Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Can anyone beat Highlands this year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there anyone that can keep Highlands from winning another title this year?
No. JC thinks they can, but 3 quarters and a running clock will change that.
Highlands is awfully talented. I watched film on them. They really seem to be diverse in their attack. What is really impressive is when they really get up on someone, they pull out their starters (usually by halftime) LOL......Giving their JV and freshman some good game experience. I coached against Highlands when they had Lorenzen (misspelled prob.) and they really have a top notch program. Been to several clinics that Coach Mueller spoke. Really a top notch coach and staff there. JC talks a lot about a running clock. LOL Might not happen the way they like it if they make it that far. LOL
WideRight05 who do you think would give them a close game from your observation this year?
Elder certainly can. But if you are referring to 4A I will give you a NO. I do believe in the right environment with snow or rain that anything can happen, especially against Johnson Central or Boyle County, but I believe Highlands should win 4A this year. Too much discipline and depth not too be the heavy favorite. But again, anything is possible. :Thumbs:
BoyleCounty Wrote:Elder certainly can. But if you are referring to 4A I will give you a NO. I do believe in the right environment with snow or rain that anything can happen, especially against Johnson Central or Boyle County, but I believe Highlands should win 4A this year. Too much discipline and depth not too be the heavy favorite. But again, anything is possible. :Thumbs:

I was thinking along that same lines. I think Boyle is pretty strong this year too.
BoyleCounty Wrote:Elder certainly can. But if you are referring to 4A I will give you a NO. I do believe in the right environment with snow or rain that anything can happen, especially against Johnson Central or Boyle County, but I believe Highlands should win 4A this year. Too much discipline and depth not too be the heavy favorite. But again, anything is possible. :Thumbs:

On a grass field, the weather would be beneficial. On a turf field....just a little.
I would love to see Johnson central beat Highlands from 64sur :please:
fb fan Wrote:Is there anyone that can keep Highlands from winning another title this year?

Yes , anything is possible.
If it's raining or snowing it will ALWAYS be a factor, whether on grass or turf, the ball still gets wet. I've played on both in the past so I am speaking from experience. With that said, I still believe Highlands takes 4A. I have no reason to say otherwise. I just hope some teams keep it interesting.
In 4A no. I think Boyle might hang for a half, and JC could hang for a half with their long boring offensive game plan. (say what you want, but a wide open offense is so much more fun to watch!). Collins keeps talking about how much they have improved, but no way they have improved enough and Highlands has declined enough to make it a competitive game.
fb fan Wrote:Highlands is awfully talented. I watched film on them. They really seem to be diverse in their attack. What is really impressive is when they really get up on someone, they pull out their starters (usually by halftime) LOL......Giving their JV and freshman some good game experience. I coached against Highlands when they had Lorenzen (misspelled prob.) and they really have a top notch program. Been to several clinics that Coach Mueller spoke. Really a top notch coach and staff there. JC talks a lot about a running clock. LOL Might not happen the way they like it if they make it that far. LOL

Just a wild guess. Also went to school there too, didn't you?
fb fan Wrote:WideRight05 who do you think would give them a close game from your observation this year?

Not Johnson Central or Cov Cath. I say running clock by late 3rd or early 4th quarter.
Well the answer to the thread title is yes, Bowling Green, Trinity, Male, and maybe St. X could all beat highlands.

The answer to the question of the thread is no, noone in 4a is within 3-4 touchdown of Highlands on a good day.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Well the answer to the thread title is yes, Bowling Green, Trinity, Male, and maybe St. X could all beat highlands.

The answer to the question of the thread is no, noone in 4a is within 3-4 touchdown of Highlands on a good day.

They could if Highlands had a bad game, which is unlikely. Highlands could still probably have a bad game and beat Bowling Green. But the others, not likely.
Johnson Central I'm still not sure on. I think they are a very special team. But that will be proven right or wrong the next two weeks. If they are gonna challenge highlands they better win by 30 tomorrow and by atleast 3 scores against belfry.
I am not sure if anyone can handle Highlands this year, but I do know how they could be taken down.

Highlands has had some incrediable athletes in the past, but their bread and butter is making average kids better by making them stronger and fundementally sound. Some years Highlands does not have the most athletic team, but wins with good planning and sound, average kids. If anyone takes Highland down it will be a team who has a group of pure athletes who can just overcome them with talent.

We saw an example of this several years back when Bryan Station was in their district. JC was the district champs and BS played Highlands first. BS was just loaded with natural talent that year and I think it took a hail mary pass to one of the Collinsworth boys to win. BS should have won that game.

I am not sure who will have this talent level, but it will be the way Highlands gets beaten. Just ask John Calipari if talent matters.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Johnson Central I'm still not sure on. I think they are a very special team. But that will be proven right or wrong the next two weeks. If they are gonna challenge highlands they better win by 30 tomorrow and by atleast 3 scores against belfry.

I'd have to agree with that. If JC can't handle Ashland and Belfry on the road, they certainly won't hold much promise at Highlands.

I don't know about 3 scores against Belfry - you ARE talking about the likely 3A champs there on their home field. But they definitely have to WIN that game.
Belfry could play with them
Belfry_ Wrote:Belfry could play with them

Love the enthusiasm. But have you SEEN a Highlands team play in person...?
Diogenes Wrote:Love the enthusiasm. But have you SEEN a Highlands team play in person...?

Some of the Belfry teams could compete with Highlands and some would beat them. Currently, I believe HHS would be a big favorite, but Belfry has won 2/5 all-time against the Birds and that isn't too shabby IMO.
bucslover68 Wrote:Some of the Belfry teams could compete with Highlands and some would beat them. Currently, I believe HHS would be a big favorite, but Belfry has won 2/5 all-time against the Birds and that isn't too shabby IMO.

I've seen grainy videos of games from something like 1979 of Belfry-Highlands, yes. My best friends in college were from Belfry and I got treated to that frequently.

But how many of those games have been since Mueller took over? Highlands is a different animal in the Mueller Era. No disrespect intended toward the Belfry fans or program, both of which I respect greatly.
Diogenes Wrote:I've seen grainy videos of games from something like 1979 of Belfry-Highlands, yes. My best friends in college were from Belfry and I got treated to that frequently.

But how many of those games have been since Mueller took over? Highlands is a different animal in the Mueller Era. No disrespect intended toward the Belfry fans or program, both of which I respect greatly.

I agree, but the only reference we have is when they played. The last two times were in 89 and 90 and Belfry lost in OT in the state semis at Highlands then wore the Birds out in the PCB the next year at Pikeville.
I didn't say beat highlands but I think they would beat us by 2 scores but if both team is on there game and belfry is 100% healthy you never know ? I respect the heck outa highlands you kinda have to lol.
bucslover68 Wrote:I agree, but the only reference we have is when they played. The last two times were in 89 and 90 and Belfry lost in OT in the state semis at Highlands then wore the Birds out in the PCB the next year at Pikeville.

Was the state semifinal a 7-0 game, something very low-scoring like that? I saw that one. They look a little different now, do the Birds...
Diogenes Wrote:Was the state semifinal a 7-0 game, something very low-scoring like that? I saw that one. They look a little different now, do the Birds...

It was 21-14 Birds in OT at Highlands in 1989. Belfry had a really good team and had ended Pikeville's 3 year winning streak earlier in the year at at Belfry. I definitely think the Birds are a different breed and to be honest I wish there was more of a history of BHS and HHS regardless of whether or not Belfry would win. Playing the best makes your team better as well. The only other games in the history have been a Belfry 14-8 win in 79 at HHS in the state semis and two HHS blowout wins in the 60s, 40-0 and 48-7 I believe.
Of course.
WideRight05 Wrote:They could if Highlands had a bad game, which is unlikely. Highlands could still probably have a bad game and beat Bowling Green. But the others, not likely.

Yeah no Trinity and bowling green and male would beat highlands.
Maybe this topic should be "Who can go the furtherest in a game with Highlands before a running clock?"
fb fan Wrote:Highlands is awfully talented. I watched film on them. They really seem to be diverse in their attack. What is really impressive is when they really get up on someone, they pull out their starters (usually by halftime) LOL......Giving their JV and freshman some good game experience. I coached against Highlands when they had Lorenzen (misspelled prob.) and they really have a top notch program. Been to several clinics that Coach Mueller spoke. Really a top notch coach and staff there. JC talks a lot about a running clock. LOL Might not happen the way they like it if they make it that far. LOL
Maybe after watching the Elder tape, you won't feel as strongly!
Pages: 1 2