Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Eastern Kentucky University 44 Tennessee State University 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Richmond. Great game by the Colonels. The defense jumped on them early and never let up. EKU moves to 6-3 overall, 4-1 in the OVC.
Congrats to Colonels.
RICHMOND, Ky. – Defense and special teams keyed the Eastern Kentucky University football team's 44-0 rout of No. 23 Tennessee State Saturday afternoon at Roy Kidd Stadium.

Eastern Kentucky's defense forced four Tennessee State turnovers which led to 17 points. The Colonels held the Tigers to season lows in both passing yards (101) and total yards (172). This game also marked EKU's first shutout since defeating these same Tigers on Nov. 19, 2005 by a count of 49-0.

The Colonels (6-3, 4-1 OVC) built a 34-0 halftime lead thanks to three Tiger fumbles that led to 14 points, a 30-yard punt return to the TSU seven yard line that set up a touchdown and a defense that limited the visitors to 31 yards of offense on their first seven possessions.

Tennessee State (7-3, 4-2 OVC) crossed midfield only once in the first half, a five-yard run to the EKU 46-yard line that ended with a fumble recovered by the Colonels.

Junior Stanley Absanon set up Eastern's first score with a 30-yard punt return. TSU punted from its own five and the Colonels took over at the seven yard line. After a few penalties forced a 3rd-and-goal at the 16-yard line, junior quarterback Jared McClain found a diving Devin Borders over the middle for a touchdown with 6:58 left in the first quarter.

The Tigers' second fumble of the first quarter came at their own six yard line. Junior defensive back Paul Ritter scooped it up at the seven and went in untouched.

The Colonels put together their first extended drive at the end of the first and beginning of the second quarter to go up 21-0. On 3rd-and-10 from the 26-yard line, McClain hooked up with Borders again, this time down the right sideline, to cap a seven-play, 74-yard drive that chewed up 3:11. McClain moved the ball early in the drive with a 20-yard run up the middle.

Eastern Kentucky added two more touchdowns before the end of the half. McClain tossed a one-yard scoring pass to senior tight Ike Ariguzo and redshirt freshman running back JJ Jude scored from a yard out with 27 seconds remaining before the break.

EKU out-gained Tennessee State in the first half of play, 205-52

The Colonels took their opening drive of the second half and marched 75 yards to pay dirt in seven plays. Redshirt freshman Jared Sanders finished it off with a three-yard touchdown run. The ensuing point-after made it 41-0. Junior kicker Andrew Lloyd rounded out the scoring with a 25-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter.

McClain finished 8-for-14 passing for 129 yards. The junior tossed a career-best three touchdown passes and also led EKU with 73 yards on the ground.

TSU's running back Tim Broughton was held to a season-low 38 rushing yards on 17 carries.

The Colonels will continue their push to stay alive in the FCS playoff hunt with a road game at Jacksonville State next Saturday, Nov. 9. Game time is set for 4 p.m. ET.

http://www.ekusports.com
Huge win for the Colonels. I watched a lot of the game on the internet. IMO this is the best game the Colonels have played since the Jacksonville St game last year.
A very good recruiting day for the Colonels!
Here's my write up for OVCBall.net:

In a game that matched up two of the best defenses in the OVC the Colonels raced out to a 34-0 halftime lead and shut out Tennessee State 44-0. Eastern’s defense held the Tigers to 31 total offensive yards and forced 3 turnovers in a dominant first half.

Tennessee State finished with only 172 total yards and turned the ball over 4 times against a swarming Colonel defense.

After throwing an interception and punting on their first two possessions the Colonels cracked the scoring column on their third drive when Stanley Absanon returned a TSU punt all the way down to the seven yard line. After a holding penalty nullified a J.J. Jude touchdown and a false start backed the Colonels up to the 16 EKU quarterback Jared McClain hit Devin Borders for a sliding 16 yard touchdown to put Eastern up 7-0.

The Tigers turned the ball over on their ensuing possession when Anthony Brown recovered a Tim Broughton fumble at the TSU 31 yard line. However, Tennessee State appeared to dodge a bullet when Wilson Robinson intercepted a McClain pass at the TSU 8 yard line.

It was only a temporary reprieve however. Two TSU runs would lose 2 yards and on third down Colonels defensive back Chris Owens stripped Tigers wide receiver Weldon Garlington after a short completion. EKU defensive back Paul Ritter then scooped up the loose ball and sprint seven yards for a touchdown. Luke Pray added the extra point and the Colonels had a 14-0 lead with 3:45 to go in the first quarter.

Eastern forced a three and out on the Tigers next possession and after a holding penalty on the punt return took over on their own 26 yard line. EKU then marched on a 7 play, 76 yard drive capped by a 26 yard touchdown pass from McClain to Borders to give the Colonels a 21-0 lead.

The onslaught by the Colonels was far from over. EKU scored on each of their next 3 possessions: first on a 1 yard pass from McClain to Ike Ariguzo and then on a 1 yard touchdown run by Jude before halftime to take a 34-0 lead into the locker room.

The Colonels picked up where they left off in the first half when they embarked on a 7 play 75 yard drive out of the break punctuated by a 3 yard touchdown run by Jared Sanders. When the smoke had cleared the Colonels had scored on 5 possessions in a row and 6 out of 7. Andrew Lloyd closed out the scoring for the game when he booted a 25 yard field goal early in the fourth quarter after yet another Tiger fumble.

While the Colonels offense did its part against a highly rated TSU defense with 303 yards and 37 points the EKU performance was keyed by the defense and special teams. In addition to the Absanon punt return that led to the first EKU score punter Jordan Berry helped the Colonels win the field possession battle all day. He punted 5 times for an average of 49.2 yards and landed 4 of them inside of the 20.

Meanwhile a hard-hitting Eastern defense forced 7 Tennessee State fumbles and recovered 4 of them which led to 17 EKU points. They also sacked Tigers quarterback Ronald Butler 4 times and forced another turnover on downs.

Overall, TSU ran 63 plays and only netted 172 yards for an average of 2.7 yards per play. Meanwhile the Colonels netted 305 yards on 65 plays for an average of 4.7 yards per play. McClain ended the game 8-14 passing for 129 yards and 3 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. McClain also led the Colonels in rushing with 74 yards on 8 carries. Borders led Eastern in receiving with 42 yards on 2 catches, both of them for touchdowns.

And the link to the story: EKU 44 TSU 0
And the link to my image gallery on OVCBall.net: EKu-TSU Images

Included on there are some of Kentucky boys JJ Jude running the ball and Paul Ritter scoring his first collegiate touchdown.
A couple of Johnson Central's JJ Jude in action:
A couple of Covington Catholic's Paul Ritter returning a fumble for a touchdown:
A couple of Somerset's Taylor Speaks making a tackle on a punt return:
Nice pics Walt :Thumbs:
EKU has nice jerseys. I like that style
Jarons Wrote:EKU has nice jerseys. I like that style

I agree. They are my favorite EKU jerseys I've ever seen. I do wish they would go back to one of the "EKU" emblems on the helmet though. I'm glad they haven't become an Oregon wanna be that seems to be sweeping the nation or adding black to the color scheme.
Westside Wrote:I agree. They are my favorite EKU jerseys I've ever seen. I do wish they would go back to one of the "EKU" emblems on the helmet though. I'm glad they haven't become an Oregon wanna be that seems to be sweeping the nation or adding black to the color scheme.
I agree about the old "EKU" helmets when we were there. The jerseys look like they have grey numbers though.
Jarons Wrote:I agree about the old "EKU" helmets when we were there. The jerseys look like they have grey numbers though.

The numbers are mostly white. They have some grey shading to make them stand out more but it is just there for that reason. I too liked the EKU on the helmets.
I may be biased were EKU is my favorite team pro or college, but I think they have the best looking uniforms in football. I have an EKU home jersey from a few years back that I won in an auction EKU held. I had four UK game worn jerseys, but I gave them as Christmas gifts a couple years ago during my efforts to rid my house of everything UK.