Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Matewan, WV 48 - Shelby Valley 43
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This was a nail bitter.
Vallley was up by 3 with 30 seconds to go in the game. Matewan scored with 35 seconds left, and then intercepted the ball on Valley's Hail Mary to end the game. #22 for the Tigers was utterly dominating Valley's defense. After their QB got injured, they just hiked the ball to him and let him run it. Probably 90 percent of their plays involved him running the ball. Valley's QB took what i thought was a late hit, or at least roughing the passer, on Valley's touchdown to take the lead. I believe he came back for the final few plays though.
Good job Shelby Valley, keep your heads high, you'll get it back when you play Midland Trail, now go work hard for the next 2 weeks, as this will be the open week for Shelby Valley coming up.
Matewan scored with 25 left on the clock.
My mistake
Way to go Matewan! I know I'm a KY native but I lost all respect for SV last week.
Pond Creek Wrote:Way to go Matewan! I know I'm a KY native but I lost all respect for SV last week.

Are we still in elementary school here Pond Creek? You lost respect for a group of kids, you're kidding me, right? That is pretty bad when a group of kids who only did what they were told can get on here and hear that people from this area are glad to see an out of state team beat them because, oh you put up too many points on someone. Why don't you go cry, because this is football, you don't lose respect for someone, you go out there and knock the respect you had for them out of them. Gosh, can't believe you would say that you lost respect for kids, that is pathetic.
I would have to agree. Don't lose repsect for the players or "group of kids" and be happy they lost. Lose respect for their coach if anything. I
I agree...this was a very close and good game at the end....good luck to both teams this year!
UVA_Wise_Football Wrote:I agree...this was a very close and good game at the end....good luck to both teams this year!

I agree 100%:Thumbs:
I told everyone that Matewan would be a game that SV would have a hard time winning!
congrats Matewan!
Way 2 go Matewan!
I was at the game and without the excessive amount of calls against matewan they would have beaten svhs by 30 points.
fusion Wrote:This was a nail bitter.
Vallley was up by 3 with 30 seconds to go in the game. Matewan scored with 35 seconds left, and then intercepted the ball on Valley's Hail Mary to end the game. #22 for the Tigers was utterly dominating Valley's defense. After their QB got injured, they just hiked the ball to him and let him run it. Probably 90 percent of their plays involved him running the ball. Valley's QB took what i thought was a late hit, or at least roughing the passer, on Valley's touchdown to take the lead. I believe he came back for the final few plays though.

The play Valley's Q.B. got hurt was a late hit and it was called.....as far as the game goes I didnt see nothing all night but Flags and Fumbles from both teams very sloppy game. Valley's Q.B. is tough though really impressed me but the kid from Matewan (McCoy) #22 is the real deal he had about 200 yards at Halftime, and had a 98 yard T.D. called back... I was really giving Vally a hard time for what they did last week, but they really dont seem like a bad good of kids.
two color blue Wrote:I was at the game and without the excessive amount of calls against matewan they would have beaten svhs by 30 points.

You know this still blows me up. I was at the game myself. The game was called fair. Blaim the refs though. Even though it was a nuetral field. Great game by the Cats. It's a tough loss but way to keep in there keep it up.
i was at the game, one of the best games i have ever saw..........not much D from either team but both teams have a great offensive attack, matewan ran the ball anytime they wanted and valley passed as well as ran on matewan........great game congrats to the tigers, good luck to both teams in the future
Tonight for the first time. Valley didn't hang there head not one time. This was a great game and i hope theres many more to come. Good job to both teams.
If Matewan was rated at 8th in the state like everybody said then this was a great game by Valley.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Are we still in elementary school here Pond Creek? You lost respect for a group of kids, you're kidding me, right? That is pretty bad when a group of kids who only did what they were told can get on here and hear that people from this area are glad to see an out of state team beat them because, oh you put up too many points on someone. Why don't you go cry, because this is football, you don't lose respect for someone, you go out there and knock the respect you had for them out of them. Gosh, can't believe you would say that you lost respect for kids, that is pathetic.
I think "Pond Creek" means he/she lost respect for the coaching staff that made the decisions last week, not the kids on the team.
hey Wrote:If Matewan was rated at 8th in the state like everybody said then this was a great game by Valley.

It was a great game by Valley and I won't take that from them, but the quality of West Virginia football is far less than that of Kentucky football, just as Kentucky football has far less quality than Ohio football from top to bottom.
Great Game by both Teams
I was listening to this game on the radio when matewan was at 1st and goal with 30 seconds left,it seemed like this was a heck of a game,Congrats to Matewan and good job Shelby Valley on a great game played
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Are we still in elementary school here Pond Creek? You lost respect for a group of kids, you're kidding me, right? That is pretty bad when a group of kids who only did what they were told can get on here and hear that people from this area are glad to see an out of state team beat them because, oh you put up too many points on someone. Why don't you go cry, because this is football, you don't lose respect for someone, you go out there and knock the respect you had for them out of them. Gosh, can't believe you would say that you lost respect for kids, that is pathetic.

Most of the time. the kids will mirror what they are taught. The kids may be "only doing what they were told" but the Coach is supposed to be the adult and make mature decisions (which he did not last week). I hope SV's coach learned something from last week, there is a huge difference in winning with class and humiliating someone. I have always thought that first impressions mean a lot, and if SV's coach felt great after his win last week, then I wasn't very impressed. By reading your post, I can only hope you are a child saying some of the things you did. I would hope an adult would know better.
BTW..Congrats to Matewan on the win (and not because they're an out of state team who beat Valley-a very close friend of mine is a Coach at Matewan), and good luck to SV for the rest of the season.
hey Wrote:If Matewan was rated at 8th in the state like everybody said then this was a great game by Valley.

There is a BIG difference in being ranked in West Virginia vs Kentucky. In my opinion, West Virginia football is well below Kentucky.
belfry forever Wrote:There is a BIG difference in being ranked in West Virginia vs Kentucky. In my opinion, West Virginia football is well below Kentucky.

True. And I heard something at the game about Matewan's best running back out on an injury. Anyone know any truth to it? #22 (not sure of his name) had close to 600 rushing yds, and if he's not their best back, then this game would probably not have been close.
#22 played an incredible game...it was one of the best solo performances I have ever saw in any high school sport...congrats Matewan
Pond Creek Wrote:Way to go Matewan! I know I'm a KY native but I lost all respect for SV last week.

That's pathetic...
alfus21 Wrote:That's pathetic...

Glad to see someone agress with me.
This was a very good game and everyone got what they paid for. I feel as if Pond Cheek has a right to feel the way she does. It wasn't like SV tried to use a kicker in that 79-6 win over a team that never had a chance in the game. Matewan showed what a team of equal talent could do with SV. I have always respected both teams. Matewan for their winning program and SV because they are a district game.
There waas a good crew calling the game last night and the plays I saw that were called back seemed legit. There was a block on one of the big runs that had nothing to do with the play but the kid from Matewan could have really hurt one of Valleys players. I know a few of SV players and they are great kids. If someone ran a score up don't blame the players.
Why is Shelby Valley scheduling so many West Virginia teams to play ??? Why can't Valley schedule teams like Ashland, Breathitt County, Russell ??? Nothing against the kids from West Virginia because they have some talented ones over there, but we all know that Kentucky HS football is far superior than WV HS football....It just don't make any sense.

If I were a coach, I would want to schedule the best early on so it will prepare you for the playoffs when you have to play much tougher competition.

For example, In the first two weeks of the season Belfry has played the defending Class A State Champion Newport Central Catholic and Class AAA powerhouse Ashland....that kind of scheduling will help Belfry later on down the road when the wins and losses really matter in the playoffs.
Pages: 1 2