Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Sheldon Clark @ Lawrence County 10/4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who do you got and whay???

This game worries me for a few reasons.
#1 This is a big rivalry and both teams play this game like its everything every year so you can probably throw the records out.
#2 The Dawgs are coming off a big emotional win and could come out very flat.
#3 Sheldon Clark is down in talent and numbers and are having a very bad year but the kids know this and see this stuff also and they could come into this thing thinking they don't need to do anything.

With all that said this game is at home for us and I think even if we come out flat and don't take em seriously then we should still win this game pretty easily but you never know what team is going to show up in high school ball sometimes. I like the Dawgs 42-14. I think we will get a running clock by maybe the middle of the 3rd quarter and then we will put some young kids in and SC will score a few at that point.
I never put much stock in comparing common opponents but I do want to see how we fare against SC compared to Belfry. From what I've been told, Belfry rested a few starters who were a little dinged up and were in cruise mode and had 0 problems with the Card's.
Sheldon Clark is in for another long night. The Cards haven't looked like this in along time.
LC early and often.
Stray what did you think about the game Friday?
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Stray what did you think about the game Friday?

I have some family in Inez and have talked to them a few times about this game. They arent really excited for it, team moral is down for SC and they simply dont have the bodies this year to compete for a full game. It may be close in the first quarter but LC is too much this year for the Cards. Give Coach Hagar time and SC will be a solid club before too long.

LC 56
SC 12
Can this Bulldogs team compete with Belfry?
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Stray what did you think about the game Friday?

lcgrad2002 Wrote:Can this Bulldogs team compete with Belfry?

Not real sure..I havent seen Belfry play but if they were going to play the Pirates I would hope they would have done it earlier in the year rather than later. Belfry is 2 TD's better right now and thats just under the assumption that Belfry is still playing like a Belfry team does later in the year.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Who do you got and whay???

This game worries me for a few reasons.
#1 This is a big rivalry and both teams play this game like its everything every year so you can probably throw the records out.

I disagree. I know they're just stats but most of the time a team's W/L record will at least steer you in a direction.

#2 The Dawgs are coming off a big emotional win and could come out very flat.

I think just the opposite is true.

#3 Sheldon Clark is down in talent and numbers and are having a very bad year but the kids know this and see this stuff also and they could come into this thing thinking they don't need to do anything.

This could be a factor, but I don't think it will impact the game very much at all.

With all that said this game is at home for us and I think even if we come out flat and don't take em seriously then we should still win this game pretty easily but you never know what team is going to show up in high school ball sometimes. I like the Dawgs 42-14. I think we will get a running clock by maybe the middle of the 3rd quarter and then we will put some young kids in and SC will score a few at that point.

I feel for SC, and any school that's trying to rebuild a program for one reason or another.
However, Lawrence Co will have a running clock by half time, IMO.

Uuummm... No. This is a better LC team than many give credit but Belfry is very, very good. Should have little problem with SC this year. But Belfry pretty much names the score against LC, too.
LC by 24. They showed they can play last week beating a very good Raceland team.
I have as much respect as anyone for the Belfry program, but I think a lot of people are jumping on the wagon way to quick. When Belfry did what they did to Harlan County I was thinking that it would be another long year for the dawgs against Belfry, but that was when people were thinking that HC was a contender to go to Bowling Green in 5a. Belfry was far from dominating Harlan County, but I will tell you a team who did dominate Harlan and that was Johnson Central. I was at the JC and HC game and the Harlan County team I saw on the field that night I believe Lawrence could beat, not as easily as Johnson Central but we would win IMO. Who has Belfry played this year.They play a Somerset team who was struggling pretty bad at the time with a lot of injuries and that game was no blowout. After beating Harlan County they go to Southwestern who is struggling and barely escape and I think Southwestern and Harlan County at this point are in about the same boat. They play Pikeville who has a pretty good offense, but I think my granny could score on that defense and I have 0 doubt in my mind that we are better then Pikeville because I think Fairview and Raceland are better then Pikeville. Then they play Sheldon Clark who is just flat out bad this year and that is as nice as I can put it. The only team they played this year who is above 500 is Pikeville. I don't know anything about the Ohio and Tennessee teams they play the next few weeks, but if either one is any good then we will have a better idea of what Belfry has, but not one person on BGR can look me in the eye and say that Belfry has played a team this year who can test em and that includes Belfry fans. This Belfry team has a lot of youth on it and my gut tells me that Belfry is probably a few scores better then us this year, but in no way do I think they can name the score or get a running clock.
Granny Bear Wrote:I feel for SC, and any school that's trying to rebuild a program for one reason or another.
However, Lawrence Co will have a running clock by half time, IMO.

Granny I don't worry about any of those things by itself but when you put em all together it can be bad.
I am starting to get a feeling we see a 7-1 Lawrence County vs. a 7-0 Belfry for the District Title on Oct. 18th
No need to worry about the SC game it is a big mismatch. Belfry on the other hand is another story. If the Pirates are healthy after these next two weeks, against much better competition, then it will be a great matchup between Belfry and LC. I predict Belfry by 3 TDs plus and then a return trip by LC to Cam for the regional championship. LC is clearly the number two in the district, but they cannot sleep on Pike Central. Good to see the LC program getting back on track.
BTW, I wouldn't put much stock in the HC/Belfry resulty compared to JC. HC was on a huge high and hadn't realized all their problems yet. Belfry faced a lot of adversity on the road and overcame it and totally dominated the second half and Belfry did not have the benefit of four turnovers in one quarter that JC capitilized on in their matchup. Turnovers are part of any game potentially, but they can also lead to a "fools gold" mindset when looking at how teams potentially matchup with one another.
bucslover68 Wrote:BTW, I wouldn't put much stock in the HC/Belfry resulty compared to JC. Turnovers are part of any game potentially, but they can also lead to a "fools gold" mindset when looking at how teams potentially matchup with one another.

Did HC not fumble away two drives going in to score against the Pirates? I guess you can say the same oven mitt fits both hands when you apply your ideology when comparing Belfry's and JC's game against Harlan Co. Both teams benefitted greatly from the black bear's turnovers. JC a little more so than Belfry, but JC also had a running clock against them in 12 minutes and change. At this point I do think Belfry is better than JC but not by more than 10 points.
bucslover68 Wrote:No need to worry about the SC game it is a big mismatch. Belfry on the other hand is another story. If the Pirates are healthy after these next two weeks, against much better competition, then it will be a great matchup between Belfry and LC. I predict Belfry by 3 TDs plus and then a return trip by LC to Cam for the regional championship. LC is clearly the number two in the district, but they cannot sleep on Pike Central. Good to see the LC program getting back on track.

I agree with this, but Pike Central beat us last year and I think the kids on this team who played last year want this one because this was one of the games last year that we were competitive but let get out of hand. I have said it since the 2nd half of the Fairview game that this Bulldog team is better then the last two years combined. Last year Raceland beat us just as bad as any team on the schedule with a score of 54-14 and this year Raceland could be just a bit better then last ,yet we beat em so if that ain't a big turnaround then I don't know what is.
bucslover68 Wrote:BTW, I wouldn't put much stock in the HC/Belfry resulty compared to JC. HC was on a huge high and hadn't realized all their problems yet. Belfry faced a lot of adversity on the road and overcame it and totally dominated the second half and Belfry did not have the benefit of four turnovers in one quarter that JC capitilized on in their matchup. Turnovers are part of any game potentially, but they can also lead to a "fools gold" mindset when looking at how teams potentially matchup with one another.

Hey buc, I would love to ask you a question and get an honest answer.
If you would rather not answer out loud then you are welcome to send me a PM. Do you think that this Belfry team this year stacks up, to this point of the season, with the Belfry teams of the last two years who took Central to the wire at state?
Paula Dean Wrote:Did HC not fumble away two drives going in to score against the Pirates? I guess you can say the same oven mitt fits both hands when you apply your ideology when comparing Belfry's and JC's game against Harlan Co. Both teams benefitted greatly from the black bear's turnovers. JC a little more so than Belfry, but JC also had a running clock against them in 12 minutes and change. At this point I do think Belfry is better than JC but not by more than 10 points.

No

HC only had one turnover against Belfry and that was an INT once the game was settled late in the 4th Quarter.

Until that point the only turnover in the game was a Belfry fumble which directly resulted in one of HC's two TD's.
Paula Dean Wrote:Did HC not fumble away two drives going in to score against the Pirates? I guess you can say the same oven mitt fits both hands when you apply your ideology when comparing Belfry's and JC's game against Harlan Co. Both teams benefitted greatly from the black bear's turnovers. JC a little more so than Belfry, but JC also had a running clock against them in 12 minutes and change. At this point I do think Belfry is better than JC but not by more than 10 points.

I just don't know how people can say stuff like this when the team has yet to play a team that can hit em in the mouth and I don't think Johnson Central has played a good team yet either. As bad as some of the mountain teams are down this year I don't think any team will get a big test untill they get in about the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs. Why do I get a funny feeling that both of these teams are in for a shock when they get against a legitimate top 5 team in Kentucky.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I just don't know how people can say stuff like this when the team has yet to play a team that can hit em in the mouth and I don't think Johnson Central has played a good team yet either. As bad as some of the mountain teams are down this year I don't think any team will get a big test untill they get in about the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs. Why do I get a funny feeling that both of these teams are in for a shock when they get against a legitimate top 5 team in Kentucky.

Well let's answer this first...Somerset hit Belfry hard the first half...14-12 at halftime and Belfry dominated the second half. 37-12 final. Game number two...Harlan County came out as fired up as a team can be and really pushed Belfry around at the end of the first half...Another point that has been overlooked is that HC really had momentum in the first half...Ahead 12-7 and kicking off and they kick the ball right into the first kickoff line. HC recovers and is in Belfry territory. Belfry holds them and makes the Oline adjustments and rolls up over 250 on the ground in the second half...3rd game...Bad record... good team...Southwestern took it to Belfry at times...After Belfry got a quick 10-0 lead, then they seemed to lose interest in playing D and SW took advantage and had the players to do it...Most of their scores show that they can play with, just not beat, the good teams...4th game...a very talented Pikeville team was dismantled after their first scoring drive and in the SC game...well no explanation needed there...The second half of the schedule will provide some good tests for the Pirates and have them prepared come playoff time...the point I disagree with, but respect, is that Belfry would ever be shell shocked by a top level team...They have too much experience playing good teams such as JC, Central, Bourbon, etc. to be shell shocked. The only time I have seen that happen was at Garrad two years ago. I honestly believe it took the Pirates a full quarter or more to adjust to Garrad's speed. That was a daggone good team. But the key to Belfry is they always stick to the gameplan and you rarely see panic out of them. I have seen it one time. In 2006, at the Cam, Russell shut down Belfry like no team I have ever seen do. Belfry never had an answer for them.

Now to answer the question about this Belfry team. It is every bit as talented as any team since 07 IMO. Now that talent is spread through the classes. The freshman bunch is really good. Not the greatest skill, but the combo of size and speed and strength is as good as any class that has come through. When Belfry plays LC, check out 23 and 44 and 40. Not just to single them out, but they are really good. The senior class is great with 3/4 of the backfield dynamite...the junior class lacks some depth, but it is top heavy with talent...Numbers 5, 55, and 4 stand out. Potentially, this team is better than 11 and 12, but I do not believe they are there yet. They have the time and schedule to prepare them for another great run.
Thanks Buc I believe that was an honest answer. I am just trying to get a good feel for who Belfry is this year. Like I said in another thread, I have all the respect in the world for the Belfry program and would love to see Lawrence County get to that point and all I can hope for this year is that the Dawg's can keep our game competitive and not let it get out of controll and I believe from what I've seen from this young Dawg team to this point this year that they are very capable of doing just that.
Do-double-gg, I always try to be objective as much as I can. I remember the days of traveling to Louisa and watching LC run all over the Pirates, aka the Michael West show. I think the Dogs will put up a good showing this year, not only against Belfry, but in the playoffs.
I think Belfry is going to steamroll tho district. I still think they lose to JC. Belfry blasted Pikville and many believe Pikeville can beat Fairview. Seeing how LC lost to Fairview not sure why you think this Bulldog team can stay competitive with this Belfry squad. Did your 3 point victory over Raceland make you feel this way?? Anyway, Belfry is going to steamroll this district this season. LC does seem to be improving and should handle my Cards with ease. But I just do not see them being competitive with the Pirates.
bucslover68 Wrote:Do-double-gg, I always try to be objective as much as I can. I remember the days of traveling to Louisa and watching LC run all over the Pirates, aka the Michael West show. I think the Dogs will put up a good showing this year, not only against Belfry, but in the playoffs.

Dang that kid was fast!!!
Talks cheap. Inside Lawrence Co's four walls there's nothing but a respect all fear none mentality. This is Belfry's side of the state until somebody finally knocks them off. They have been on an awesome run! LC has a big rival this week and a very tough Pike Central matchup LC lost last year before we even see Belfry. 1 week at a time. I think Johnson Central is on a different level this year for what it's worth. I expect they will blast Ironton this week.
Cardinals ride Wrote:I think Belfry is going to steamroll tho district. I still think they lose to JC. Belfry blasted Pikville and many believe Pikeville can beat Fairview. Seeing how LC lost to Fairview not sure why you think this Bulldog team can stay competitive with this Belfry squad. Did your 3 point victory over Raceland make you feel this way?? Anyway, Belfry is going to steamroll this district this season. LC does seem to be improving and should handle my Cards with ease. But I just do not see them being competitive with the Pirates.

I never one time on any thread or post said that Lawrence could beat Belfry. Last year Belfry steamrolled us twice. Guess who else steamrolled us last year.............Raceland did 54-14 just as bad as Belfry did. You probably don't think Raceland is good but they are, they are probably a little better then last year and have a shot at Bowling Green. People all this year want to judge this team from what we did last year but this is not the same team from last year. We have kids on this team who never even were on this team last year and some never even played football last year. I respect the opinion of every poster on BGR and I want you, now that you seen Belfry play to take a good look at the Dawg's this friday and then tell me if you still think Belfry will steamroll us. I think after you see us play you will say to yourself man this is not the same team who only beat us 39-33 last year. I don't believe we are at the point of beating Belfry this year but we can keep it competitive IMO and if I am wrong then I will be man enough to come on here and admit it.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I never one time on any thread or post said that Lawrence could beat Belfry. Last year Belfry steamrolled us twice. Guess who else steamrolled us last year.............Raceland did 54-14 just as bad as Belfry did. You probably don't think Raceland is good but they are, they are probably a little better then last year and have a shot at Bowling Green. People all this year want to judge this team from what we did last year but this is not the same team from last year. We have kids on this team who never even were on this team last year and some never even played football last year. I respect the opinion of every poster on BGR and I want you, now that you seen Belfry play to take a good look at the Dawg's this friday and then tell me if you still think Belfry will steamroll us. I think after you see us play you will say to yourself man this is not the same team who only beat us 39-33 last year. I don't believe we are at the point of beating Belfry this year but we can keep it competitive IMO and if I am wrong then I will be man enough to come on here and admit it.

Please tell me you did go and see the Belfry game against your Cards or are you judging all of this Belfry knowledge from the score and what people say. It's not hard to think a team is the greatest thing on earth when your team is getting beat like Sheldon Clark is this year. :popcorn:

Hey lcgrad, do you think there is a chance that coach will rest a few people in this game to get healthy for Pike Central. As much as I would love to see all the kids play I don't thik it would be a bad idea. We could see #7 get some good time in at QB. It always sucks to see kids get hurt but it would really suck to see em get hurt before they get to the hard part of the district.
Pages: 1 2