Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bowling Green 39 St. Xavier 25
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
#1 team in the state? Perhaps!
Bowling Green is pushing X. I would love to see that game happen.
Like I said, incredulous that anyone picked against Bowling Green.
Are there any more doubters about Bowling Green?
Yes, because 5A is weak and so is 6A except for T. And after tonight, I really am doubting T. Wait until Colerain gets a hold of Trinity.
^
Bowling Green is the best team in the state.
Theyve proved this game after game this year while others have struggled.

Yes 5A is weak but so is every class in this state. This may be the weakest KY high school football has been in a long time.
Somebody from Kentucky has to beat Trinity before they can proclaim themselves the best BG and Trinity would be a great game.
Bowling Green is not the best team in the state. Trinity two losses were to two of the USA Today's top 25 teams by a total of 5 points.

To be the best, you have to beat the best and Bowling Green does not even have a team on its schedule as good as any of the teams that Trinity has played so far. Trinity's district and playoff games will be breathers compared to its brutal out-of-state schedule.
Trinity won't win any national titles but they are still the best in the Commonwealth.
Bowling Green High School football coach Kevin Wallace has joked about quarterback Devin Hayes' speed -- or lack thereof -- for four seasons now.

Hayes joked that his dream school, the University of Florida, hasn't yet offered a scholarship because "I'm a little bit undersized for Florida. The (Southeastern Conference) is not going to be me."

But Hayes was no joke Friday night. The senior accounted for 409 yards of offense -- 309 passing, 100 rushing -- and threw four touchdown passes to lead the Purples to a 39-25 victory at St. Xavier. Bowling Green, which has won two straight Class 5-A titles, extended its state-best winning streak to 32.

Hayes, a 6-foot-1 175-pound*er, said he has scholarship offers from Campbellsville, Davidson and Centre but has yet to receive much attention from bigger schools.

"I don't understand why he's not getting recruited," Wallace said, noting that Hayes has a 4.0 GPA and a 31 on the ACT. "That kid can play."

Hayes completed 16 of 28 passes as the Purples (2-0) rolled up 521 total yards and beat the Tigers (2-1) for the third straight year. Bowling Green is the only Kentucky public school to defeat St. X since Male did it twice in 2006.

"There aren't too many public schools that will even play these people out of district," Wallace said. "To win three of them in a row, golly, I'm so proud of our kids."

St. X put up 398 yards of offense but couldn't overcome three turnovers or Bowling Green's big plays. Five of the Purples' six touchdowns came on plays of 18 yards or longer.

"They made bigger plays than we did, and we made a whole lot more mistakes than they did," Tigers coach Will Wolford said.

The Purples took control toward the end of the second quarter thanks to a pair of big plays by Hayes. His 74-yard scramble set up Blue Tisdale's 2-yard touchdown run that made it 13-3 with 4:48 left in the half. After a St. X punt, Hayes hit Nacarius Fant with a 75-yard TD pass for a 20-3 lead at the 4:02 mark.

Fant, who has committed to Western Kentucky, had six catches for 112 yards and two TDs.

"I know if I get it to the guys I need to get it to that they'll do something with the ball," Hayes said. "We have great athletes."

B. J. Nagle's 10-yard TD pass to Nick King pulled the Tigers within 20-10 with 6:25 left in the third quarter, but two more big plays put the game away. Hayes hit a streaking Blake Pillow for a 53-yard TD connection that made it 26-10 with 2:25 left in the third. On the first play of the fourth quarter, Hayes found Tisdale for an 82-yard TD pass.

"We've struggled with scrambling quarterbacks this entire season, whether it was the scrimmage (against Simon Kenton) or Ballard or Lexington Catholic," Wolford said. "That's something we'll continue to work on, but I do think a lot of mistakes on defense are correctable."

Nagle was 16 of 33 for 202 yards with one interception. Luke Hayden had eight catches for 103 yards, and Charles Walker rushed for 133 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries.

Wallace said his team overcame several mistakes, including nine penalties for 58 yards and a shaky punting game.

"That may tell you how good we are," he said, "if we can still win by 14 points and do all the things wrong that we did."

Bowling Green 6 14 6 13 - 39
St. Xavier 3 0 7 15 - 25

BG - Nacarius Fant 18 pass from Devin Hayes (kick failed); SX - Jake Collins 30 FG; BG - Blue Tisdale 2 run (Lee Ramsey kick); BG - Fant 75 pass from Hayes (Ramsey kick); SX - Nick King 10 pass from B.J. Nagle (Collins kick); BG - Blake Pillow 53 pass from Hayes (run failed); BG - Tisdale 82 pass from Hayes (run failed); SX - Charles Walker 8 run (Collins kick); BG - Pillow 36 run (Ramsey kick); SX - Austin Davis 1 run (Evan Shaheen pass from Nagle).

BG StX
Total yards 521 398
First downs 18 24
Rushes-yds. 29-212 43-196
Comp-Att-Int 16-29-1 16-34-1
Passing yards 309 202
Fumbles-lost 2-0 3-2
Penalties-yds. 9-58 5-28
Punts-avg. 4-23.5 3-41.3

http://lms.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...ver-tigers
I don't know if Bowling Green is the best team in the state, but now we know they are better than St. X. There were a lot of people that didn't think that. Trinity has proven themselves on the field and the Purples are trying to do the same thing.