Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnson Central 72, Noblesville Lions 29
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The most interesting point of this game is JC kicker Tyler Pack connecting on a 52 yard FG late in the game, easily a school record. That's a dangerous weapon for a team that runs the ball when your drive stalls in enemy territory, being able to score anywhere inside the opponent's 35.

Lions QB J. Graham Lindeman is a prospect. Threw for over 400 yards, although much of that was against kids who aren't on the two-deep chart. Still, probably the best QB we'll see in the regular season (best passing QB, at least).

To those who accuse Matney of not being classy, he attempted 52 and 60 yard field goals on first down late in the game instead of going for scores. He also took a knee on the final extra point attempt with 69 points to avoid hitting 70. Of course, the haters will still hate.

On to the next one.
Who does JC have next. They have to be chomping at the bit for a little better competition,
Where's Noblesville?
Jarons Wrote:Where's Noblesville?
A few miles north of Indianapolis and a few miles west of Carmel.
Perry Central next. Not sure that's a huge jump up though. It is at least a known entity.
Diogenes Wrote:The most interesting point of this game is JC kicker Tyler Pack connecting on a 52 yard FG late in the game, easily a school record. That's a dangerous weapon for a team that runs the ball when your drive stalls in enemy territory, being able to score anywhere inside the opponent's 35.

Lions QB J. Graham Lindeman is a prospect. Threw for over 400 yards, although much of that was against kids who aren't on the two-deep chart. Still, probably the best QB we'll see in the regular season (best passing QB, at least).

To those who accuse Matney of not being classy, he attempted 52 and 60 yard field goals on first down late in the game instead of going for scores. He also took a knee on the final extra point attempt with 69 points to avoid hitting 70. Of course, the haters will still hate.

On to the next one.

Who accused Matney of not being classy. You made the first post?:insane:
dns Wrote:Who accused Matney of not being classy. You made the first post?:insane:

Is this your first ever post on BGR? Welcome to the site!!!
dns Wrote:Who accused Matney of not being classy. You made the first post?:insane:
It was just a pre-emptive response to the inevitable accusation that Matney ran up the score. The only time that I ever recall Matney running up the score involved a rival team whose players and fans had engaged in some illegal, mean-spirited pre-game mischief. On that occasion, I believe that he did run up the score to punish the guilty parties and to discourage future incidents of a similar nature, and I believe that he accomplished that goal.

I have seen Matney change his game plan to keep scores respectable many times, as he did today. Noblesville just did not have enough athletes to keep pace with JC's depth.

In the pregame show, Matney said that Noblesville ran some plays that he had never seen before and that they were very well coached. The fact that Noblesville's line allowed the quarterback time to complete passes for more than 400 yards indicates that he was right.

Johnson Central's defensive line is young and will need to grow up quickly to slow down the passing games of teams that they will see in the playoffs.
Diogenes Wrote:Is this your first ever post on BGR? Welcome to the site!!!

Sorrt!:igiveup:
Off topic but saw JC product JJ Jude with a pretty nice run against Louisville on ESPN soortcenter. Hope to see a lot more in the future.
The best part of the whole game was the 52 yard field goal made by a sophomore. It had the distance to have been a 60 plus yard kick, if it had been more centered in goal. This young man is going to be very interesting to watch in his high school years!!!
How do you score 72 with the new mercy rule. There must have been a lot of big plays.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It was just a pre-emptive response to the inevitable accusation that Matney ran up the score. The only time that I ever recall Matney running up the score involved a rival team whose players and fans had engaged in some illegal, mean-spirited pre-game mischief. On that occasion, I believe that he did run up the score to punish the guilty parties and to discourage future incidents of a similar nature, and I believe that he accomplished that goal.

I have seen Matney change his game plan to keep scores respectable many times, as he did today. Noblesville just did not have enough athletes to keep pace with JC's depth.

In the pregame show, Matney said that Noblesville ran some plays that he had never seen before and that they were very well coached. The fact that

Noblesville's line allowed the quarterback time to complete passes for more
than 400 yards indicates that he was right.

Johnson Central's defensive line is young and will need to grow up quickly to slow down the passing games of teams that they will see in the playoffs.

That is good news to hear if you are a Highlands fan, their QB/WR are looking great this year. Have not looked at playoff locations yet, where would a JC/Highlands match up take place this year? People keep saying that JC is not the team like a couple of years ago, but they just keep winning. You have to like what that program is doing.
E's Army Wrote:How do you score 72 with the new mercy rule. There must have been a lot of big plays.

Highlands put up 55 points in 18 mins of the first half this week. He took starters out for second half or they could have put up 100. You have to have a quick strike offense or be playing a team that can not tackle and get huge running plays.
sstack Wrote:Highlands put up 55 points in 18 mins of the first half this week. He took starters out for second half or they could have put up 100. You have to have a quick strike offense or be playing a team that can not tackle and get huge running plays.

Or play a team that just keeps throwing the ball over and over again. And a lot of big plays on both sides. Central kept breaking off big runs and Noblesville hit its share of long passes. Not to say Houliston won't have a field day, but JC did sub defensive players early and often, so a lot of Noblesville's yards came against non-starters. Matney doesn't like to shut anyone out or score 70 or anyone so he starts substituting on defense liberally very early in a game that's headed toward being one sided.
Was this a JV game or something?
JC should have scored 200 and broke some records
No sympathy for teams that are to bad to stop it.
eagle 777 Wrote:The best part of the whole game was the 52 yard field goal made by a sophomore. It had the distance to have been a 60 plus yard kick, if it had been more centered in goal. This young man is going to be very interesting to watch in his high school years!!!

He'll break the state record before he graduates.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:JC should have scored 200 and broke some records
No sympathy for teams that are to bad to stop it.
Johnson Central's administration and Coach Matney have too much class to do such a thing. Besides, it is doubtful that the Noblesville Lions are the worst team on JC's schedule. I watched a highlight video of their QB and he has good size, a strong arm, decent speed and some good receivers. He moved his team up and down the field pretty well - even in the first quarter. This game probably benefited JC more than a game with Sheldon Clark would have.

No good comes by leaving your first string in against an over matched team just to set records. It cheats the guys on the bench of playing time that they have earned and which pays benefits to both them and the team down the road. Sympathy has nothing to do with good, sound coaching decisions.
As a Harlan County fan, I dread coming to JC after this week. I feel that JC might be better than Belfry. If we don't start playing better, we will get it handed to us against JC. We have an attitude adjustment to be made. All our kids have heard is Bowling Green, Bowling Green, Bowling Green but our kids have to remember that we have to take one game at a time. AND GET BETTER EACH GAME!!!!
Is there no mercy rule in Indiana?
adopted purple Wrote:Is there no mercy rule in Indiana?
The game was played in Kentucky.
In my opinion attempting field goals on 1st down and kneeling down on extra points is more of a slap in the face then continuing to play.
million_dollar_man Wrote:In my opinion attempting field goals on 1st down and kneeling down on extra points is more of a slap in the face then continuing to play.

Well you are entitled to your opinion. Some people don't feel that way. Not a lot you can do when the losing team keeps airing it out stopping the clock. Once the running clock started I don't think JC ran another offensive play ( other than FGs)
million_dollar_man Wrote:In my opinion attempting field goals on 1st down and kneeling down on extra points is more of a slap in the face then continuing to play.
I understand what you are saying and you make a valid point but I am sure that neither action was intended as a slap in the face. Poor sportsmanship requires the intention of a face slap or a nose rub.

I don't know this for a fact and I only listened to the game, but my guess is that Coach Matney wanted his pass defense to get as much time on the field as possible after the game was in the bag. The Golden Eagles always seem to defend the run pretty well because of the offense that they run every day in practice. The key to advancing in the playoffs will be their pass defense, IMO.