Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Southern Middle Warriors win 6th Grade Queen of the Mountains
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Southern Middle Lady Warriors captured the 2013 BCI Queen of the Mountains 6th grade crown on Saturday at the Knott County Sportsplex. They defeated the East Perry Lady Miners by a score of 47-21 and the Pikeville Lady Panthers by a score of 35-15 in pool play. Their third pool game did not happen as the scheduled team did not attend the tourney. The Lady Warriors picked up an extra game and defeated a good Mullins Tigers 7th grade team bya score of 43-35. This set up the championship game against the Dorton Lady Cats who had also went 3-0 in pool play.
The Lady Warriors defeated Dorton 59-23 playing their best game of the day in capturing the title.
Great job girls!!
Way to go, I'd be so proud if my supposed to be 7th and 8th graders beat a bunch of 5th and 6th graders.
Haha
FrozenColonel Wrote:Way to go, I'd be so proud if my supposed to be 7th and 8th graders beat a bunch of 5th and 6th graders.

Do you care to explain just what you are talking about by your above comment or are you just a troll trying to stir the pot?
Yes, I am proud of our 6th graders for playing very well at the tournament. I assume your comment is referring to "holdbacks". Our team has 11 girls on it. Two of them have been held back. Most of the rest have been in the same class together since kindergarten. One of the two did not score in the championship game and saw limited minutes due to some early foul trouble. I am not going to speak for the other teams at the Sportsplex tournament, but I would guess if you polled every coach there, that "most" teams have at least one or two girls in the same category. In our area, one of the teams we play have 4 of 5 starters who have been held back, but I would not blame it on that if they were to beat us.

A little history about our team. Most of our girls have been playing together since 3rd grade and some since 1st grade. In 3rd grade we had a parent, who is also a very good coach, who saw the potential of what these girls could do and decided to start playing them in AAU and similar tournaments. They are in the gym 2-3 times a week from July through March and then take a few months off. What they have achieved in the last few years is through hard work and the ability to play together as a team as opposed to some "unfair advantage" as your post implies.

Your comment and the attitude displayed in it speak to one of the major things wrong in youth sports today. If someone beats your team, they must have cheated or had an unfair advantage, or the referees or umpires must have it in for you, or have friends on the other team. Consequently, sometime children don't know how to lose a game they played well in, take that as motivation to get in the gym and work to improve, and give it another try the next time you play that particular team. It is easier to blame something or someone else.

We did not see your poor attitude from the Dorton players or coach. They kept working in the game and displayed class and sportsmanship. We had a very good game and, for that hour on that Saturday, were the better team. It may not be that way the next time we meet. I know Dorton had several girls playing two divisions and had to play back to back with their last 6th grade pool game. As I said, the next time may be different. That is why we play the game.

But you should think before you post comments where you do not have all the facts and are directing them at 11 and 12 year old girls.
I saw your 6th grade team play a few times this year and they are something to be proud of. They play well together as a team.
Frozencolonial,
Get used to Losing. World aint gonna stop because Southern is playing Holdbacks. Either step up or get out. Good job Southern.
A lot of holdbacks in sports. No rule against it.
You all are right, there was not a rule against hold backs. Until now. But you can still do it before 5th grade right, not 100% sure. But anyway I'm not saying they are not any good if they played older girls bc they are. Didn't thy beat the 7th/8th grade team from Mullins. All I am saying is that if I were a holdback and knew I was playing against a team where the best players were2-3 years younger, I would not feel like I accomplished anything worth while. However, if these girls stay together their high school team will be ridiculously good. In high school about all girls are grown as much as they're going to, so winning in hs against younger girls wouldn't be redundant. Good luck and God bless.