Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cantrall's Top 25
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think he is a joke. Harlan Co. at 12 and Belfry at 17. Belfry is 3-0 Harlan Co. 3-1 with that 1 loss being Belfry at Harlan County. What a joke.
1A ranking 2-1 Hazard at #6 and 4-0 Pikeville at #9. Does he realize that 1 loss Hazard has was to Pikeville.
Ranking by ratings. Don't buy too much into this. It's still pretty interesting to look at.
I agree with BlackCat on his statement. I don't know if Belfry being 17 bothers me but HC being 5 places higher is def not acceptable to me.

Also I love seeing Belfy #1 in 3A but we all know Central plays a difficult schedule, loses several games a year (most years) but they are in my book a Top 25 team regardless of their record at this point.
0-3 Harlan at #14 while 3-1 Paintsville sits at #17. This guy should not even put out a top 25 or anything sports related. The BGR guys do ten times better with the top 10 they do.
You see my account name and I still don't agree with Prestonsburg coming in at #12 in 2A and an undefeated Middlesboro team below them at #13.

I'm not even going to post anymore about his ratings. This is a joke.
Harlan is ranked 20 points better than Lynn Camp. Lynn Camp beat them last week. Numbers don't add up.
Keep in mind that this is not Dave Cantrall's opinion.

It is a computer ratings point system based on data.
It's a joke what more needs to be said.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I think he is a joke. Harlan Co. at 12 and Belfry at 17. Belfry is 3-0 Harlan Co. 3-1 with that 1 loss being Belfry at Harlan County. What a joke.
Not a joke at all pal, it takes in to consideration an entire body of work and sometimes due to that, one team that may lose to another team can be ranked ahead of them. Also, just because Belfry beat Harlan County once when HC's top play maker and great defensive end went down with injury doesnt mean that Belfry is necessarily a complete better team than HC. HC historically under Larky has started slow, but finishes strong. Over the past 20 years this Cantrall ranking system has been very accurate! Definitely not a joke!
Can't put much into this. I didn't see Johnson Central ranked in any of the classes. So how could this be accurate?:please:
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:Not a joke at all pal, it takes in to consideration an entire body of work and sometimes due to that, one team that may lose to another team can be ranked ahead of them. Also, just because Belfry beat Harlan County once when HC's top play maker and great defensive end went down with injury doesnt mean that Belfry is necessarily a complete better team than HC. HC historically under Larky has started slow, but finishes strong. Over the past 20 years this Cantrall ranking system has been very accurate! Definitely not a joke!

I respect your opinion, but you already know mine.

I assume the numbers beside each team has something to do with this system. If you take those numbers in consideration and average them out based on those teams numbers each has played Harlan County comes to 60.18 and Belfry 63.23 for the competition they have played. So IMO it is still a joke. I'm not basing my opinion on just these 2 rankings either. It is based on several of the rankings in each class.
Where is JC?? Not even listed!!
This is a joke!!
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:1A ranking 2-1 Hazard at #6 and 4-0 Pikeville at #9. Does he realize that 1 loss Hazard has was to Pikeville.

Agreed. This is joke city for sure.
dns Wrote:Where is JC?? Not even listed!!

That is a joke...
You have to laugh at this rankings. Cov Cath has been destroyed by injuries, no way they belong any where near the top at this point in the year. And I agree with someone who posted about JC not even being in the top 25.
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:Not a joke at all pal, it takes in to consideration an entire body of work and sometimes due to that, one team that may lose to another team can be ranked ahead of them. Also, just because Belfry beat Harlan County once when HC's top play maker and great defensive end went down with injury doesnt mean that Belfry is necessarily a complete better team than HC. HC historically under Larky has started slow, but finishes strong. Over the past 20 years this Cantrall ranking system has been very accurate! Definitely not a joke!

Entire body of work? 4 weeks and in 2-a Caldwell is 4th? These ratings are determine by a computer stats. Last time I checked, games are not played on computers where you put data in. They are played between white lines every Friday night.
Jc is not ranked because they haven't played 2 in state games. I'm sure after tonight's game with Harlan county they will be
I agree with most of he above. These are pretty sketchy. They don't hold much water at all right now. However, I respect Black Bear Cuzs' opinion. Let's re-visit Cantrall in a few weeks and see if his system starts making practical sense.

Sorry Blackcat Fan, had no idea rankings meant so much to you. Would never have thought this guy would raise the hairs on your back so much! ; )
Go BLACK BEARS/////////////////////////////////////
I know of some of you guys give us a little heck while we test our rankings system here on BGR, but lets be honest. Most of the time, our rankings make more sense than any other rankings out there.
Computers dont work. a "jounralist" from one specific area doesnt work, and looking at the khsaa website doesnt work.
Give us a little time, and you might start seeing BGR rankings in your local newspaper.
Kayaker Wrote:Jc is not ranked because they haven't played 2 in state games. I'm sure after tonight's game with Harlan county they will be

Russell has played 3 in state schools and their not ranked
Computers can't factor 41-0 games that end 47-26 when the winning coach has mercy.
Spirit100 Wrote:I agree with most of he above. These are pretty sketchy. They don't hold much water at all right now. However, I respect Black Bear Cuzs' opinion. Let's re-visit Cantrall in a few weeks and see if his system starts making practical sense.

Sorry Blackcat Fan, had no idea rankings meant so much to you. Would never have thought this guy would raise the hairs on your back so much! ; )

Lol, they don't mean a thing to me. If you want to put one out though make it legit. I just don't agree with computer rankings. Just like the BCS, the top 2 teams in the nation don't always play for the title.
I have followed Cantrall's ratings for a while. They will be inaccurate early in the season, but by the end of the year (as more data is available) they are very accurate. Check them out around week 7 through the playoffs and they will predict winner and margin of victory very close the majority of time.
mightydog Wrote:Russell has played 3 in state schools and their not ranked

You might want to check again.

CLASS 3A

1. Belfry 77.6

2. Central 73.5

3. Bourbon Co. 70.2

4. Pad. Tilghman 67.8

5. Fort Campbell 67.0

6. Bell Co. 65.0

7. Wayne Co. 63.8

8. Corbin 63.6

9. South Warren 63.4

10. Monroe Co. 52.9

11. Breathitt Co. 48.6

12. Lawrence Co. 48.1

13. Mason Co. 47.8

14. Trigg Co. 43.4

15. Pike Central 42.2

16. Russell 42.0

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/09/16/28252...rylink=cpy

Sorry but he wouldn't have made a difference either way, yes he broke a long run, but he wasn't a game changer. THE kid is an athlete but he is soft...Do you know how many BELFRY players play with deep bruises...And for the record the long runs we made was on the strong side Wilson plays backside DE....he wasn't a factor on D at all....technically if you take away the dropped passes that was touchdowns the score would've been 35-6...And As far as these rankings,.I've never paid 5 dollars to watch a computer play a high school football game...
Thanks cksportsfan, I looked twice. Sometimes us old farts have a time seeing even with glasses. Guess I should clean them.
Pages: 1 2