Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset 22 Southwestern 19 (Don Marshall Bowl)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from the Reservation.
I called this one right on the money.
Ugly game throughout with a crazy ending! Southwestern scores with less than 2 left in the game and Somerset scores on the next play from the line of scrimmage on a 66 yard run by Castle Hatcher!
Team Stats:

Southwestern:
10 1st Downs
135 Rushing Yards
47 Passing Yards
182 Total Yards
10 Penalties
2 Turnovers

Somerset:
12 1st Downs
222 Rushing Yards
152 Passing Yards
374 Total Yards
6 Penalties
3 Turnovers
Belfry comes to town next week for SW
Somerset goes to Hazard

It doesn't let up for either of them.
Individual Highlights:

Castle Hatcher(Somerset): 14 for 20 152 passing yards 1 TD, 83 rushing yards 1 TD. Offensive Player of the Game.

Jordan Doan(Somerset): 22 carries for 139 yards and 1 TD

Jesse Meece(Southwestern): 47 passing yards for 1 TD and 36 rushing yards for 1 TD
Jumper Dad Wrote:Belfry comes to town next week for SW
Somerset goes to Hazard

It doesn't let up for either of them.

Yeah, that's brutal for both teams. Belfry up on Harlan County at the moment and Hazard is one of the biggest 1A teams size wise that I have seen in a while in EKY.
This was a game Somerset really needed. It sounds like the effort was there even if the execution was sloppy. Offense put up a lot better numbers--except for the turnovers. The Jumpers would have had a couple more touchdowns if they had not fumbled. Probaby won't be a fun week to be a skill position player, I'm guessing there will be a lot of ball security drills. Hopefully this will get them on a little bit of a roll.
Somerset with a good win. Belfry beating Harlan and Pulaski playing as well as they are indicates Somerset are better than their record. SW is a pretty solid football team. They have two three point losses and a loss to Corbin in which they were in the game until late.
Somerset had 3 empty trips to the red zone. Offensive numbers were much improved they just need to finish drives! With the o line starting to get better and Doan and Chevy playing well. Once Lange is back this really will be a tough team to beat.
I'm a little surprised and tickled with Southwestern performance. I thought the point spread would be much wider!

So congratulations Somerset on your victory, and to the Warriors for giving it 110%!!

You are correct, JumperPride. We had a couple empty trips to the red zone last night. Gotta finish those!!!
My thought is that if you're within the red zone and don't come away with a score, that is a moral victory and morale boost for the other team.
Granny Bear Wrote:I'm a little surprised and tickled with Southwestern performance. I thought the point spread would be much wider!

So congratulations Somerset on your victory, and to the Warriors for giving it 110%!!

You are correct, JumperPride. We had a couple empty trips to the red zone last night. Gotta finish those!!!
My thought is that if you're within the red zone and don't come away with a score, that is a moral victory and morale boost for the other team.

The point spread should've been much wider, but give credit to swhs, they are much improved from last season... As for my jumpers they gotta finish drives and put people away when they can. Should've been a 2-3 td game and it turned into a dog fight.
Glad Somerset got there first win. I shall be in attendance Friday for the Somerset and Hazard game.
Great game at SWHS last night.