Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Phelps Football-Have it or not??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
After the 79-6 pounding by Shelby Valley I began to have my doubts about the Phelps football program. Then on Thursday night I watched their junior high team play Pikeville. Phelps was much, much bigger than Pikeville and Pikeville is by know means loaded with talent this year. However Pikeville beat them so badly that the game had a running clock the whole 2nd half. Pikeville could have score a hundred if they had wanted. This brings me to my point. Honestly, is it worth taking a chance on getting young kids hurt if they are never going to find people over at Phelps to teach these kids football. They are completely clueless about the game. They have a very good sized team but can barely even function. Should this continue at Phelps or at any other school for that matter that has this problem.
well if the kids wanna keep taking 79 to 6 beatings let them play all thoguh they could use some quality caoching
Of course it is worth it if the kids want to play then they need to be able to!!
bball fan Wrote:After the 79-6 pounding by Shelby Valley I began to have my doubts about the Phelps football program. Then on Thursday night I watched their junior high team play Pikeville. Phelps was much, much bigger than Pikeville and Pikeville is by know means loaded with talent this year. However Pikeville beat them so badly that the game had a running clock the whole 2nd half. Pikeville could have score a hundred if they had wanted. This brings me to my point. Honestly, is it worth taking a chance on getting young kids hurt if they are never going to find people over at Phelps to teach these kids football. They are completely clueless about the game. They have a very good sized team but can barely even function. Should this continue at Phelps or at any other school for that matter that has this problem.

OKAY>... LMAO... I WAS at that game... MY CHILD played in this game and FYI... my husband (WHO played at Belfry and went to 2 state championships with them) is one of the coaches!! I think... HE knows football so that comment is WAY off the mark.....The referee's were totally clueless on what to do on certain calls.. EXAMPLE.... P'ville got called for offsides... what did they do... moved the ball 1 yard!!!! and then to top it off... they slapped a 15 yard penalty on Phelps coach for questioning him! I WAS there. AND... Phelps was without 4 or 5 (not sure) of their starters... They have Strep throat and WERE under DOCTOR'S orders not to play!!! Pikeville are WWWAAAYYYY Bigger than Phelps kids.... We have 1 12 year old who is around 6'1 and 3-13 year olds who are around 5'7 or 5'8.... IF your gonna put down a team you better find another one... My child is on this team and he literally busts his tail... He got clipped, charlie horsed, KICKED... KICKED again BUT.... kept on playing.... SO..... type away on your reply... cause I know it's comin... But do I care... NOPE.... I can type 98 words a minute.... have at it!!!!!!!!:devilflam
i think every school should have football...so what how bad you get beat..it's just a bunch of kids out there who love the game...
phs1986 Wrote:OKAY>... LMAO... I WAS at that game... MY CHILD played in this game and FYI... my husband (WHO played at Belfry and went to 2 state championships with them) is one of the coaches!! I think... HE knows football so that comment is WAY off the mark.....The referee's were totally clueless on what to do on certain calls.. EXAMPLE.... P'ville got called for offsides... what did they do... moved the ball 1 yard!!!! and then to top it off... they slapped a 15 yard penalty on Phelps coach for questioning him! I WAS there. AND... Phelps was without 4 or 5 (not sure) of their starters... They have Strep throat and WERE under DOCTOR'S orders not to play!!! Pikeville are WWWAAAYYYY Bigger than Phelps kids.... We have 1 12 year old who is around 6'1 and 3-13 year olds who are around 5'7 or 5'8.... IF your gonna put down a team you better find another one... My child is on this team and he literally busts his tail... He got clipped, charlie horsed, KICKED... KICKED again BUT.... kept on playing.... SO..... type away on your reply... cause I know it's comin... But do I care... NOPE.... I can type 98 words a minute.... have at it!!!!!!!!:devilflam

You are right about one thing...the refs were clueless. BUT it was 40-0 at the half and Phelps is a big jr, high team...yes, bigger than Pikeville! I am not trying to put anyone down by any means...but my question needs to be answered by you, because you have a child out there. Was it actually fun watching your son play in that game? You just mentioned all the injuries!! Is it worth it to have a child playing for a program that can't even get a 1st down?? Honestly, I have nothing against Phelps.
White Mike Wrote:i think every school should have football...so what how bad you get beat..it's just a bunch of kids out there who love the game...

I agree.....IF they are going to find enough people to teach them how to play the game in order to be able to compete!
Injuries are accidents that are gonna happen at any sport or any given game... I DID not appreciate my child being kicked 2 times, being tackled was another thing.. football is a contact sport... just not steel tipped cleats being pushed into his stomach on purpose...... Poor sportmanship... I would say that same thing had it been him (my own child) kicking another child. As for being taught what to do... they are being taught... the Little League program in Phelps should speak for itself... they were county champs BACK TO BACK until last year and Belfry beat them by 2 points... Yep... a school (not doggin Belfry) that has 4 or 5 feeder schools beat little ol' Phelps by 2 points!!
This is going to be a building year... we have 13 7th graders... and the rest 8th... and OH.. BTW.. how many freshman did P'ville play against us?? YEP... I know there were out there because I have a family member whose child is on the team and he is a freshman!! and UH... last year I can remember bringing some of our kids off our little league team over there and playing a team from P'ville and beating them 42-12.... It's a game.... my child wants to play and as long as the adults on the field conduct themselves in a decent manner the children will follow... I personally would have liked to have told the ref's a mouthfull... and you would have to know me... I really dont' care to do that!!!!! LOLOLOL....
Pikeville sure wasted $130.00 on NOTHING tonight for referees!!! LOLOL....
well i know wat it feels like to play 4 a small school when i was in middle school i played 4 beckham bates ye u neverheard of them we had poor fundings and i know how it feels to be kicked punched and watever and i know i didnt like it so how does ur son feel about that
phs1986 Wrote:Injuries are accidents that are gonna happen at any sport or any given game... I DID not appreciate my child being kicked 2 times, being tackled was another thing.. football is a contact sport... just not steel tipped cleats being pushed into his stomach on purpose...... Poor sportmanship... I would say that same thing had it been him (my own child) kicking another child. As for being taught what to do... they are being taught... the Little League program in Phelps should speak for itself... they were county champs BACK TO BACK until last year and Belfry beat them by 2 points... Yep... a school (not doggin Belfry) that has 4 or 5 feeder schools beat little ol' Phelps by 2 points!!
This is going to be a building year... we have 13 7th graders... and the rest 8th... and OH.. BTW.. how many freshman did P'ville play against us?? YEP... I know there were out there because I have a family member whose child is on the team and he is a freshman!! and UH... last year I can remember bringing some of our kids off our little league team over there and playing a team from P'ville and beating them 42-12.... It's a game.... my child wants to play and as long as the adults on the field conduct themselves in a decent manner the children will follow... I personally would have liked to have told the ref's a mouthfull... and you would have to know me... I really dont' care to do that!!!!! LOLOLOL....

This is my last post and I am done. If you think that Pikeville is going to play freshmen against Phelps you are out of your mind!! I told you that I didn't have anything against Phelps, I was just curious to as to see if programs like theirs got enough benefit out of football to keep it going. I didn't want to know about Pikeville playng dirty. Come on....the Phelps varsity got beat 79-6 by Shelby Valley and the jr. high is going to get someone hurt. Someone needs to take a stand if they can't compete!
UH... you would have to know him... LOL.... instead of him crying and going on about it pissed him off to put it bluntly! I was the one freakin out... yeah... they kicked him when he was down but...... Phelps' coaches wouldn't allow that to go on. Example: P'ville had our #25 chasing him and he knocked him out on the goal line in which P'ville scored a TD... 25 KNOCKED him HARD but then reached his hand out to help the other kid up! This is sportmanship..... My kid... LOL... he is young (just turned 12) and he gets mad easily.... BUT he knows to NEVER do anything to hurt another player... We have taught him that... YEP... play hard, hit hard, and leave an impression but don't hurt anyone just because you think you are bigger or better than them...
bball fan Wrote:This is my last post and I am done. If you think that Pikeville is going to play freshmen against Phelps you are out of your mind!! I told you that I didn't have anything against Phelps, I was just curious to as to see if programs like theirs got enough benefit out of football to keep it going. I didn't want to know about Pikeville playng dirty. Come on....the Phelps varsity got beat 79-6 by Shelby Valley and the jr. high is going to get someone hurt. Someone needs to take a stand if they can't compete!

You have your opinion and I have mine. I'm sorry you don't like what I said but..... The kids love football or they wouldn't play PERIOD! The coaches for the high school team do NOT coach the Jr. High. Totally different!!! Sorry if I offended ya but... that is how I feel!! Confusedhh:
Any school that has enough players that want to play a sport should allow them to play. That's plain and simple. It would also be great if they got quality coaches as well so the team wasn't beat badly, but not required. At the end of the day, it's kids who just want to go out and play. So let them.
Nice post there Tomcat68!!!
bball u done went and got her fired up now,sounds like they got their money worth to me . Ya the lil bucks won the co last yr and sure looks like they going to make a run for it again. along with 7&8th grades. like the old saying go'es if u can't beat em join um, u live closer to Belfry than Phelps If I'm not mistaken.....
Hey guys I'm a valey alum. Anyway that was bad sportsmanship last week on our program. However this topic is easy the hornets have a nice little class A program they compete for the playoffs each yr. So by all means keep it up. God Luck this season.
Thanks!!!! Our KIDS work hard!! yeah.. some of them are new and haven't played football since the 5th grade BUT thats okay.... they will learn and that takes a little time!!! AND.... Belfry Buck... congrats on last year and this upcoming year... I do NOT wish any child harm or hurt! To be a true athlete you gotta know how to win and lose gracefully!!! LOLOL....Smile
you take one shellacking and now people are questioning whether Phelps should have a football team. This is ludicrous. Absolutely shameful. Phelps should absolutely have a program. Every other year, they are a legitimate playoff contender, usually fighting for the #4 seed in the district, and almost every year will pull out 4 to 5 wins. No not every year, mind you, but enough to make them dangerous. They might be down this year, but give them another year or two, and they'll be fighting for another playoff spot, especially in that super weak district they will be in under the new alignment. I hate for Phelps players to have to read threads like this, because being an alum from Jenkins, and playing in the early 90's, going to the playoffs twice, then seeing the program hit rock bottom, I know how our kids feel when people start bringing up the question of whether football should go on. Of course it should. I give encouragement to Phelps High School, and put that miserable drubbing you took from a CLASSLESS Shelby Valley coaching staff behind you and make another run at the playoffs.
This thread is the dumbest thing that I have ever heard. Why would anyone want a school to not have football? They will have good years and bad years just like everyone else does.
johnnyd Wrote:This thread is the dumbest thing that I have ever heard. Why would anyone want a school to not have football? They will have good years and bad years just like everyone else does.
preach on brotha!!!!!!!:rockon:
phs1986 Wrote:OKAY>... LMAO... I WAS at that game... MY CHILD played in this game and FYI... my husband (WHO played at Belfry and went to 2 state championships with them) is one of the coaches!! I think... HE knows football so that comment is WAY off the mark.....The referee's were totally clueless on what to do on certain calls.. EXAMPLE.... P'ville got called for offsides... what did they do... moved the ball 1 yard!!!! and then to top it off... they slapped a 15 yard penalty on Phelps coach for questioning him! I WAS there. AND... Phelps was without 4 or 5 (not sure) of their starters... They have Strep throat and WERE under DOCTOR'S orders not to play!!! Pikeville are WWWAAAYYYY Bigger than Phelps kids.... We have 1 12 year old who is around 6'1 and 3-13 year olds who are around 5'7 or 5'8.... IF your gonna put down a team you better find another one... My child is on this team and he literally busts his tail... He got clipped, charlie horsed, KICKED... KICKED again BUT.... kept on playing.... SO..... type away on your reply... cause I know it's comin... But do I care... NOPE.... I can type 98 words a minute.... have at it!!!!!!!!:devilflam
WELL I TOO WAS AT THE GAME AND THERE IS NO WAY TO CONVINCE ME THAT WITH 4 OR 5 SICK KIDS AND 2 NEW REFEREES AT THE GAME THE RESULT WOULD HAVE BEEN ANY DIFFERENT. PHELPS HAD THE 2 BIGGEST KIDS ON THE FIELD THURS. NIGHT SO PIKEVILLE WAS NOT BIGGER BY ANY MEANS. I ALSO NEVER SAW ONE OF OUR PLAYERS THROW A PUNCH LET ALONE A KICK! AND THE COACH WAS CLUELESS. HE ASKED IF WE WERE TO COACH FROM THE FIELD OR THE SIDELINE. THEN ASKED IF THERE WERE PUNTS IN THE GAME. DONT GET ME WRONG I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST PHELPS, JUST GET SOME PPL THERE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. IM NOT SAYING YOUR HUSBAND DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL, BUT THE COACH OF THE JR HIGH SURE DIDNT.
phs1986 Wrote:Injuries are accidents that are gonna happen at any sport or any given game... I DID not appreciate my child being kicked 2 times, being tackled was another thing.. football is a contact sport... just not steel tipped cleats being pushed into his stomach on purpose...... Poor sportmanship... I would say that same thing had it been him (my own child) kicking another child. As for being taught what to do... they are being taught... the Little League program in Phelps should speak for itself... they were county champs BACK TO BACK until last year and Belfry beat them by 2 points... Yep... a school (not doggin Belfry) that has 4 or 5 feeder schools beat little ol' Phelps by 2 points!!
I KNOW FOR FACT THAT ALL THE KIDS ARE 7TH AND 8TH GRADERS. I ALSO KNOW THERE WERENT ANY KICKS THROWN. SO IF I WERE YOU I WOULDNT BE SO MAD ABOUT(IN YOU WORDS) A GAME. YOPU ARE BEING A SORE SPORT. MY BROTHER IS A FRESHMAN AND I KNOW ALL THE KIDS THERE AND THERE WERENT ANY FRESHMAN I ASSURE YOU
This thread is not about Pikeville v Phelps in a Jr Hi Game....Get back on topic or this one is finished.
YOPU ARE BEING A SORE SPORT. MY BROTHER IS A FRESHMAN AND I KNOW ALL THE KIDS THERE AND THERE WERENT ANY FRESHMAN I ASSURE YOU[/QUOTE]

Who is "yopu"?
last warning...get back on topic
MR. Pillow pants Wrote:YOPU ARE BEING A SORE SPORT. MY BROTHER IS A FRESHMAN AND I KNOW ALL THE KIDS THERE AND THERE WERENT ANY FRESHMAN I ASSURE YOU

Who is "yopu"?[/QUOTE]
i spell one word wrong and you are going to make a big deal out of it
grow up please
my bad, thought you were that cat kid from Letcher. Anyhow, I was only joking. loosen up.

Back to the topic, I think there is a place for all levels of talent to compete. Phelps with Twin Valley, Betsy lane, Jenkins, Allen Central, etc are not bad games or out of reach for anyone. Scheduling up helps build the team in some cases, sometimes not. Other than tradition, I don't understand why schools like SV and East Ridge schedule down. In most cases, it just don't help the team.
Well..... I am not blaming anyone on Phelps' loss but Phelps.... As for my husband... I can promise you that he has forgotten more about football than some will ever know!! LOL>.... If you wish to see pictures of the metal impressions in my childs side (above his hip pad area) I will be glad to post them. Yes, he was kicked but that is football!!! I don't like dirty playing but in football like I said in an earlier post.... it's a contact sport! AND... who cares who played where... the game is over and done with... BELIEVE me... a learning experience for the youngins at Phelps... and OH... BTW...the 2 kids you were talkin about being bigger than P'villes team.... They are only playing their 1st year of football!!!!
There is alot of football tradiion at Phelps, they will always have a team, everyone has a few bad years...look at Betsy Layne and Allen Centrel, they have had some rough years at those two schools and they both are putting a better team on the field year by year, its called rebuilding, you will take alot of butt-kickings while you do it but you learn from them. Just my 2 cents.
Pages: 1 2 3