Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland @ Rowan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thoughts, predictions? Ashland wins BIG!!:Thumbs:
Ashland wins big. Possible running clock in the 4th quarter.
From the way Rowan acted with cheap shots and dirty play against Tates Creek last week I hope Ashland pours it on them. Dirty dirty playing cheap shotting team.....
I think we had a little bit of sore loser syndrome when Lawrence went to Rowan also, but that was because we beat em like they stole something.
:biggrin:
This is a week where Ashland needs to show a killer instinct and put the Vikings away early. That's what good teams do and in order to be the team that they want to become, the starters shouldn't be in this game come the 4th quarter.
Ashland by 20.
I'm hoping Ashland comes out with the fire they played with last Friday and not let Rowan think they have a chance. Get Q his touches and take them behind the woodshed!!!
Ashland 36 Rowan co 17 odd looking score :rockon:
Ashland.

It was tough to type that.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Ashland.

It was tough to type that.

Yup two syllable words are tough for you Johnson County Folks.
No suspense. Ashland wins the rest of its games prior to Johnson Central due to weak district and weak overall schedule. If Ashland beats Johnson Central, a real possibility since the game is at Ashland, it will lose to Covington Catholic in the playoffs. If Ashland loses to Johnson Central, it will lose big to Fort Thomas in the playoffs.

Some situations never change. They are repeated year after year. The only exception is that a third team from the north may beat Ashland on occasion and keep Ashland from playing either of the two perennial best in the region.
Doesnt this situation change every so often when the KHSAA realigns?
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:No suspense. Ashland wins the rest of its games prior to Johnson Central due to weak district and weak overall schedule. If Ashland beats Johnson Central, a real possibility since the game is at Ashland, it will lose to Covington Catholic in the playoffs. If Ashland loses to Johnson Central, it will lose big to Fort Thomas in the playoffs.

Some situations never change. They are repeated year after year. The only exception is that a third team from the north may beat Ashland on occasion and keep Ashland from playing either of the two perennial best in the region.

And speaking of things that are repeated.......
washed up Wrote:Doesnt this situation change every so often when the KHSAA realigns?

I suppose so but that hasn't happened yet. Fort Thomas, by size, is actually a 3A school but chooses to play up seeking better competition. If Fort Thomas went to 3A (actually they would easily handle 5A), Covington Catholic (usually) and Lexington Catholic (on occasion) would fill the shoes of the Bluebirds. I did notice that Ashland's district games include, in addition to Johnson Central, Rowan County, Boyd County, and Greenup County who are rated 31st, 32nd, and 33rd respectively out of 38 schools in 4A according to Cantrall. Weak district foes are not the fault of Ashland but it sure doesn't prepare them fr rthe bigtime schools like CovCath and Fort Thomas. Northern Kentucky football is much like Cincinnati football while the eastern schools are more like West Virginia and, therefore, overall, the competition is weaker.
Leaping Lee Wrote:And speaking of things that are repeated.......

Indeed so. Year after year. Just look in the Bluebird trophy case.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Indeed so. Year after year. Just look in the Bluebird trophy case.

First bluebird troll of the year. Welcome back Harry btw while your probably right about the tomcats this year. Highlands has hardly looked dominant the past two weeks and cov Cath is the most injured team in the state. So I wouldn't put them in bowling green just yet.
I hope to see Highlands have to travel and play us at home one of these days real soon! Been way to long since they played at Putnam!!!
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I suppose so but that hasn't happened yet. Fort Thomas, by size, is actually a 3A school but chooses to play up seeking better competition. If Fort Thomas went to 3A (actually they would easily handle 5A), Covington Catholic (usually) and Lexington Catholic (on occasion) would fill the shoes of the Bluebirds. I did notice that Ashland's district games include, in addition to Johnson Central, Rowan County, Boyd County, and Greenup County who are rated 31st, 32nd, and 33rd respectively out of 38 schools in 4A according to Cantrall. Weak district foes are not the fault of Ashland but it sure doesn't prepare them fr rthe bigtime schools like CovCath and Fort Thomas. Northern Kentucky football is much like Cincinnati football while the eastern schools are more like West Virginia and, therefore, overall, the competition is weaker.

I agree with most everything you have said but what is the solution? Not play local rivals like Russell, Ironton, and Raceland? The scheduling of Sheldon Clark is odd but

Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Indeed so. Year after year. Just look in the Bluebird trophy case.

And nobody is disputing that yet, you find it necessary to mention it in almost every post you make.
Ashland
T-CATS Wrote:I hope to see Highlands have to travel and play us at home one of these days real soon! Been way to long since they played at Putnam!!!

I suspect that you are off dreaming of Fort Thomas coming to Ashland rather than believing it will happen and result in an Ashland win.

Of course, if your boys won your district and CovCath upset Fort Thomas, it could happen.

But, even with the partisan ghosts, living and dead, inhabiting Putnam Stadium, I would think Fort Thomas would still be a heavy favorite.
Leaping Lee Wrote:I agree with most everything you have said but what is the solution? Not play local rivals like Russell, Ironton, and Raceland? The scheduling of Sheldon Clark is odd but

And nobody is disputing that yet, you find it necessary to mention it in almost every post you make.

With the class playoff system in Kentucky, there is little that can be done in scheduling. That is the dpownside of the system. You will always be stuck with perennial lightweights like Rowan County, Boyd County, and Greenup County or similar nonentities.

However, you could try to do better than Raceland and Sheldon Clark. Raceland is a decent Class 1A school that normally gives you a good game and always on your home turf. Still, it is Class 1A and you are Class 4A. Beechwood, a Class 1A school with a much superior history than Raceland, is never scheduled by Fort Thomas.

Overall, West Virginia football is weak. Maybe you should schedule Wheelersburg or a decent Cincinnati or Columbus area school. Of course, it would likely be difficult to get a good Ohio school to come to Ashland.

Still, in the end, Ashland's schedule enhances the probability that it will lose to a northern school every year.

As for mentioning our championship collection, I am stating reality. And, somehow, it seems that you Ashland boys are always talking about some perceived "tradition" which, I suspect either is in the ancient history or never really existed. It reminds me of the old saying that some are legends in their own minds. No offense intended.
One cannot deny the success of Highlands and if anyone wants to take a shot at them then they have to climb the ladder. I am an Ashland fan and I believe we need to set our sights on climbing that ladder. It seems like the mindset is to be one of the better teams in Northeast Ky and be satisfied. Until the mindset becomes we are competing for a title and the kids believe that it is within their reach things will never change. I get the feeling that the new head coach wants to think in terms of statewide and this is evidenced by some of the things he is doing. It will take a little time to reap the benifts of some of the changes. Time will tell.
washed up Wrote:One cannot deny the success of Highlands and if anyone wants to take a shot at them then they have to climb the ladder. I am an Ashland fan and I believe we need to set our sights on climbing that ladder. It seems like the mindset is to be one of the better teams in Northeast Ky and be satisfied. Until the mindset becomes we are competing for a title and the kids believe that it is within their reach things will never change. I get the feeling that the new head coach wants to think in terms of statewide and this is evidenced by some of the things he is doing. It will take a little time to reap the benifts of some of the changes. Time will tell.

Good post and, indeed, time will tell.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:With the class playoff system in Kentucky, there is little that can be done in scheduling. That is the dpownside of the system. You will always be stuck with perennial lightweights like Rowan County, Boyd County, and Greenup County or similar nonentities.

However, you could try to do better than Raceland and Sheldon Clark. Raceland is a decent Class 1A school that normally gives you a good game and always on your home turf. Still, it is Class 1A and you are Class 4A. Beechwood, a Class 1A school with a much superior history than Raceland, is never scheduled by Fort Thomas.

Overall, West Virginia football is weak. Maybe you should schedule Wheelersburg or a decent Cincinnati or Columbus area school. Of course, it would likely be difficult to get a good Ohio school to come to Ashland.

Still, in the end, Ashland's schedule enhances the probability that it will lose to a northern school every year.

As for mentioning our championship collection, I am stating reality. And, somehow, it seems that you Ashland boys are always talking about some perceived "tradition" which, I suspect either is in the ancient history or never really existed. It reminds me of the old saying that some are legends in their own minds. No offense intended.

You do realize that I'm in agreement with you, don't you? Ashland doesn't have to schedule Raceland but from a financial standpoint it is logical and I don't know why they scheduled Sheldon Clark. Of all the things you can question about Ashland athletics I think the strength of the football schedule isn't one of them. Ashland has 0 control over the strength of a traditional opponent, Ironton being the best example. Other non-district opponents this year include NCC and George Washington both of which have played for their state championship the past 3 years.

I find it interesting that you say Ashland's perceived "tradition" but speak of Beechwood as if they are Louisville Trinity. For the record, I have never spoke of the Ashland tradition. Most of their great years were prior to consolidation and integration, I get it but it doesn't change the fact that it happened.
That's not the only scenario which would bring the bluebirds down the AA to Putnam
Tomcats go into Morehead and win big vs The Vikings
Ashland 42
Rowan Co. 14
Leaping Lee Wrote:You do realize that I'm in agreement with you, don't you? Ashland doesn't have to schedule Raceland but from a financial standpoint it is logical and I don't know why they scheduled Sheldon Clark. Of all the things you can question about Ashland athletics I think the strength of the football schedule isn't one of them. Ashland has 0 control over the strength of a traditional opponent, Ironton being the best example. Other non-district opponents this year include NCC and George Washington both of which have played for their state championship the past 3 years.

I find it interesting that you say Ashland's perceived "tradition" but speak of Beechwood as if they are Louisville Trinity. For the record, I have never spoke of the Ashland tradition. Most of their great years were prior to consolidation and integration, I get it but it doesn't change the fact that it happened.

You missed my point on Beechwood. I am saying that Beechwood, a Class 1A school, has a far more impressive recent past than does Raceland. However, even in light of that fact, Fort Thomas would not consider scheduling Beechwood as Ashland schedules Raceland. There is nothing to gain.

I agree that Ashland has somewhat of a tradition from long ago. It is in the same vein as the old tradition of Army and Navy in football and CCNY and NYU in basketball. However, those triumphs were long ago and one cannot live on the exploits of teams from, for the most part, over a half century ago.

In football, Louisville Trinity and Fort Thomas Highlands have bragging rights in regard to modern day tradition. Mayfield is building a tradition.

While it is nice to dust off the old trophies and dream of "back then", it doesn't translate into anything relevant today.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:You missed my point on Beechwood. I am saying that Beechwood, a Class 1A school, has a far more impressive recent past than does Raceland. However, even in light of that fact, Fort Thomas would not consider scheduling Beechwood as Ashland schedules Raceland. There is nothing to gain.

I agree that Ashland has somewhat of a tradition from long ago. It is in the same vein as the old tradition of Army and Navy in football and CCNY and NYU in basketball. However, those triumphs were long ago and one cannot live on the exploits of teams from, for the most part, over a half century ago.

In football, Louisville Trinity and Fort Thomas Highlands have bragging rights in regard to modern day tradition. Mayfield is building a tradition.

While it is nice to dust off the old trophies and dream of "back then", it doesn't translate into anything relevant today.

I think it's safe to say that Highlands is on a completely different level than Ashland or any other 4A school for that matter. Therefore, comparing what they do to what Ashland does is pointless. That's why using the Beechwood/Raceland analogy is also pointless.

If your goal is to point out that Highlands is better than Ashland then you will get a disagreement from only those who don't live in reality.

You discount Ashland's tradition as if it happened but only in the 60's and before. While I will concede that most of the state championships were from way back when, Ashland did win a state championship in 1990 and has consistently played into the playoffs, which in my opinion seperates them from Army, Navy, and 2 schools that no longer field teams. I guess my point is, that Ashland's tradition/history isn't nearly as insignificant as you make it out to be and not nearly as significant as others believe it to be.
Leaping Lee Wrote:I think it's safe to say that Highlands is on a completely different level than Ashland or any other 4A school for that matter. Therefore, comparing what they do to what Ashland does is pointless. That's why using the Beechwood/Raceland analogy is also pointless.

If your goal is to point out that Highlands is better than Ashland then you will get a disagreement from only those who don't live in reality.

You discount Ashland's tradition as if it happened but only in the 60's and before. While I will concede that most of the state championships were from way back when, Ashland did win a state championship in 1990 and has consistently played into the playoffs, which in my opinion seperates them from Army, Navy, and 2 schools that no longer field teams. I guess my point is, that Ashland's tradition/history isn't nearly as insignificant as you make it out to be and not nearly as significant as others believe it to be.
You'll get nowhere with this argument there is a small and I mean small group of bluebird fans who thinks the teams success translates to them and thus makes them superior. What has happened is Ashland won a game handily that noone(myself included) thought they would win and the trolls took notice. Take it as a complement but don't waste your breath on arguing with them. Eventually someone from our area will beat them. I actually like ashland and JC right now over cov Cath unless the colonels get healthy. And I think JC could give ashland all they want. There district isn't superior just highlands and one of these days they will lose as well. And it will be to either JC or Ashland.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:You'll get nowhere with this argument there is a small and I mean small group of bluebird fans who thinks the teams success translates to them and thus makes them superior. What has happened is Ashland won a game handily that noone(myself included) thought they would win and the trolls took notice. Take it as a complement but don't waste your breath on arguing with them. Eventually someone from our area will beat them. I actually like ashland and JC right now over cov Cath unless the colonels get healthy. And I think JC could give ashland all they want. There district isn't superior just highlands and one of these days they will lose as well. And it will be to either JC or Ashland.
Meant to say JC could give highlands all they want.
Pages: 1 2