Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Haywood Wins!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Coach Phillip Haywood wins the USA Today vote as Kentucky's best coach.
I toyed around with the numbers last night and it appeared as though Haywood's vote total was higher (and substantially higher at that) than every other state but California and Michigan.

On to the regional vote..Pond Creek Nation brought it
Congrats to Coach Haywood
Congrats Coach Haywood
McGlone gave him a run for it. Nobody else was even close.
FBALL Wrote:McGlone gave him a run for it. Nobody else was even close.

Russell fans did a great job...would have won in almost every other state
Congrats.

Ky - Highest winning vote (149,760)
Michigan - 140,936 (very close - won by 152 votes)
Maine - 114,773 (also close - won by 382 votes)

California, Louisiana, and Pennsylvania 84,000+

North Dakota - lowest winning total - 1,349
I want to give props to Russell fans. Showed much deserved love to legendary coach Ivan McGlone.

To coach McGlone: I voted for you a couple times out of respect. Coach till ya can't coach!
BackShoulderThrow Wrote:Congrats Coach Haywood

My sentiments exactly!
Give us another year and maybe we can get Hatwood and McGlone to hook up on the field again.
Coach Haywood is very deserving of the honor.

I'm sure the Russell fans will have his back in the regional vote.
Congrats very deserving of it
At 1am I voted for McGlone and played around with the numbers. Ivan was receiving approx 160 votes per 10 minutes while coach Haywood was receiving over 600. This was at 1am!!! Amazing and congrats to a well deserving coach.
regional voting starts tomorrow at noon. Would love to see Coach Haywood march right through this thing.
Are you serious??? He's a good coach but he's nowhere near Beatty, Mueller, or Ty Scroggins.
^^^You cant make us believe that.
WideRight05 Wrote:Are you serious??? He's a good coach but he's nowhere near Beatty, Mueller, or Ty Scroggins.

Uh this shows how ignorant you are....Winnings coach in the state....and does it year after year without the talent that comes through private and independent schools like Trinity and Highlands...
WideRight05 Wrote:Are you serious??? He's a good coach but he's nowhere near Beatty, Mueller, or Ty Scroggins.
Your crazy those coachs r good but they have a lot more kids to pick from . Would love to see one of them win with a mountain team that usley only has about 40 kids to pick from. Have to add mueller is a great coach and classy guy but hit is harder to win with a mountain team : and Ty last trip to the mountains didn't turn out very good jc smacked them around pretty good .
Isn't Belfry an independent school?
FBALL Wrote:Isn't Belfry an independent school?
No.
FBALL Wrote:Isn't Belfry an independent school?
Pikeville is the independent in Pike County and Belfry is part of the Pike County School System.

:dudecomeon: you got to be kidding me!!!
Congrats coach Haywood!!!
Congrats to Coach Haywood.
007Pirate Wrote:^^^You cant make us believe that.

Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Uh this shows how ignorant you are....Winnings coach in the state....and does it year after year without the talent that comes through private and independent schools like Trinity and Highlands...

eagles2011 Wrote:Your crazy those coachs r good but they have a lot more kids to pick from . Would love to see one of them win with a mountain team that usley only has about 40 kids to pick from. Have to add mueller is a great coach and classy guy but hit is harder to win with a mountain team : and Ty last trip to the mountains didn't turn out very good jc smacked them around pretty good .

panther nation Wrote::dudecomeon: you got to be kidding me!!!

The facts are the facts, and they sure hurt don't they? Don't use the whole "he has fewer kids to pick from" argument. Highlands is technically a 3A school playing up. They have won triple the titles Haywood has over the course of the past six years alone. Belfry should have 2-3 wins over Central in the title game over the course of the past five years, and should have never lost to Breathitt in the semis recently. But they found a way to squander their chances. Trinity is big, but they take on national powerhouses (and win regularly against them) and still has difficult competition against the likes of St. X and usually a school such as Scott County, Male, or Simon Kenton that have a strong team from time to time.

Put succinctly, just because someone can win regular season football games and can win a popularity contest doesn't mean they are the best coach in the state. I like Haywood, but to say that he's on the level of Scroggins, Mueller, and Beatty is looking at it with red blinders.
WideRight05 Wrote:The facts are the facts, and they sure hurt don't they? Don't use the whole "he has fewer kids to pick from" argument. Highlands is technically a 3A school playing up. They have won triple the titles Haywood has over the course of the past six years alone. Belfry should have 2-3 wins over Central in the title game over the course of the past five years, and should have never lost to Breathitt in the semis recently. But they found a way to squander their chances. Trinity is big, but they take on national powerhouses (and win regularly against them) and still has difficult competition against the likes of St. X and usually a school such as Scott County, Male, or Simon Kenton that have a strong team from time to time.

Put succinctly, just because someone can win regular season football games and can win a popularity contest doesn't mean they are the best coach in the state. I like Haywood, but to say that he's on the level of Scroggins, Mueller, and Beatty is looking at it with red blinders.

History of trolling aside I understand all your arguments and actually agree with the point that Mueller and Beatty are the standard in KY when it comes to Championships won.

The fatal flaw in your argument thought is you are painfully mistaking the difference between enrollment and talent pool.
Congratulations!! Well deserved!! I couldn't complain if any one of the respected coaches
in Kentucky had won... Kentucky has some of the best Coaches in the country, period!
One can argue back and forth about who the better coach is, but this award was voted by the fans. It just shows how much this eastern part of the states love their coaches and their football. Russell's coach may have came in second but I'm sure word has carried back to him the amount of votes he received. I'm sure he was touched. The same can be said for coach Haywood.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:History of trolling aside I understand all your arguments and actually agree with the point that Mueller and Beatty are the standard in KY when it comes to Championships won.

The fatal flaw in your argument thought is you are painfully mistaking the difference between enrollment and talent pool.

There hasn't been any trolling in this thread. Everything I say is fact. Some people, especially Belfry fans, don't handle facts too well. Belfry fans act like they don't have a talent pool to pick from. They have talent. What they haven't been able to do is cash in on that talent.Take 2007 and 2008 for example. Belfry steamrolls their competition in 2007, playing an easy schedule but proves themselves by beating a rock solid Johnson Central team (led by Shawn Grimm) 28-12. They cruise through the playoffs and go into the finals as heavy favorites against Central, only to lose 27-17 with several turnovers, mostly unforced. Then in 2008, Belfry has a very good year, beating a Johnson Central team 21-13 that IMO was the best of the Matney era, a JC team that gave arguably the best Highlands team of the past six years all they wanted in the regional final. That Belfry team comes in as a huge favorite against Breathitt in the semi-final, but fumbles and bumbles their way to a 14-12 loss.

Talent goes up and down everywhere, but it is a good feeder system that will keep your program at the top on a consistent basis. I will give Belfry the benefit of the doubt and say that their feeder system is solid. I'm not even saying Haywood isn't a good coach - he's a very good coach. But the best in the state is stretching it. The bottom line is, Belfry has pulled two championships out of that feeder system and they have had teams that lost in the title game or the semis in games they should have won with ease. Any big-time coach in this state would have cashed in on those opportunities.