Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Week 3 2a Ratings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thought we'd keep a weekly 2a rating poll started based on teams performances for that week and for this football season.

1- MERCER CO.- Not just beating people like 28-7 or 35-14, There dominating by 50 and 60. Dressed over 80 against South Laurel. WOW, Rushed for over 400 yards on the ground, Over 500 yards offense. Be bumped up to 5a in next years new system. Wrecking ball in 2a, Hard to beat numbers and they got them.
Danville's former O-coordiator running the show. Beat South Laurel 54-7.

2- LOU. WESTERN- Also rushed for 400 yards on the ground, Amassed also nearly 500 yards offense. Collins had 3 td's, Dardon had over 22 yards in 13 carries. I've said it all along, Could have 2 of the fastest kids in the state.
Beat North Laurel 47-14. Another long time Danville boy running the show
in Coach Preston. 18 seniors to lead the way.

3- Russell- Defending 2a champs sending a message with 35-6 win over Greenup co. Casey Clark is a great talent and Coach Maglone is a proven winner year in and year out. Russell should dominate their district this season as usual and They aren't going silently into the night this season.COULD THEIR BE A REPEAT? --- ABSOLUTELY!

4- Belfry- Beat Newport Cath. in a great battle of D, 7-6, Lost to Ashland 28-27. HEY, Ncc dominated class a last season, Dominated Mayfield in the championship game at Louisville. Loses to the Tomcats at Ashland by 1 point and Ashland was not going to be beat 2 in a row, Which I predicted. NCC shuts out highly rated 2a Newport 20-0, This IMO puts Belfry among the elite in 2a this season. Great Defense and Tradition! Sheldon Clark will be the only team to even challenge the pirates in their district.

5- Sheldon Clark- Speaking of, Regional final team last season. Very Impressive wins over Boyd and Lawrence, Beat both easily. Great season last year, Could be even better this year. They will challenge for the district title and this could be their year. Beat Boyd co. 35-14 THIS WEEK.

Like to hear your weekly 2a opinions as well:1:
the list sounds good to me
Sheldon Clark is overrated here IMO....they are good, but Middlesboro is better and so are teams like E-Town and other teams from the Central and western part of the state are just as good.
I think this as close as you can get on the ratings. The are always going to be schools who think they should be over some other school. I am glad that Eastern KY is getting a little respect.
Russell
Belfry
Mercer Co.
Western
Middlesboro
1. Mercer County
2. Western
3. Ft. Campbell
4. Russell
5. E-town

I think that there are several teams such as Belfry and Middlesboro that are just as good as 4-5, and there are many quality teams in 2A IMO.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:1. Mercer County
2. Western
3. Ft. Campbell
4. Russell
5. E-town

I think that there are several teams such as Belfry and Middlesboro that are just as good as 4-5, and there are many quality teams in 2A IMO.

How about some reasoning as to why you have them in the order that you do. Mercer made a run into the playoffs last year and got put out by Russell. Ft Campbell got put out last year by OC who was then put out by Russell. Western got put out by Desales last year. E-town didn't even make the playoffs last year.

Ft Campbell lost most of their talent to graduation. Mercer may be good this year just due to the Merger. This will be remidied next year with the reclassification.

I know nothing of Western or E-town.

Russell and Belfry have to be 1-2. You pick where but look at the records of both teams. 3 state championships in the last 3 years. Russell is on a state record win streak at 13.

Final words- To be the best you have to beat the best.
Midee1 Wrote:How about some reasoning as to why you have them in the order that you do. Mercer made a run into the playoffs last year and got put out by Russell. Ft Campbell got put out last year by OC who was then put out by Russell. Western got put out by Desales last year. E-town didn't even make the playoffs last year.

Ft Campbell lost most of their talent to graduation. Mercer may be good this year just due to the Merger. This will be remidied next year with the reclassification.

I know nothing of Western or E-town.

Russell and Belfry have to be 1-2. You pick where but look at the records of both teams. 3 state championships in the last 3 years. Russell is on a state record win streak at 13.

Final words- To be the best you have to beat the best.
This is not last year, and I base my opinions on my rankings like everyone else for the most part, performance this year. I disagree that if a team wins the title the previous year they deserve to be 1-2, Russell is a very good team, as is every team in the top 5 IMO.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:This is not last year, and I base my opinions on my rankings like everyone else for the most part, performance this year. I disagree that if a team wins the title the previous year they deserve to be 1-2, Russell is a very good team, as is every team in the top 5 IMO.

I just look at preseason rankings. We can't base much on the start of the year. Russell had a by week in week 1 so they only have 1 game under their belt against a weak Greenup team. I know what Russell lost to graduation last year. One being my son. I also know what they have that came back from last year. If you want I can give you information as to why i would put Russell up there as 1-2. I am looking for others' opinions and information as to why other teams should be in the top 5.
why is corbin not on any of these? they held rockcastle and lost 2-0
Midee1 Wrote:I just look at preseason rankings. We can't base much on the start of the year. Russell had a by week in week 1 so they only have 1 game under their belt against a weak Greenup team. I know what Russell lost to graduation last year. One being my son. I also know what they have that came back from last year. If you want I can give you information as to why i would put Russell up there as 1-2. I am looking for others' opinions and information as to why other teams should be in the top 5.
OK:Thumbs:
t-cat50 Wrote:why is corbin not on any of these? they held rockcastle and lost 2-0
Corbin is good, 2A is deep as far as teams that can challange for the title!
Russell is the team to beat. Until a loss happens they have my #1 vote!
I am basing my ratings on last year and this year.
Mercer co.-#1 Lost to russell in play-offs last year finished 10-2. That's before they inherited 40 more players from Harrodsburg. Will bump up to 5A next year in new system.Why are they #1? Because they basically are a 5A football team who dresses 90 kids playing 2A football this season. They have amassed over 1000 yards in 2 games of offense. Jaggers was the o-coordinator at Danville for ever and is as good as they are. South Laurel is no slouch and they did beat Madison central last season.
Mercer crushed them with over 500 yards total offense. All this equals=A hell of a football team.
Western #2 -- Picked this because they had the 2 fastest timed 40' yard dash times at the UK combine this year. 2 kids Collins and Dardon ran sub-4.5 40's. Collins-4.47
Dardon 4.46, THAT'S SMOKIN! and on the same team. Plus last season they were a regional final team, Plus they return 18 seniors. They also rushed for nearly 500 yards offense last Saturday.
Russell, Belfry, Either one can win it in 2a, Right now at this point I feel Mercer is at the #1spot. Western has 2 of the best atheletes in the state on their team plus they return 18 seniors, This is why their #2 right now.
MIDEE1,
This is why I have #1 and #2 spots ranked the way I do. I have Russell at a solid #3 and Belfry at #4, My Dark-horse Sheldon Clark at #5.
I rate by a combination of Last season, Returning players, Pre-season scrimmages and Early season games and I have alot of friends who are coaches around the state I talk to on a regular basis. That's the great thing about a weekly rating, IT ALWAYS CHANGES(LOL). I feel just because you win it the year before doesn't give you an automatic #1 like sports center or college gameday does. Hard to be #1 in 2A when there's a 5A football team looming in the midst of 2A football.
MR.FOOTBALL Wrote:MIDEE1,
This is why I have #1 and #2 spots ranked the way I do. I have Russell at a solid #3 and Belfry at #4, My Dark-horse Sheldon Clark at #5.
I rate by a combination of Last season, Returning players, Pre-season scrimmages and Early season games and I have alot of friends who are coaches around the state I talk to on a regular basis. That's the great thing about a weekly rating, IT ALWAYS CHANGES(LOL). I feel just because you win it the year before doesn't give you an automatic #1 like sports center or college gameday does. Hard to be #1 in 2A when there's a 5A football team looming in the midst of 2A football.

Now that's the kind of detailed information that I like to see. I can understand and appreciate everything that you said there. I guess I'll be a homer and keep Russell at 1 and then put Belfry at 2. But other than the order I believe that the top 5 are spot on.
Russell is #1 until proven otherwise.Hopefully, the Pirates can prove me wrong this year, BRING HOME ANOTHER TITLE!
I like to see and appriciate all's opinions, That's the fun of it all.
Russell and Belfry are TRADITION, And have 2 of the finest coaches in the state.
Either has a shot to win it!!