Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Best Team In History.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who is the best team you have ever seen suit up for your alma mater or your favorite high school? And how do you think they would stack up against the competition this year?
The best teams I have seen at Raceland were 1987, 2006, 2008. Under the current format, all three would have easily made it to the semifinals. 87 and 08 would have made it to the finals under the current playoff format.
Im with you, that 08 raceland team was a team that could have competed on any level. They slipped up for a moment and let LCA get by them. They would go 15-0 if they were playing now. The same thing happened to Hazard in 07, they blew LCA out (along with a host of others) and then let LCA get em in the semi-finals. IMO I think that years Hazard team would make it to the finals now, and that is saying that Bart Teague stays healthy. One of if not the best Hazard teams in school history, just ask anybody who got a chance to watch them play a healthy game, with 28 players.
Trinity 2011 and Bowling Green 2013. The 2011 Shamrocks is the best high school football team I have ever seen.
I will just leave these here. Best Panther team to come through Pikeville, the 1987 Panthers. '89 was more fun to watch, IMO, but this is the consensus for BEST team from PHS.

I will have to think about the best team I have seen PHS play in my lifetime. The 1999 Boyle County team is up there. 2009 Boyle County was no slouch either. Both Boyle County teams finished 15-0 haha.

2007 Lexington Catholic, another AAAA State Champion team was a tough one for the Panthers. The Knights only lost to St. X and Highlands in 07.

2006 Henry Clay was another crazy good team the Panthers have played in the last 8 years. They finished the season with a loss in the AAAA Semis to Trinity by 21 points.

2005 NewCath is another State Champion team PHS faced in the 2000's.

PHS versus State Champs since 1998:

1998- Middlesboro
1999- Boyle County, Beechwood
2003- Belfry
2004- Belfry
2005- NewCath
2007- LexCath
2009- Boyle County
2011- Swain County, North Carolina, Hazard

Don't remember it, but I know I went to a Highlands/CovCath game a long time ago, I'm sure those teams could play.

The Trinity/Male game is the best game I have ever seen and it probably will never be topped.
Pikeville vs Evarts regional championship at phs in 90-91 best high school game I've seen in person. Ehs won 8-7 in the poring rain. Ending pikevilles rein!!
PT post some video of pikeville in 89' if you can. I wonder if anyone on this site has access to some Lynch East Main film, talk about legendary. They are still the only team east of I-75 with 4 state titles.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I will just leave these here. Best Panther team to come through Pikeville, the 1987 Panthers. '89 was more fun to watch, IMO, but this is the consensus for BEST team from PHS.

I will have to think about the best team I have seen PHS play in my lifetime. The 1999 Boyle County team is up there. 2009 Boyle County was no slouch either. Both Boyle County teams finished 15-0 haha.

2007 Lexington Catholic, another AAAA State Champion team was a tough one for the Panthers. The Knights only lost to St. X and Highlands in 07.

2006 Henry Clay was another crazy good team the Panthers have played in the last 8 years. They finished the season with a loss in the AAAA Semis to Trinity by 21 points.

2005 NewCath is another State Champion team PHS faced in the 2000's.

PHS versus State Champs since 1998:

1998- Middlesboro
1999- Boyle County, Beechwood
2003- Belfry
2004- Belfry
2005- NewCath
2007- LexCath
2009- Boyle County
2011- Swain County, North Carolina, Hazard

Don't remember it, but I know I went to a Highlands/CovCath game a long time ago, I'm sure those teams could play.

The Trinity/Male game is the best game I have ever seen and it probably will never be topped.

The 2000 Boyle County team was the best Boyle County team ever. Also, one of the best teams in KY history.
2011 Trinity was the best team in the history of Kentucky High School Football.
To me the best team to comeout of Fairview would either be the 1987 team ( my freshman yr ) or the 2003 team . Most says the 2003 team . Fairview had 3 RBs on that team that was offered D1 schoarlships . 1 died of a brain aneurysm before his college freshman yr started , 1 opted to not play college ball , & instead accepted an academic schoalrship , & the 3rd one played D1 at Arizona & went on to play for the Browns in the NFL , & currently playing in the CFL
Thunder, once again, NICE!!!! You always manage to come through. As for Mayfield, I would say a toss up between 2002 and 2010. You can watch videos of them at mayfieldcardinals.net. I'm not as good at this stuff as thunder is, but you can go to that site to watch them. That team did look like they pretty well had it all. Congrats to Pikeville for that one.
Russell would probably be 1977. In the running would be 1978, 1982, 1994, 1996, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2006.

The 77 team was better than the state championship team in 1978, they lost in the semifinals at Fort Thomas 13-7 in what was a great football game. Highlands scored the go ahead TD in the final minute if memory serves me right. That is the first football game I can remember watching.

The 2002 team may be the second best. They lost on a missed XP in OT to a Breathitt team that throttled Corbin 55-0, I believe, the following week in the state championship game.
For Whitley, recent memories bring me to 94, 95, 99, 00, 01, and 08 teams.
Pre 1990, Whitley has some decent teams in the late seventies and early 80s.
The school was only created in 63, its 50th birthday being this year.

Im eager to hear some of the older Corbin fans thoughts. Corbin has an argument for the entire 60's, entire 70s and early 80s.
Theyve also had a long tradition before those years. The 90s and early 00's seen some really good football as well.
Johnson Central 08 team.
For Belfry:
mikehancho25 Wrote:PT post some video of pikeville in 89' if you can. I wonder if anyone on this site has access to some Lynch East Main film, talk about legendary. They are still the only team east of I-75 with 4 state titles.
Boomark this thread and check periodically:

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...146&page=2

I try to keep it up to date with all the new videos I post. I have to add a few, but the 1989 Beechwood game highlights are on page two of that thread. Hope that helps.
Highlands 2011

Record 15-0 and 4A state champions

Following state and national team records:
- Points in a season - 1st in Ky, 4th nationally - 849
- Touchdowns in a season - 1st Ky, 3rd nationally - 121
- Touchdowns per game - 3rd nationally - 8.1
- Extra points in a season - 1st Ky, 2nd nationally - 104
- Total offense per game - 1st Ky, 4th nationally - 501.1
- Total offensive yards gained in a season - 1st Ky, 4th nationally - 7517

Info from here:

http://www.highlands-bluebirds.com/ssp/record-books
Frozenbird Wrote:Highlands 2011

Record 15-0 and 4A state champions

Following state and national team records:
- Points in a season - 1st in Ky, 4th nationally - 849
- Touchdowns in a season - 1st Ky, 3rd nationally - 121
- Touchdowns per game - 3rd nationally - 8.1
- Extra points in a season - 1st Ky, 2nd nationally - 104
- Total offense per game - 1st Ky, 4th nationally - 501.1
- Total offensive yards gained in a season - 1st Ky, 4th nationally - 7517

Info from here:

http://www.highlands-bluebirds.com/ssp/record-books

W/ all due respect, there is no way they beat the 1998 team. The talent levels aren't close. 2011 has them on depth, but nothing else.
For NewCath, I'd say the '65 team that split the GCL or the 2005 team that was just DOMINANT in the playoffs topped off by smoking Mayfield in the finals.
For Somerset, I would have to say the 1983 and 1984 teams, of course. :-)
30 going on 40 Wrote:For NewCath, I'd say the '65 team that split the GCL or the 2005 team that was just DOMINANT in the playoffs topped off by smoking Mayfield in the finals.

Not disagreeing, but your 1983 team- that did not make the finals - was one of your best teams ever and deserves mention here.
For me it has to be the 1999 Lawrence County Bulldogs.
30 going on 40 Wrote:W/ all due respect, there is no way they beat the 1998 team. The talent levels aren't close. 2011 has them on depth, but nothing else.

Ah, but the requirement for the thread was a team you had SEEN. I did not have the privilege of seeing the 1998 team play but I did see the 2011 team play. I would not disagree with your statements.
Lawrence Co I'd say best 2 were 92+97. Next 2 would be 93+99. Followed by 90 and 01 I think it was. The 21-1 team could hang w the later group.
92 was filled with the best balance I've seen at LC. Huge Oline ave around 280. Arguably most physical tb at LC in Eric Cantrell. Best Pro style QB schools had in Phelps. Roberts+Abshire were as skilled as there's been at LC. Def loaded w all state players.3 PTS from state.
97 had D1QB Michael+2D1 WR Parker/Harris. 1 of top 2 most explosive backs in Meadows. Another huge Oline. Upset in final 4 by Dudley at Bourbon.
93 Best defense in school history only giving up 2 scores twice all year. Lost a battle in Regional finals. Abshire could be argued best all around athlete ever at LC. Stud RB that could catch+knock your lights out. QB got hurt so he played QB 1st time in his life and rushed for 320yds vs Mason Co!
99 Outstanding team w weapons everywhere on off. Short, Parker, Hughes, West, Wright etc.
01 dynamic duo of West+Wright.
Last 12-1 team had massive D1 back w speed Pack. James/Bentley nice duo. Def loaded w Anderson, Obrian, Bradley, Skaggs etc. Very athletic. Also best shutdown corner we've had in Molette.
1915 Princeton High School. Went 6-0 and allowed only 25 points.

Chicago sportswriter said it was the best high school team he'd ever seen. That's good enough for me.

If you really want good though, check out the 1917 Owensboro scores. Team went 7-0 that year, outscoring foes 509-2. Beat Henderson 124-0 and Madisonville 116-0.

I didn't actually see those teams, of course, just thought the scores were neat.
The best Caldwell County team I've seen is this year's team. And I've been watching Tiger games since the 1970s.

The 1998 Caldwell team says the 2013 team has to win the state championship, though, before it can say it's better than the 1998 squad.
Rockcastle County best team was 2001. that year Rocks D had 8 shut outs and only gave up 2 touchdowns in the regular season. team went 14-1 losing to Boyle county in the state championship.
For Allen Central the 2008 and 2009 teams. The 2008 team got off to a 3-0 start before losing to paintsville and then ended up only losing by one point to pikeville the following week.The 2009 team was probably the best team got off to a 4-0 start before losing to pikeville by ten points in the fifth game of the season, beating paintsville for the first time in school history, having three running backs with over 1,000 yards rushing a piece, they went two rounds deep in the state playoffs before losing to hazard, to top it off picked up their first ever home playoff win along with being district runner up finishing off a 10-2 season.

The 2008 team also made it the playoffs that year and had two running backs with over 1,000 yards rushing. The 2008 team finished 7-4 with a first round playoff game to the Harlan Green Dragons
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Rockcastle County best team was 2001. that year Rocks D had 8 shut outs and only gave up 2 touchdowns in the regular season. team went 14-1 losing to Boyle county in the state championship.

I will never forget the name of the running back, Marty Reagan. Helluva player.
30 going on 40 Wrote:For NewCath, I'd say the '65 team that split the GCL or the 2005 team that was just DOMINANT in the playoffs topped off by smoking Mayfield in the finals.

That 2005 team was something else. Only great player was the big D lineman but they were very good at every position and had depth too. We had a really tough team, possibly the 2nd best team in 1A that year but you guys lit us up in the 2nd half in the semifinals. I was at the state game that year too, it seemed like it was over before it even started. Great team.
Pages: 1 2