Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell @ Ashland (predictions and bets)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
AA #1 Russell (1-0) is coming off of a very solid win in the Backyard Brawl against county rival Greenup County. They are looking to put a 3 game winning streak together against Ashland as they travel down the river and through westwood to Putnam Stadium.

Ashland (1-1) has shown two totally different teams this season. A season opening loss to a very good Raceland team with Drew McDavid at QB had the Tomcats reeling and had the fans chantings "Put in Mahan." You also heard such stirs as "This is going to be a long season," and "I don't think I'll be going to any road games this year."

The Tomcats rebounded in week 2 knocking off AA #2 Belfry in an OT thriller. Much of the success was contributed by, you guessed it, new QB Darrell Mahan. Mahan lead the Tomcat offense with about 135 yards passing, 100 or so of those to now WR Drew McDavid, and 2 TDs. He also lead the rushing attack putting up 80 yards or so.

Russell has had to replace some key components of their 05 state championship team, but may be better than ever this year. QB Tyler Jones takes over after the departure of Tommy Brown and RB Nick Lewis earns a full time roll with the departure of Justin Potter.

Mr. Football nominee RB Kasey Clark returns for his senior season after being the key cog in the 05 state champion team. Even bigger things are expected of him this season.

As long as the score stays close, as I'm sure it will like it does in most rivalry games, this should be one of the premier games across the state. Can Russell's senior class finish their varsity careers undefeated against Ashland? Can Ashland prove last week's win wasn't a total farce and that their real team this season weren't the ones who fell to Raceland?

Players to be watched:
Russell:
QB Tyler Jones
RB Kasey Clark
RB Nick Lewis

Ashland:
QB Darrell Mahan
WR Drew McDavid
FB/LB Fields Davis

Prediction:
Russell shows why they're the defending state champions as Ashland shows they're still a contender this year but came up short against the Devils once again after their emotional rollercoaster through the first 2 weeks.

Kasey Clark plays solid but is contained for most of the game, but Lewis and Jones get the job done while the Ashland D focuses mainly on Clark.

Mahan makes some great plays, and some not so great plays. Interceptions cause trouble for the Tomcats and short fields for the Devils.

Score:
Russell - 22
Ashland - 14
Tomcat68 Wrote:Kasey Clark plays solid but is contained for most of the game, but Lewis and Jones get the job done while the Ashland D focuses mainly on Clark.

That could prove to be a costly mistake for many teams the devils face this year. You contain Clark and you get burned by others in the backfield.

I'm looking forward to this game. The score should be close. The players should play hard and emotions should run high in this non district, bragging rights game. I think it could go down to the last possession.

Russell-21
Ashland-14 in a barnburner.
Midee1 Wrote:That could prove to be a costly mistake for many teams the devils face this year. You contain Clark and you get burned by others in the backfield.

I'm looking forward to this game. The score should be close. The players should play hard and emotions should run high in this non district, bragging rights game. I think it could go down to the last possession.

Russell-21
Ashland-14 in a barnburner.

I agree that being too concerned with Clark can be and I fear it will be a costly mistake. I'm getting a vision..... I see, great play fake to Clark, Ashland D bites, Jones gets the corner on the counter..... atleast I don't have to hear the sirens or see the devil.
This will be a great game and will be the best match up in Northeastern Kentucky. Who will you put you points on? Russell will be the favorite based on their run last year and two victories over Ashland the last two years.

Russell - 28
Ashland - 14
Tomcat68 Wrote:atleast I don't have to hear the sirens or see the devil.

Well I almost burnt the devil down early in the season last year.Confusedhh:
Ashland shows russell that they are not invincible, in a defensive game

Ashland 14
Russell 7
tom cat i cant say much more really good post,,that was my prediction to
Midee1 Wrote:Well I almost burnt the devil down early in the season last year.Confusedhh:

If you're referring to the opener against Greenup when the thing smoked forever, I was there. I thought it was going to burn down. I can't clearly remember, but I'm thinking it wasn't used the next week vs. Ashland for one reason or another, or maybe I just didn't want to look at it and don't remember it for that reason.
Russell 36
Ashland 7
Russell 35
Ashland 14
Tomcat68 Wrote:If you're referring to the opener against Greenup when the thing smoked forever, I was there. I thought it was going to burn down. I can't clearly remember, but I'm thinking it wasn't used the next week vs. Ashland for one reason or another, or maybe I just didn't want to look at it and don't remember it for that reason.

You are correct. It was not used the next week. The AD made us wait till we got up there and took it apart and made sure the birds nest was completely gone before we could fire it up again.

I'm guessing that you don't care for our little devil.Confusedhh:
I picked Ashland last week, Have to go with Russell this week though.
Didn't see the Tomcats losing 2 in a row, But dont see them beating Belfry and Russell back to back either. It will be a battle no doubt, Maybe even another OT game.
Look fo Russell to pull it out in a close one.
Russell 27 Ashland 21
I predict Ashland by two td's over russell!!! Right that down!!!! Tomcats are a tuff ball club!! They performed exceedingly well when they went against Belfry!! IMO.
However...The only reason Russell won against Belfry,,Was a coach made a mistake By Telling The QB to throw the ball!!!!! Should have been a hand off to the halfback!!!
Russell is a ball club to be respected not Feared!!!!! IMO
Rocky Wrote:However...The only reason Russell won against Belfry,,Was a coach made a mistake By Telling The QB to throw the ball!!!!! Should have been a hand off to the halfback!!!

So that's absolutely the only reason that Russell won. Thanks for clearing that mystery up. The whole team thought that they won because they played hard and scored the most points in that game.

Was that the reason that Belfry lost to Ashland last week that Haywood went for 2. 1 play does determine the outcome of most games. Say what you want but Russell had what it took to win the 05 game just the same as Belfry had what it took to win the 04 game.
Russell is a good team,,But not like Belfry!!!!!
Rocky Wrote:However...The only reason Russell won against Belfry,,Was a coach made a mistake By Telling The QB to throw the ball!!!!! Should have been a hand off to the halfback!!!

So Kasey Clark intercepting the ball had nothing to do with the fact they won. I guess i'll stop by practice tomorrow and let them boys know that they owe belfry's coaches a debt of gratitude for letting them win the game so they could go on to Louisville.

Seems like some fans never give credit to the other team for playing a better game, having a better gameplan and executing their plan better than the other team. Some fans always want to blame everything on the coaches. Step out on the field and make those decisions or leave the coaches alone and let them do what they see fit.
who ever wins won't win by much
Midee1 Wrote:So Kasey Clark intercepting the ball had nothing to do with the fact they won. I guess i'll stop by practice tomorrow and let them boys know that they owe belfry's coaches a debt of gratitude for letting them win the game so they could go on to Louisville.

Seems like some fans never give credit to the other team for playing a better game, having a better gameplan and executing their plan better than the other team. Some fans always want to blame everything on the coaches. Step out on the field and make those decisions or leave the coaches alone and let them do what they see fit.

You know that all Belfry fans didn't see it that way. I think this game will help Belfry to understand what they have this year and what they need to get ready for when they meet Russell. Russell should win this game but it will be a very good ball game.
BelfryJustice Wrote:You know that all Belfry fans didn't see it that way. I think this game will help Belfry to understand what they have this year and what they need to get ready for when they meet Russell. Russell should win this game but it will be a very good ball game.

Yep I know that all of them don't. Just seems that there are some homers that just can't seem to leave well enough alone. The coach made the decision and the fans should support him. I supported Haywoods decision to go for 2 and understood why he didn't give it to May. I may not have agreed with it but I understood.

Lookin forward to the Russell/Ashland game. It is historically a great game to watch. Russell has the states longest win streak riding on this game.

BelfryJustice- Dinner is on me if Russell and Belfry meet up again this year.
Midee1 Wrote:Yep I know that all of them don't. Just seems that there are some homers that just can't seem to leave well enough alone. The coach made the decision and the fans should support him. I supported Haywoods decision to go for 2 and understood why he didn't give it to May. I may not have agreed with it but I understood.

Lookin forward to the Russell/Ashland game. It is historically a great game to watch. Russell has the states longest win streak riding on this game.

BelfryJustice- Dinner is on me if Russell and Belfry meet up again this year.

:theman: I hope that I get to take you up on that! Good luck with Ashland this week!
Ashland is a solid team, but that win over Belfry was a fluke, and I believe Russell will beat them 31-20....I too, agree with Coach Haywoods decision to go for the win. He hasnt won 282 games and two state championships by playing it safe.
A fluke??? I beg to differ
Elm street Wrote:A fluke??? I beg to differ

I won't say it was a fluke. But Ashland was extremely lucky to get out of there with a W. Belfry fumbled the ball 6 times and lost it 4 of those. They had 4 TD's called back due to penalties. I realize that Ashland had some bad luck but nowhere near as bad as Belfry. If Belry can take care of the butter fingers and the unnecessary penalties. WATCH OUT.
Midee1 Wrote:I won't say it was a fluke. But Ashland was extremely lucky to get out of there with a W. Belfry fumbled the ball 6 times and lost it 4 of those. They had 4 TD's called back due to penalties. I realize that Ashland had some bad luck but nowhere near as bad as Belfry. If Belry can take care of the butter fingers and the unnecessary penalties. WATCH OUT.

Belfry did lose 4 of 6 fumbles but they didn't have 4 TDs called back. They did have 1 TD called back and a long run near the 10 called back on the same drive (which in my opinion you can't count twice since it was the same drive, not to mention they still scored on that drive so it sort of nullifies the callbacks since there was never a change of possession between). They did have another TD called back later in the game though. So that's 2 TDs and one deep run. I may be missing or forgetting something but that's all I can remember to the best of my ability.
I will agree that Belfry had the better team on Friday night and would win that game 80-90% of the time, but as they say, that's why you play the game.
Tomcat68 Wrote:Belfry did lose 4 of 6 fumbles but they didn't have 4 TDs called back. They did have 1 TD called back and a long run near the 10 called back on the same drive (which in my opinion you can't count twice since it was the same drive, not to mention they still scored on that drive so it sort of nullifies the callbacks since there was never a change of possession between). They did have another TD called back later in the game though. So that's 2 TDs and one deep run. I may be missing or forgetting something but that's all I can remember to the best of my ability.

Oops 4 was definately wrong. But to my recollection it was 3. All in all Ashland had their hands full during that game. But it was better than the one I attended last Friday.Smile That's why I listened to Dickie during the Russell game.
Wow a Russell fan actually listening to Dickie Martin by choice. That's the first I've ever heard of that.
Tomcat68 Wrote:Wow a Russell fan actually listening to Dickie Martin by choice. That's the first I've ever heard of that.

Well 68 What can I say. The Greenup game was a snoozer so I did the best I could. And you were right I did some research and it was 2 that got called back.
Pages: 1 2