year...
Needs to be made a double elimination tourney.

Good luck to all teams!
Oldham County beats Hazard 3-0.....Oldham will play Mercy tomorrow
UKisN1 Wrote:Needs to be made a double elimination tourney.

Good luck to all teams!

Needs to be set up like soccer..13 14 15 16 rotates as well as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. 9 10 11 12....First round at odd and even sites..Volleyball has been one dementional. It looses it's luster.
A battle of the haves and havenots. It should be classed.

McCracken County defeats Whitley County in 3 sets.
I agree it is the female equivalent to football, so it needs to be classed like football.
You could split into classes but how many? If you went 3 classes like track, you still have private schools that would be classified in each of those groupings. Mercy is in 2A for track. St Henry and New Cath ad Lou Holy Cross are in 1A I believe. If you went with two classes the same would happen.

Do we keep adding classes like football did so that we have six or more state champions? Do we keep going until we are at the point where everyone gets a medal? That devalues the accomplishment.

The issue is that the level of playing ability in KY volleyball is not level. You've got girls who play all year round across the country playing against other girls who only see a volleyball during school season. Splitting into classes won't change that fact. All it will do is increase the number of Lou, NKY or Lex teams that get a trophy. Until the time arrives that other teams out in the state concentrate on volleyball year round, that won't change.
The last eleven state champions are:
Assumption (8)
Mercy (2)
Sacred Heart (1)

What do they have in common? ALL FEMALE, PRIVATE schools in Jefferson County. Could you imagine if St. X, Trinity, and Lex Cath had that kind of run in boys' basketball?

State Runner-up in volleyball over those eleven years:
Notre Dame (3) *All female, private near Covington
Mercy (3) see above
Sacred Heart (3) see above
St. Henry (2) *Male/female, private Erlanger
Greenwood (1) *Public school, 6A 1,700+ students
All the state champions in volleyball have been private.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Needs to be set up like soccer..13 14 15 16 rotates as well as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. 9 10 11 12....First round at odd and even sites..Volleyball has been one dementional. It looses it's luster.

There are a lot of people that wouldn't like that, including me. I really don't like that soccer is set up that way. If you are lucky enough to win the 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th region, all very tough soccer regions, you get to play another top team in the first round of state, while a school from EKY that only has 5 or 6 teams in their region gets to play another team that only has 5 or 6 teams in their region. I don't think teams like Oldham County and Green County would think it is very fair to have to play Mercy or Assumption 2 out of 3 years, while other teams get to play much easier competition.

I don't think that classes are the answer either. A Catholic school is still likely to win every class, and it just makes travel more difficult and waters down the competition.