Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Free Kicks standing as FG records. Agree or disagree?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I am all for scoring points in any way possible. If the circumstances present themselvs and a team can score, by using this ancient method, and the stars line up, the planets align, a free kick could potentially win a ball game. Personally though, I feel the records need to stand in their own category. I kicked some in HS and there is a massive difference in kicking the ball off and kicking with a snap, holder, and pressure. I also got the chance to watch and kick with Aaron Pettery, one of the best kickers/atheletes to come out of EKY and one of the best kickers to ever come out of the state. If all the circumstances were right, he could have set 80 yd records in hs. Ive seen him hit a 65, 70, 72 yd fg in practice. That was with a long snapper, holder, but no defense. The 58 yard record he set against Berea, would have been good from 60 easily. There was a kid from nky a few years back that had a good leg but i cant recall the name. He hit several from 50+ that year. There are many kickers year in and year out with the ability to kick the ball accurately through the uprights on kick offs. Ive seen Pettery do it from the 20. I feel like the free kick should stand on its own, not actually be considered a FG record bc you have to completely different circumstances.
I agree. I don't know why everyone is so upset over mine, yours and many others opinion on this.

Anyone that knows the game can CLEARLY see that there is a huge difference in the type and level of difficulty of these two very different kicks and BOTH are still GREAT accomplishments at those distances for a High Schooler!
You have to agree!! It's the rule! May be a stupid one but it's not the kids fault!! KHSAA has done done it again:disappoint:
If it makes y'all feel better to discount young Mr. Pack's 60 yard field goal, as it is defined in the KHSAA record book and as it has been defined there for many years, then go ahead and look petty. Pack is a sophomore who had already tied Pettrey with a 58-yd. conventional fg. JC is going to win many lopsided games over the next 2+ years. Do any of you really believe that Pack would not have shattered the 58-yard mark if the rule was different?

I know that some coaches would rather throw pass after pass into the endzone, not matter what the score, but I expert that Pack will end his hs career with both the longest conventional fg and the longest free kick fg. So, if your goal is to allow another Matney-coached player yet another state record, then start lobbying the KHSSA for a rule change tomorrow - but nothing is going to prevent Pack from rewriting the record book.
Free kick is not a Field goal.
AGREE!

Tyler Pack from Johnson Central now holds the longest field goal in KHSAA history.... 60 yds.

Get over it.
Haters gonna hate.

But hey, if everybody hates you, it probably means you're winning...
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If it makes y'all feel better to discount young Mr. Pack's 60 yard field goal, as it is defined in the KHSAA record book and as it has been defined there for many years, then go ahead and look petty. Pack is a sophomore who had already tied Pettrey with a 58-yd. conventional fg. JC is going to win many lopsided games over the next 2+ years. Do any of you really believe that Pack would not have shattered the 58-yard mark if the rule was different?

I know that some coaches would rather throw pass after pass into the endzone, not matter what the score, but I expert that Pack will end his hs career with both the longest conventional fg and the longest free kick fg. So, if your goal is to allow another Matney-coached player yet another state record, then start lobbying the KHSSA for a rule change tomorrow - but nothing is going to prevent Pack from rewriting the record book.

Hoot PLEASE show me where anyone is trying to discredit the kid. Please

It IS a State Record - agreed
It IS a FG - agreed
It IS a GREAT accomplishment - agreed
The kid is a GREAT kicker with a VERY bright future - agreed

So what is so wrong with discussing the two different types of kicks?
OffTheHook Wrote:I agree. I don't know why everyone is so upset over mine, yours and many others opinion on this.

Anyone that knows the game can CLEARLY see that there is a huge difference in the type and level of difficulty of these two very different kicks and BOTH are still GREAT accomplishments at those distances for a High Schooler!

Me and Hook have had our disagreements in the past, but I agree with him and Bronson on this one. The kicks are clearly different. To me it is kind of like saying a shot made from the free throw line while being guarded during a basketball game is the same as an actual free throw shot. They are different. With that being said the kick was amazing either way.
OffTheHook Wrote:Hoot PLEASE show me where anyone is trying to discredit the kid. Please

It IS a State Record - agreed
It IS a FG - agreed
It IS a GREAT accomplishment - agreed
The kid is a GREAT kicker with a VERY bright future - agreed

So what is so wrong with discussing the two different types of kicks?
Pack set the record under existing rules. It would be wrong to change the rules retroactively after the record was broken. If there was a problem with the definition of a field goal, then the time to change it was sometime before the 58 yard record was broken, not afterwards. Now, bringing up the issue looks petty.
Two records would be fine with me one free and one under fire.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Pack set the record under existing rules. It would be wrong to change the rules retroactively after the record was broken. If there was a problem with the definition of a field goal, then the time to change it was sometime before the 58 yard record was broken, not afterwards. Now, bringing up the issue looks petty.

Everything you just said I agree with.

Who's saying change it?

So what if they change it. Then he has TWO State Records. Has anyone ever considered that? That's even better.
Those that can't...... HATE!
If it went thru the uprights it counts as a record. A 60 yarder is an incredible feat for a pro. It's unbelievable that a high school student can do that. Unlimited potential
OffTheHook Wrote:Everything you just said I agree with.

Who's saying change it?

So what if they change it. Then he has TWO State Records. Has anyone ever considered that? That's even better.
Yes. I did. Post #4 above.
^Yes you did.
I hope Pack kicks a 65 yd. field goal at Putnam Stadium......
And I hope it hits D.M. right in his headset.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Those that can't...... HATE!

I couldn't free kick it off a tee. BUT, when I played I could punt one through the uprights from the 50. Actually had a 72 yard punt against Cumberland my Senior year. Which would have been a State Record at that time. But, Coach Wells never turned our stats in. Would have been broken the next year though by a kid from Paris. So it didn't matter...LOL.
A kick is a kick an he made it and that makes it a Record. If a qb throw a 5yd pass an it goes for 85 yds he get credit for 85yd IT's A RECORD :1:
dns Wrote:You have to agree!! It's the rule! May be a stupid one but it's not the kids fault!! KHSAA has done done it again:disappoint:

I would think this would be a national federation rule.
The topic it's self is a put down. This topic should be taken down and Scotty Bronson and OffTheHook you should be a shame of yourself. Classless
^It's NOT a put down.

I'm not ashamed of anything. Heaven forbid someone have a different opinion or view something differently.
I agree. :Thumbs:
Congratulations on the kick to the young man, however it is much different when you are under duress. It is a record, and I think he will break it in the playoffs against Highlands and win the state championship! Good luck!
OffTheHook Wrote:^It's NOT a put down.

I'm not ashamed of anything. Heaven forbid someone have a different opinion or view something differently.

Not a differance of opinion it the classless passive aggressive attacks on a 15 year old student. Just because you are a hater. You can keep running your mouth but the facts are the facts. You the one trying to confuse the facts. The kid kicked a 60 yard goal. PERIOD
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If it makes y'all feel better to discount young Mr. Pack's 60 yard field goal, as it is defined in the KHSAA record book and as it has been defined there for many years, then go ahead and look petty. Pack is a sophomore who had already tied Pettrey with a 58-yd. conventional fg. JC is going to win many lopsided games over the next 2+ years. Do any of you really believe that Pack would not have shattered the 58-yard mark if the rule was different?

Never said what he dis wasnt impressive. Whats even more impressive is all the events that have to lead up to the situation. It takes skill to simply kick a ball 60+ yards, not to mention kicking it in just the right spot. I never said i thought the kid couldnt do it in a traditional kicking situation. All i said was free kick vs standard kick records should be put in different categories. I never took anything away from the kid. He is a sophomore and will more than likely break his own record a couple if not several times. I just hope its in a regular field goal situation.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Never said what he dis wasnt impressive. Whats even more impressive is all the events that have to lead up to the situation. It takes skill to simply kick a ball 60+ yards, not to mention kicking it in just the right spot. I never said i thought the kid couldnt do it in a traditional kicking situation. All i said was free kick vs standard kick records should be put in different categories. I never took anything away from the kid. He is a sophomore and will more than likely break his own record a couple if not several times. I just hope its in a regular field goal situation.

But you are taking away. PERIOD
Eagle84 Wrote:The topic it's self is a put down. This topic should be taken down and Scotty Bronson and OffTheHook you should be a shame of yourself. Classless

Classless? I never put anyone down, never discredited the kid for his accomplishments. All i said was facts. I am not the one calling people classless, or haters, or being argumenative. These threads are for us "has beens" to live vicariously through the "new kids in town" at our alma maters. If i have affended anyone it was not m intent. Just starting a discussion. To call me classless is a bit uncalled for. I have two cousins that play for JC and my whole family is from Van Lear or Prestonsburg. I have never done anything but support jC and all they have accomplished.
Eagle84 Wrote:But you are taking away. PERIOD

Not taking away its impressive and is a record. But it is in fact called a FREE KICK. For a reason.
:haters:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5