Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boyd County @ Johnson Central 9/27
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
:welcome: who wins
Not really a contest in this one. JV and freshmen better be ready to play.

JC 56
BC 6
JC will run the clock early.
Gonna be ugly.
Might see a 59 yard FG try in this game. If there's a highlight, that'd be it. Just try to not get anyone hurt.
The clock was running when this game was put on the schedule. lol
Jc should win but would be a game to practice on the pass game and we need to fix our field goal protection .
eagles2011 Wrote:Jc should win but would be a game to practice on the pass game and we need to fix our field goal protection .

How would you suggest they do that? What changes do you make?
U-g-l-y
Lynch47 Wrote:How would you suggest they do that? What changes do you make?

Well I guess u look at the film and see how protection broke down and if u no football u have to be able to pass or ft Thomas will stack the box and I think they do tackle lot better than Harlan county so we do need to work on a couple things
eagles2011 Wrote:Well I guess u look at the film and see how protection broke down and if u no football u have to be able to pass or ft Thomas will stack the box and I think they do tackle lot better than Harlan county so we do need to work on a couple things
You don't have to pass much to beat Highlands. Johnson Central has always been able to run and score on the Bluebirds. The main problem has been defending Highland's passing attack. Special team play has also been a weakness in some years. This JC team will move the ball against any team in the state.

Highlands pounds teams with "balanced" offenses almost every week. They struggle more against physical teams that run right at them. Offensively, JC just needs to be JC. This year's kicking game will be a big boost to the Golden Eagle's chances against Highlands. If they can slow down Highlands' offense, then they will have a shot at a title - if the two teams meet.

Also, Covington Catholic has been hit with a lot of injuries, but if they get healthy before the playoffs, it will take a great effort to beat them. I don't know if when and if Bir will return for the Colonels at QB, but nobody can afford to overlook them if they get him back in the lineup and have time to jell before the opening round.
JC goes 1-0 in district play.
I worry that Johnson Central's weak schedule will hurt their playoff chances. There is nothing a team can do if teams within their district are down and most Kentucky teams within a reasonable distance refuse to the Golden Eagles.

I wish that Kentucky would scrap its playoff system and pattern a new one after Indiana's system. Teams should be encouraged to play challenging schedules to prepare for the playoffs and every team should be included in the playoffs. If a team does not need to worry about making the playoffs or getting a certain seed, then it pays them to play strong teams to prepare for the post season. (As opposed to Ohio teams picking out Kentucky opponents that they believe they can beat consistently but which will give them plenty of Harbin points.)

It is very possible that JC will enter the playoffs having played no more than one game without a running clock. The Boyd County game is one of those games. Hopefully, nobody will get injured because neither team will get much benefit from playing in this mismatch.
I would say JC takes care of business early.

Very possible to see JC work on their passing game and the JV and freshmen will probably see some minutes in the 2nd half.

I would also venture to say that JC's Tyler Pack attempts to break the KHSAA All-Time longest field goal record.
I agree with Hoot we've always been able to score. and move the ball on the Bluebirds but the key to victory is defence and special team play.
JC: 30 bazillion
BC: 14
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You don't have to pass much to beat Highlands. Johnson Central has always been able to run and score on the Bluebirds. The main problem has been defending Highland's passing attack. Special team play has also been a weakness in some years. This JC team will move the ball against any team in the state.

Highlands pounds teams with "balanced" offenses almost every week. They struggle more against Jm
Geoff
Matt
Jackson
James
Will teams that run right at them. Offensively, JC just needs to be JC. This year's kicking game will be a big boost to the Golden Eagle's chances against Highlands. If they can slow down Highlands' offense, then they will have a shot at a title - if the two teams meet.

Also, Covington Catholic has been hit with a lot of injuries, but if they get healthy before the playoffs, it will take a great effort to beat them. I don't know if when and if Bir will return for the Colonels at QB, but nobody can afford to overlook them if they get him back in the lineup and have time to jell before the opening round.

I do not totally agree with not having to pass much to beat HHS. If JC gets down 14-17 points they are not going to get back in the game with long time consuming scoring drives. HHS offense is very very good this year and will be incredible come playoff time. Teams are not going to be able to keep points off the board. Time consuming drives to keep their O off the field is what you want, but if you are down you better be able to pass to try to get back in the game.
HHS will give up yardage to JC but will make them earn it in long drives, they will not give up 60-70 yard runs. JH played against HHS some what like JC and HHS had ball 7 times, 5 TD's and two unforced turnovers inside the ten. That is very efficient. If JC does not score on just about every possession, it will be tough for them to get back with no passing in 4th quarter.
sstack Wrote:I do not totally agree with not having to pass much to beat HHS. If JC gets down 14-17 points they are not going to get back in the game with long time consuming scoring drives. HHS offense is very very good this year and will be incredible come playoff time. Teams are not going to be able to keep points off the board. Time consuming drives to keep their O off the field is what you want, but if you are down you better be able to pass to try to get back in the game.
HHS will give up yardage to JC but will make them earn it in long drives, they will not give up 60-70 yard runs. JH played against HHS some what like JC and HHS had ball 7 times, 5 TD's and two unforced turnovers inside the ten. That is very efficient. If JC does not score on just about every possession, it will be tough for them to get back with no passing in 4th quarter.
If Johnson Central gets down by 14 to 17 points, they are not going to beat Highlands unless the Birds suddenly become turnover prone. If they meet Highlands and do not turn the ball over, JC will likely score on nearly every possession. Most of the time Highlands spends practicing pass defense will be wasted on the Golden Eagles, as will most of the time Johnson Central devotes to its passing offense.

Neither of those phases of their respective games will get much use if JC and Highlands play each other. Highlands cannot afford the practice time that would be necessary to shutdown JC's running game and still manage to dominate most of the other teams on its schedule.

JC's biggest problem is that the new running clock rule and its weak schedule are going to severely limit the number of snaps that the first team O and D get before the playoffs and they are a young team. I expect more than a few teams will sub strategically to keep the running clock from becoming a factor too soon. That would be in keeping with the law of unintended consequences.
I do not like the new running clock rule.

36 points isn't a big enough gap for a "Mercy Rule"
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I do not like the new running clock rule.

36 points isn't a big enough gap for a "Mercy Rule"
I'm with you. It would not be so bad if the rule was not triggered until the second half or if it was triggered at 42 or 48 points in the first half. It does not happen often, but on rare occasions, teams have rallied from a 36 point deficit to turn a rout into a competitive game. Maybe the officials should be required to confer with both coaches before imposing the mercy rule. If the coach of the trailing team objects, then additional conferences could be required at the end of the half and third quarter.

If one team is physically over matched with another team to the point where the risk of injury is high, then a mercy rule serves a good purpose. Otherwise, both teams can gain benefits from even a lop-sided regular season game.
Johnson Central 55
Boyd County 7
I agree with the sentiments about the running clock. 36 points is not enough and I think it should not be triggered until the 2nd half.
We all have seen games that wasn't at a 45 point spread or even a 36 point spread.... And everybody in the stands and both teams knew it was a mismatch from the opening kickoff.

Here are some guidelines, IMO, that the "Mercy Rule" should go by.

- The "Mercy Rule" should ONLY be active after halftime.
- 36 points is not a big enough point spread for a running clock.
- Once the the 36 point mark is broken by the other team, the running clock should stop.
- If both coaches agree, they should be allowed to request time off the clock if they feel their team is in a total mismatch.
Do u guys think that harlan county gave up after we went up by two touch downs ? Wish we had one more really good team before the belfry game . I don't under stand why they didn't go deep pass with cole Wilson he was wide open on the one attempt .
Freshman get ready you will get some action in this one
eagles2011 Wrote:Do u guys think that harlan county gave up after we went up by two touch downs ? Wish we had one more really good team before the belfry game . I don't under stand why they didn't go deep pass with cole Wilson he was wide open on the one attempt .

One..wrong thread, you created this one about Boyd Co and there is another thread about the Harlan game.

Two..never question anything a great coach like Coach Larkey does, he has a state title under his belt. I'm sure everything he does is for a reason.

Three..Wilson was open, but wide open he was not. He was 2 steps behind the corner and the safety was slow getting over top. Wide open is usually used when no one is within 10 yards.

Four..since you have been so critical of the FG blocking, defense, and now second guessing a state champion coach, ask Coach Matney to be on his staff. From what I have been told, you are at practice a lot.

Now to the actual thread, since this is going to be my only post. Boyd Co has had a rough start and make the trip to Johnson Co. JC is coming off a very impressive and emotional win. This could be a trap game, however, I look for JC to regroup and take care of business again. JV in early.

JC - 62
Boyd - 6
JC as bad as they want. Everybody gets playing time Friday night.
Emmit Brown Wrote:One..wrong thread, you created this one about Boyd Co and there is another thread about the Harlan game.

Two..never question anything a great coach like Coach Larkey does, he has a state title under his belt. I'm sure everything he does is for a reason.

Three..Wilson was open, but wide open he was not. He was 2 steps behind the corner and the safety was slow getting over top. Wide open is usually used when no one is within 10 yards.

Four..since you have been so critical of the FG blocking, defense, and now second guessing a state champion coach, ask Coach Matney to be on his staff. From what I have been told, you are at practice a lot.

Now to the actual thread, since this is going to be my only post. Boyd Co has had a rough start and make the trip to Johnson Co. JC is coming off a very impressive and emotional win. This could be a trap game, however, I look for JC to regroup and take care of business again. JV in early.

JC - 62
Boyd - 6
well since u no everything why wouldn't u try and pass the run game was not going anywhere and mark my word in a close game field goals mean everything . And Harlan county blocked two attempts easy far as Boyd county there liable to call and forfeit .
I agree, we weren't getting our kicks off with great speed last night, and for whatever reason the Harlan County players were able to get in and block two kicks (one XP and one short FG).

Not sure if that was an isolated execution problem or a scheme problem. I know Tyler gets enough leg under his kicks that it's not a problem with his kick height.

If you can take away a negative from the game for JC, that's probably it. That, and we looked pretty shaky on HC's repeated onside kick attempts in the second half. Also, we still have difficulty with punt returns, especially the one we let bounce and roll to the 1 instead of coming up and calling for the fair catch.

As far as the running clock goes, 36 I think is a fair number in the second half. It might be a little low in the first half. 45 in the first half for a running clock and 36 in the second half would be fair, I think. There is nothing worse to watch than an ugly second half that's basically a JV game (or worse yet, some team's starters against another team's JV), and those are the times when feelings and players tend to get hurt. I think it's in everybody's best interests to get a game that is obviously over, officially over as soon as possible.
[quote=Hoot Gibson]If Johnson Central gets down by 14 to 17 points, they are not going to beat Highlands unless the Birds suddenly become turnover prone. If they meet Highlands and do not turn the ball over, JC will likely score on nearly every possession. Most of the time Highlands spends practicing pass defense will be wasted on the Golden Eagles, as will most of the time Johnson Central devotes to its passing offense.

Neither of those phases of their respective games will get much use if JC and Highlands play each other. Highlands cannot afford the practice time that would be necessary to shutdown JC's running game and still manage to dominate most of the other teams on its schedule.

JC's biggest problem is that the new running clock rule and its weak schedule are going to severely limit the number of snaps that the first team O and D
get before the playoffs and they are a young team. I expect more than a few teams will sub strategically to keep the running clock from becoming afactotoo soon. That would be in keeping with the law of unintended consequences[/QUOTE

You mentioned HHS working on shutting down JC's running game. Let me just say that will not happen. I am really surprised so little respect/talk about JC so far this year. I have had them in top 4-5 since preseason. I am starting to think now they might be at 2 spot. They will move the ball on HHS. Highlands will try to make them go 70-80 yards in 3-4 yard chunks and shut them down in red zone. JC will need time consuming drives that end in 7 points but I do not think they will score every possession like you said. Do not think JC has much luck stopping passing game and will not be able to keep up on the score
board. I always look forward to playing JC
Pages: 1 2