Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence Co
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lawrence County moves to the 60th District.Effective for the 2013-2014 seasons.
If this is true, is also in baseball?
OffTheHook Wrote:If this is true, is also in baseball?
Yeah it is Hook.Decision was made yesterday.It goes into effect now.Basketball,baseball and softball.Now only one three team district in Pike county.
Seems like Sheldon Clark would have been a more logical choice though, due to location.
OffTheHook Wrote:Seems like Sheldon Clark would have been a more logical choice though, due to location.
We are talking about the KHSAA.They are doing some crazy things these days.
Who is in the 60th district?
Pike Central, Belfry, Phelps and now Lawrence. While Sheldon Clark was most logical choice I was told Lawrence was last in so first out. Actually good for Lawrence and all teams in 57th, Lawrence has easy path to region and makes things interesting in 57th for the 2/3 spot.
Good for 57th BAD for rest...LOL!
Is this for sure? When will this take place? Starting with this year or next?
RIPKIN Wrote:Lawrence County moves to the 60th District.Effective for the 2013-2014 seasons.

How could it start this year? All schedules have been made and most are full. Lawrence Co. would have to find dates to add 6 seeding games with pike co. teams and pike teams would have to make room to play lawrence twice each. The 57th teams that already have lawrence twice would probably have to drop them so lawrence could have schedule space. therefore 57th teams would be 2 games short on their schedules also. Will be a scheduling nightmare!!!!
I heard it was this year and they had been told to go ahead and reschedule and cancel games if necessary. They already have Pike Central and Belfry on schedule for one game each so would have to add 4 games. This all could blow up I suppose but definitely in works at this point.
As has been clearly discussed on here Lawrence will have very good team, i don't see any 57th team objecting too rescheduling or canceling if need be to accommodate this move.
Basketball Guru Wrote:How could it start this year? All schedules have been made and most are full. Lawrence Co. would have to find dates to add 6 seeding games with pike co. teams and pike teams would have to make room to play lawrence twice each. The 57th teams that already have lawrence twice would probably have to drop them so lawrence could have schedule space. therefore 57th teams would be 2 games short on their schedules also. Will be a scheduling nightmare!!!!

scheduling won't be a nightmare. pretty sure lawrence plays belfry or pike central, or both, already in boys and girls basketball and baseball. the only one they will have to add is phelps, and maybe a 2nd game against one or the other. i think the 57th teams will drop one of the proposed 2 games against lawrence to allow this to happen.

i disagree with the one poster saying this will be an "easy" trip to the region. you still have to play the game. upsets happen. lawrence should be the most talented boys basketball team in this district now, but they have to back it up on the court. foul trouble, injuries, etc. could hurt.

as for baseball, i think this could create a very nice rivalry between lawrence and belfry. those two have always played and they usually are good games.
If this is true, lawsuit in bound.

No way KHSAA can justify making kids travel 2 hours and pass 4-5 other schools to play seeded district games.

If Belfry/Pike Central go 119 to 23 to get to LC they could make shorter trips to - Betsy Layne, Allen Central, P-burg, Paintsville, Sheldon Clark, South Floyd and Johnson Central.

If they go through WV they pass Sheldon Clark.

Let us not even get into the other world that is Phelps. It is showing 2 hours on Google Maps in a car?
region Wrote:If this is true, lawsuit in bound.

No way KHSAA can justify making kids travel 2 hours and pass 4-5 other schools to play seeded district games.

If Belfry/Pike Central go 119 to 23 to get to LC they could make shorter trips to - Betsy Layne, Allen Central, P-burg, Paintsville, Sheldon Clark, South Floyd and Johnson Central.

If they go through WV they pass Sheldon Clark.

Let us not even get into the other world that is Phelps. It is showing 2 hours on Google Maps in a car?

lawsuit? seriously? phelps doesn't have a baseball field, thus they travel for every game. as for basketball, does phelps not play anyone further than lawrence? phelps plays AT Letcher Central and AT Raceland. Pretty sure that is a further trip than to louisa, ky. They will have to make ONE trip a year to louisa in each sport.

now, lawrence has always played belfry and pike central in baseball. they always travel to play each other. why is this different? they've ALWAYS done it?
I would bet Phelps is getting paid for both as it looks like they played Letcher Co. last year too.

People will travel 2 hours for a chance to play a competitive game or they get paid. They don't travel 2-2.5 hours for seeded games.
region Wrote:I would bet Phelps is getting paid for both as it looks like they played Letcher Co. last year too.

People will travel 2 hours for a chance to play a competitive game or they get paid. They don't travel 2-2.5 hours for seeded games.

traveling US 52, it would be 70 miles and 1 hour 44 minutes. now on a bus, probably add 20 minutes so i will give you the 2 hours. if it is done on a friday night, what's the problem? it is ONE game per year for boys, and ONE game per year for girls.
Might tack on another 20-25 minutes behind a loaded coal truck, Hoss! That is if they are still mining by Nov.
lchsalumnus Wrote:traveling US 52, it would be 70 miles and 1 hour 44 minutes. now on a bus, probably add 20 minutes so i will give you the 2 hours. if it is done on a friday night, what's the problem? it is ONE game per year for boys, and ONE game per year for girls.

I'll say this as a disclaimer - I do not have a child or family member involved BUT -

If I am a Belfry, Pike Central, or Phelps coach, parent, or have anyone at all on a bus that gets into a wreck or even has a flat tire on US 52 in West Virginia, I am suing the KHSAA and the school board the bus belongs to.

Floyd County did not want split up and that is the reason this is even an issue, they have the power right now with Mr. Henry Webb on the BOC. He would be in the lawsuit too.

We have schools drop and raise classes in football because of travel but yet schools in basketball are passing schools up to play seeded games?
region Wrote:I'll say this as a disclaimer - I do not have a child or family member involved BUT -

If I am a Belfry, Pike Central, or Phelps coach, parent, or have anyone at all on a bus that gets into a wreck or even has a flat tire on US 52 in West Virginia, I am suing the KHSAA and the school board the bus belongs to.

Floyd County did not want split up and that is the reason this is even an issue, they have the power right now with Mr. Henry Webb on the BOC. He would be in the lawsuit too.

We have schools drop and raise classes in football because of travel but yet schools in basketball are passing schools up to play seeded games?

so, what you are really saying is this...

....you would file a lawsuit if there were an accident coming to louisa for a district seeded game....but if your team is getting PAID to travel to Raceland or Letcher then it is ok....

sound about right? :Thumbs: because you made the statement that travel is "ok" as long as phelps is getting paid for it.

and belfry makes the trip to louisa for baseball EVERY YEAR. they also make the trip for football every other year. pike central, too.
I think the real question is.. Is it official that LC has moved into the 60th region? I need to see some proof before I will ever believe this.
lchsalumnus Wrote:so, what you are really saying is this...

....you would file a lawsuit if there were an accident coming to louisa for a district seeded game....but if your team is getting PAID to travel to Raceland or Letcher then it is ok....

sound about right? :Thumbs: because you made the statement that travel is "ok" as long as phelps is getting paid for it.

and belfry makes the trip to louisa for baseball EVERY YEAR. they also make the trip for football every other year. pike central, too.

I didn't say it was "ok", I said "bet" they are getting paid.

I don't give 2 craps what Phelps, Belfry, or Pike Central does or does not do concerning this. Even if they are getting paid it is a dumb trip.

I said - "If I am a Belfry, Pike Central, or Phelps coach, parent, or have anyone at all on a bus that gets into a wreck or even has a flat tire on US 52 in West Virginia, I am suing the KHSAA and the school board the bus belongs to."

See the bold? Reading, it is fundamental.

The trips some of these coaches choose to make is all on them, some are dumb, stupid, and unnecessary trips. KHSAA shouldn't mandate them.

The districts should be like this -

57th -
Lawrence
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Sheldon Clark

58th -
Magoffin
Prestonsburg
Piarist
Allen Central

59th
South Floyd
Shelby Valley
East Ridge
Betsy Layne

60th
Pikeville
Belfry
Pike Central
Phelps

Something like that? Most could live with.
DawgFather1 Wrote:I think the real question is.. Is it official that LC has moved into the 60th region? I need to see some proof before I will ever believe this.

From what I was told today, it will be official at the next KHSAA meeting. The new alignment will start with basketball this year. And Piarist moves to the 59th district.

Not a fan of Henry Webb at the moment. He sold out to keep the Floyd County Schools in the same district. Doubt Webb will carry any votes in Pike County if he runs again for the KHSAA.
PantherTradition Wrote:From what I was told today, it will be official at the next KHSAA meeting. The new alignment will start with basketball this year. And Piarist moves to the 59th district.

Not a fan of Henry Webb at the moment. He sold out to keep the Floyd County Schools in the same district. Doubt Webb will carry any votes in Pike County if he runs again for the KHSAA.

what else could have been done? keep the status quo? keep a 5 team district while 2 others have three teams? the best fit would have been magoffin to the the floyd county district, but didn't happen. at least now the region is more even.
lchsalumnus Wrote:what else could have been done? keep the status quo? keep a 5 team district while 2 others have three teams? the best fit would have been magoffin to the the floyd county district, but didn't happen. at least now the region is more even.

I'm all for 4 team districts but I feel Magoffin to the 58th, Betsy Layne to 59th and Piarist to the 60th would have been better.
I know some Peeps in JC or from Johnson Central is hoping so.
I feel for Lawrence a little, especially Coach Cook. He seems to be a well liked guy and that team is talented.

Has any word came on where they will be?
region Wrote:I feel for Lawrence a little, especially Coach Cook. He seems to be a well liked guy and that team is talented.

Has any word came on where they will be?

I agree with this statement... if LC is indeed in the 60th they are going to be in for a long year as is Coach Cook, for none of which they had any control of really.
How is being in the 60th going to make it for a long year for Lawrence County? They will be the best team in that district, and still the #2 team in the region lol.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:How is being in the 60th going to make it for a long year for Lawrence County? They will be the best team in that district, and still the #2 team in the region lol.

I think he was referring to the drive.

I will add that Pike Central is a lot better than people, even the coaches, are giving them credit for. They also have a 6'8" kid that is somewhat athletic, something LC will have problems guarding.

Belfry is a good coach and few years away from being back to what they once were(maybe Coach Mark Thompson is that guy, maybe he isn't) because that school is loaded with athletes.

Phelps was competitive at one time but that shipped has sailed, to small for homegrown kids(most leave and go to Pikeville, Belfry, or Pike Central if they can play a lick at anything) and to isolated to get transfers.

Pike Central vs. Lawrence will be a battle the next 2 years.
Pages: 1 2