Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top Ten 1a games of week ending 9-21-13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This past week was a great week in 1a football again. We can really start to see things shaping up in 1a. I was really excited when I began to look at this weeks installment tough. This week there are some really good games for helping to determine the route to the ultimate prize in 1a. So without further ado, here is this weeks top 10 games of 1a:

1) #6 Hazard @ #5 Fairview
I am geeked about this one. I have had this game circled since the shedules were posted, as I'm sure have the Bulldogs. Hazard will come in at 2-1, with their only loss of the season coming to powerhouse Pikeville. The Eagles will come in at 3-0, with a lack luster defensive effort on Friday against Bellevue. The Bulldogs finished last year at 9-4 on a 40-6 loss to Fairview. The Eagles finished as state runners up at 14-1. I am familiar with some of the recent past mindset of the Bulldogs though. They will come into this game with the fans all being clad in shirts that read Beat Eagles. They will have a chip on their shoulder and the Eagles better be ready to take one on the chin.

2) 5a #10 Graves County @ #1 Mayfield
Both teams come into this one undefeated. The Eagles at 3-0 and the Cards at 4-0. They have faced two common opponents in Murray and Paducah Tilghman. Graves beat Murray by 3 and Paducah Tilghman by 3. Mayfield beat Murray by 10 and Paducah-Tilghman by 7. Graves plays this game as though it is the Super Bowl, so all these numbers are somewhat meaningless. Mayfield won this game last year 56-28 in a running clock game. Graves finished 2012 at 9-3 with a close, hard fought 7 point loss to Warren Central. Mayfield finished at 14-1 as the 1a state champions.

3) #3 Pikeville @ 3a #2 Belfry
This could be a great respect game for all of 1a football. I really somewhat look for the Panthers to shock the Pirates in this one. Pikeville comes in to this one at 4-0. Belfry also comes in undefeated at 3-0. Belfry won this one last year 48-0, and this will be setting in the Panther's crawl. Pikeville finished 2012 on a role at 7-6 and got the whole state excited about seeing them this year. Belfry finished last year as the 3a state runners up at 12-3 and are looking to improve upon this mark. To be truthful this game could easily be anyone of the top 3 spots.

4) Paris @ Nicholas County
I know these two teams are not ranked in the top ten yet. This game is a game that could get one of the two into the top ten though. Paris comes in to this one at 3-1. Nicholas County comes in at 2-2. Nicholas County won this one last year 57-20. The two finished 2012 with similar records. Paris finished at 6-6. Nicholas County finished at 7-5.

5) 2a Carroll County @ Bellevue
I know these two are not in the top ten either. I think this is an opportunity for Bellevue to get some more attention though. They come off the high scoring loss to Fairview. Carroll County comes in at 2-2, while Bellevue is 1-3. They finished last year with similar records as well. Carroll Co finished at 7-4 and Bellevue at 7-5. Bellevue won this one last year 30-8.

6) #4 Beechwood @ 5a #7 Franklin County
This is another game that will help Beechwood to understand where they belong in their region. This due to the recent high scoring affair between Frankfort and Franklin Co in which Franklin Co come out on top. Beechwood has been chirping about their new found offense this year. They will need it to win this one. Beechwood comes in at 2-1. Franklin comes in at 4-0. Beechwood finished their season last year at 9-5 at the hands of the Mayfield Cardinals in the semi finals. Franklin County finished 2012 at 12-1.

7) Pineville @ Lynn Camp
These two teams need to start their charge towards getting some respect in 1a. They appear to be on similar paths. The two come in to this one with identical 2-2 records. Pineville finished last season at 6-6 and Lynn Camp at 3-8. Lynn Camp however, came out on top in this match up last year at 23-14.

8) 5a Iroquois @ #10 Ky Country Day
These two teams come in with identical records at 2-2. KCD would appear to be playing out of their league though. That is unless you look at the score of last years match up of the two, in which KCD won 28-13. Iroquois finished 2012 at 3-6. KCD finished at 11-2. This is a chance for KCD to earn some more points with the pollsters and to prove the little schools can hang with the bigger ones.

9) #9 Frankfort @ 3a Western Hills
Frankfort comes in to this one off a loss to their cross town rivals and in need of some wins to get things right. They come in to this one at 1-2. Western comes in with the same record of 1-2. Frankfort finished 2012 with a record of 11-2. Western finished at 1-9. Frankfort took this one going away last year at 40-12.

10) 4a Valley @ Lou Holy Cross
Holy Cross comes into this one needing to get some wins strung together to get their confidence back. Valley may be one of those teams they can hang their hat on due to the fact that Valley is a 4a school. Valley comes in at 0-3. Holy Cross comes in at 1-3. Valley won this one last year 42-39. Valley went on to a 3-7 record and Holy Cross to a 3-9 record.

Well here it is. This should be another great and exciting week in 1a. Check it out, think it over and let me know what you think.
I actually cant wait to see how well beechwood plays against Franklin county to compare and see if Frankfort can knock beechwood off this year?
That is one of the big games for 1a this week. I think Bwood better kick that offense into gear. I don't know that they can stop Franklin C's offense.

Our game is kind of meaningless. This game means more to GCHS since they have only won 5 of 19 times against MHS. It is really just another tune up game for us, but they think it is a rivalry.

The game that I am most excited about is Hazard at Fairview. I look for Hazard to bring it and dash the Eagles hopes of a repeat.
myson are you making excuses already? Where is your normal cocky swagger? I've got your Cards picked.
No, I still think we will win. You just gotta understand the situation. I went to both of these schools and have had kids in both of these schools. We have lost I think 5 times and 1 of those times went on to win state. GCHS has never made it past the 2nd round and therefore this is their state championship. I'm not making excuses, never have, never will. We have lost games before, we will lose again. It is okay, life goes on. If you are wanting to know what I have on my mind, GCHS 20 MHS 31.
Well, I guess things could be interesting at War Memorial Friday. We have had a little bit of the injury bug hit us. We already had 1 of our db's out for a knee sprain. Friday night, we had another one break his wrist. It is unclear as of yet if he will be available for the defense this week. He for sure will not be on the offensive side at wr for at least 2 weeks. We will have to have the usual, that is someone will have to step up. That someone will have to be Colby Tucker. Good kid with real good speed and hard hitter. I think he will make MHS fans proud.
Why does little Xavier go to Mayfield rather than Graves County?
Nice try e but he don't look anything like me. If someone mistakes him for my son we would need to get them some mental health evals
mysonis55 Wrote:Nice try e but he don't look anything like me. If someone mistakes him for my son we would need to get them some mental health evals

Confusednicker:
my bluegrass rivals football pick'em going down hill.so i'm going to pick graves county over mayfield.need help quick be my 2nd week in a row picking against mayfield.:Hammer3::Hammer3::Hammer3:
Sportsfan, I figured you would get a kick out of that one. I have been asked several times if he was my adopted son.