Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region Alignment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It appears KHSAA will take up 15th region alignment at next meeting. The proposal is to move Piarist to the 59th district and Lawrence County to the 60th district. I think everyone agrees 4 team districts should have never disappeared and are needed. But many are questioning Lawrence County to the 60th district. Lawrence County would be in close vicinity of many schools in the 58th district when traveling to play in the 60th district. Travel from Pike Central, Belfry and Phelps to Lawrence County is of concern to each school based on highway fatalities on US 23 and costs of travel. Contact members of the KHSAA "CONGRESS" if you disagree. http://khsaa.org/2013-2014-khsaa-board-of-control/

Were any other options presented to 15th region schools?
TW Oliver Wrote:It appears KHSAA will take up 15th region alignment at next meeting. The proposal is to move Piarist to the 59th district and Lawrence County to the 60th district. I think everyone agrees 4 team districts should have never disappeared and are needed. But many are questioning Lawrence County to the 60th district. Lawrence County would be in close vicinity of many schools in the 58th district when traveling to play in the 60th district. Travel from Pike Central, Belfry and Phelps to Lawrence County is of concern to each school based on highway fatalities on US 23 and costs of travel. Contact members of the KHSAA "CONGRESS" if you disagree. http://khsaa.org/2013-2014-khsaa-board-of-control/

Thanks for the link. Now that I see who represents each region I understand why the breakup of the 58th district was not on the table. Shame on those involved with this scenario. Not sure it fits the motto "It's All About Kids".
Not that it really effects my Warriors but I am sending emails to the KHSAA. This realignment does not make sense geographically.
TheChief Wrote:Not that it really effects my Warriors but I am sending emails to the KHSAA. This realignment does not make sense geographically.

how can you say it doesn't effect east ridge? it sure does. if lawrence moves to the 60th, there is a good chance they make the region. that adds one more good team to the regional tournament.
Is Lawrence good at basketball?
Real Badman Wrote:Is Lawrence good at basketball?

In my opinion they are the best team in region I can understand why phelps, belfry, and PC don't want them in but what the need to face is whoever they get from the 57th they will be the favorite to win the district but then belfry won't be able to walk into the region like they have the last 30 years
FaYebball Wrote:In my opinion they are the best team in region I can understand why phelps, belfry, and PC don't want them in but what the need to face is whoever they get from the 57th they will be the favorite to win the district but then belfry won't be able to walk into the region like they have the last 30 years

Lawrence County is a team that could possibly win the 15 region for years to come. Just makes no logical sense to move Lawrence to the 60th district. Bypassing the entire 58 district to get to the 60th district is insane.
FaYebball Wrote:In my opinion they are the best team in region I can understand why phelps, belfry, and PC don't want them in but what the need to face is whoever they get from the 57th they will be the favorite to win the district but then belfry won't be able to walk into the region like they have the last 30 years

Sounds like another butt-hurt dawg fan after another beat down by the Pirates on the grid-iron. :Shaking:

I hope for the kids sake they don't get a 6' snow during a game on a school night headin in any direction! If so I'm sure the KHSAA will be fielding some calls.
the only smart thing to do is to keep the districts like they are. lawrence county is where it needs to be. who cares if its a 5 team district wouldnt you rather play in a district with 5 teams then drive at least an hour to play every game

Yep clueless, their "walk" into the region has resulted in 3 championships and 2 runners up trophies and numerous semi-final appearances since 1990. Not bad for a "football" school.
GCK24 Wrote:the only smart thing to do is to keep the districts like they are. lawrence county is where it needs to be. who cares if its a 5 team district wouldnt you rather play in a district with 5 teams then drive at least an hour to play every game

No. Everyone travels that far several times during the course of the season. It's only three district games on the road anyway.
All three-team districts should be eliminated.
HDE Wrote:No. Everyone travels that far several times during the course of the season. It's only three district games on the road anyway.
All three-team districts should be eliminated.

It's time to do away with districts altogether and start the playoffs with a seeded regional tournament. With only 3-5 teams the districts serve no purpose. There was a time when districts had more than 30 teams. Even in the early 60s the 52 district had 10-12 teams.

While I'm on my bandwagon, its time to go back to 4 classes in football. When your only competing against 30-35 other schools what kind of state championship is that? Also, only the district champion and runner-up should make the playoffs. It's silly to go 0-10 or 1-9 and make the playoffs.
bucslover68 Wrote:Yep clueless, their "walk" into the region has resulted in 3 championships and 2 runners up trophies and numerous semi-final appearances since 1990. Not bad for a "football" school.

If I'm not mistaken only 1(a runner-up) of those has happened in the past 15 years.

I can understand why Belfry would be upset, their coaches couldn't hang their hats on region appearances and district titles anymore.
rojas Wrote:It's time to do away with districts altogether and start the playoffs with a seeded regional tournament. With only 3-5 teams the districts serve no purpose. There was a time when districts had more than 30 teams. Even in the early 60s the 52 district had 10-12 teams.

You make that sound like last year Smile
The 52nd District just had five teams though as late as 1981.
I suggested that idea at a sports editors meeting with Julian Tackett 25 years ago. I don't feel as strongly about it as I once did. There is still money to be made during district tournaments, so they will survive a while longer, I think.
Isn't the idea to get the best teams to the Region. So what does it matter that there will be one more tough team annually.

Also, why do away with Districts. The tournaments are exciting and provide a great atmosphere for the kids. In addition, with most regional tournaments moving to neutral sites (which I think is a good thing), it still provides each school an opportunity to host a post season tournament and provides a great experience for the kids.
Send Lawrence to the 64th, Sheldon Clark/Betsy Layne to the 60th or Jenkins/Betsy Layne to the 59th.
This is something I thought of after reading this theard today. The 58th district has 5 teams during basketball season! How about sending Piarist to the 59th and Sheldon Clark to the 60th. Sounds like any easy fix to me for a basketball. The only problem being that the 59th goes back to 3 teams for baseball season. I just don't see any easy fix without bringing in a team from the 14th or sending a team back to the 16th. As always just the opinion of an outsider looking in.
Cougar Connection Wrote:Send Lawrence to the 64th, Sheldon Clark/Betsy Layne to the 60th or Jenkins/Betsy Layne to the 59th.

send Shelby Valley to the 14th....with Jenkins and Letcher. it is actually a shorter trip from shelby valley to jenkins than it is louisa to cannonsburg. just saying, since everyone wants to talk about "travel". :biglmao:
Joneslab Wrote:This is something I thought of after reading this theard today. The 58th district has 5 teams during basketball season! How about sending Piarist to the 59th and Sheldon Clark to the 60th. Sounds like any easy fix to me for a basketball. The only problem being that the 59th goes back to 3 teams for baseball season. I just don't see any easy fix without bringing in a team from the 14th or sending a team back to the 16th. As always just the opinion of an outsider looking in.

how come nobody ever says anything about sending shelby valley to the 14th? it is a much closer trip for shelby valley to jenkins than lawrence to boyd county.
lchsalumnus Wrote:how come nobody ever says anything about sending shelby valley to the 14th? it is a much closer trip for shelby valley to jenkins than lawrence to boyd county.

Something else to factor in is that South Floyd an Allen Central are planning to consolidate in the next few years. Well, I've at least heard that from several people. I'm not in the know like I used to be in Floyd County. That should still be taken into consideration. I do know that some realignment is needed but it needs to be well thought out.
There should be no 3 team districts.
Jenkins to the 59th would make sense to me. Their longest commute would be about 35-40 minutes and they're in a 5 team district right now so it doesn't really affect anything on that end. Sheldon Clark would make more sense to me than Lawrence to the 60th but they are still about an hour and a half from phelps, but any school outside of Pike County is looking at an hour drive if they had to travel there anyways. I really don't think Piarist should be moved simply because I can't see them as being reliable knowing how much they have been in and out of the khsaa.
TW Oliver Wrote:It appears KHSAA will take up 15th region alignment at next meeting. The proposal is to move Piarist to the 59th district and Lawrence County to the 60th district. I think everyone agrees 4 team districts should have never disappeared and are needed. But many are questioning Lawrence County to the 60th district. Lawrence County would be in close vicinity of many schools in the 58th district when traveling to play in the 60th district. Travel from Pike Central, Belfry and Phelps to Lawrence County is of concern to each school based on highway fatalities on US 23 and costs of travel. Contact members of the KHSAA "CONGRESS" if you disagree. http://khsaa.org/2013-2014-khsaa-board-of-control/

I would be willing to bet that Lawrence travels to 1 or more of these schools to play already anyways or the other way around. There are other schools that would make more sense as a district opponent though...
Geographically...bring in Jenkins, split Johnson Cent. and Paintsville to accomodate the schools that are on the outskirts (Phelps, Magoffin Co., Lawrence Co.).

Lawrence Co, S. Clark, Magoffin Co, Johnson Cent
Paintsville, P'burg, Allen Cent, S. Floyd
Phelps, Belfry, E. Ridge, Pike Cent.
P'ville, B. Layne, S. Valley, Jenkins
^Coach Runyon has made this suggestion many times.
OffTheHook Wrote:^Coach Runyon has made this suggestion many times.

I wonder why?...lol
The best way to fix this is to put Lawrence Co. back where they came from. The 16th region.
BUNDY Wrote:The best way to fix this is to put Lawrence Co. back where they came from. The 16th region.

:biglmao: here we go with this hilarious statement again. back where "we belong". i'm no expert on the history of the 15th region, but wasn't lawrence part of the 15th back in the day? Maybe when it was louisa high school or first years of lawrence county? i really don't know, but i've heard some old timers talking about it. and if i'm wrong and lawrence was never in the 15th until a decade ago, putting us in the 16th doesn't fix the problem. you still have 3 team districts that creates problems.

like i've said in previous posts, it is much closer for shelby valley to travel to jenkins than it is for lawrence to travel to Boyd County. why not move them to the 14th?
lchsalumnus Wrote::biglmao: here we go with this hilarious statement again. back where "we belong". i'm no expert on the history of the 15th region, but wasn't lawrence part of the 15th back in the day? Maybe when it was louisa high school or first years of lawrence county? i really don't know, but i've heard some old timers talking about it. and if i'm wrong and lawrence was never in the 15th until a decade ago, putting us in the 16th doesn't fix the problem. you still have 3 team districts that creates problems.

like i've said in previous posts, it is much closer for shelby valley to travel to jenkins than it is for lawrence to travel to Boyd County. why not move them to the 14th?

What is moving Valley to the 14th going to help? Do you mean move Jenkins to the 15th and the 59th district?
Nothing going to be done this year anyway according to the KHSAA meeting. Realignment will begin next basketball season.
Pages: 1 2