Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Raceland 32 Ashland 16 (FRESHMAN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Even with 3 starters out the Raceland Rams Freshman defeated Ashlands freshman. This group of kids are something special. There football iq is off the charts as a whole. At QB Nick Caldwell is a Conner Messer style of athelete, but is, imo has added toughness. The Robinson kid is a stud out of the wildcat as well. They are HUGE upfront. Even without 6'1" 300lb, frosh tackle, Isaac Wallace(he's varsity), they probably avg about 5'10 220 on the o lines and d lines. The difference maker? Bailey Walker. He comes from a line of talent wit his Dad Matt and Uncle Seth both being standout players in the early and late Nineties. Bailey, is a catylist for this team. A great second effort, hard running back. And plays with his head on a swivel and NEVER shies away from contact. The difference in this squad as they get older will be a killers mentality. These kids havent lossed but 3 games in almost 7 years. They r big, fast, smart, and a coaches dream. Fact is, they dont take alot of it. 22 kids in that freshman class. I will be shocked if this squad isnt involved in 2 or 3 state championship apperances or even a bring home a championship trophy or 2. If Raceland cant get that Regional Champ monkey off their back in the next 4 years, it may never happen.
While the Raceland group is talented I thought the Ashland kids showed they have improved from the Verity days. I think with a little confidence and some attention to detail from the staff they will get better as the year goes along. They were playing with them until that pick six put Raceland up two scores. I know its a loss, but from what Ive heard its a solid step to stay competitive as long as they did for this group.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Even with 3 starters out the Raceland Rams Freshman defeated Ashlands freshman. This group of kids are something special. There football iq is off the charts as a whole. At QB Nick Caldwell is a Conner Messer style of athelete, but is, imo has added toughness. The Robinson kid is a stud out of the wildcat as well. They are HUGE upfront. Even without 6'1" 300lb, frosh tackle, Isaac Wallace(he's varsity), they probably avg about 5'10 220 on the o lines and d lines. The difference maker? Bailey Walker. He comes from a line of talent wit his Dad Matt and Uncle Seth both being standout players in the early and late Nineties. Bailey, is a catylist for this team. A great second effort, hard running back. And plays with his head on a swivel and NEVER shies away from contact. The difference in this squad as they get older will be a killers mentality. These kids havent lossed but 3 games in almost 7 years. They r big, fast, smart, and a coaches dream. Fact is, they dont take alot of it. 22 kids in that freshman class. I will be shocked if this squad isnt involved in 2 or 3 state championship apperances or even a bring home a championship trophy or 2. If Raceland cant get that Regional Champ monkey off their back in the next 4 years, it may never happen.
I've heard the same thing for years. Until Raceland produces at the varsity level all this means nothing. Either these kids aren't as good people say, or the necessary improvement to win any kind of championship isn't there.
mightydog Wrote:I've heard the same thing for years. Until Raceland produces at the varsity level all this means nothing. Either these kids aren't as good people say, or the necessary improvement to win any kind of championship isn't there.

Yup it's a different level of competition an coaching at the varsity level. How many times has highlands frosh lost only for the varsity to keep winning titles.
You have to have a coach who can win the big games, Raceland doesn't have that right now, in my opinion.
mightydog Wrote:I've heard the same thing for years. Until Raceland produces at the varsity level all this means nothing. Either these kids aren't as good people say, or the necessary improvement to win any kind of championship isn't there.

I don't think the Rams have ever had two teams/classes go to the state finals on the varsity squad. The Jr class and the frosh class both made it to the state finals.
Very well could be the most talent combined to ever come out of Raceland/Worthington High School. From line play to backs. There is a lit of talent. And they are showing it this season. Frosh are 2-0. And the jv. Which is a mix of three classes are 2-0. The frosh Ashland game has been the only game that hasent been a blow out.
But any and all can come to their own conclusion.
fourth and goal Wrote:I don't think the Rams have ever had two teams/classes go to the state finals on the varsity squad. The Jr class and the frosh class both made it to the state finals.
Very well could be the most talent combined to ever come out of Raceland/Worthington High School. From line play to backs. There is a lit of talent. And they are showing it this season. Frosh are 2-0. And the jv. Which is a mix of three classes are 2-0. The frosh Ashland game has been the only game that hasent been a blow out.
But any and all can come to their own conclusion.

this is a joke, right. Racelands freshman would probley beat Highlands. So I guess that means Raceland should be able to beat them for the next 2 to3 yrs. Jr Hi, freshman, jv, it all means nothing as far as Ws and Ls, but I guess you have to hang your hat on something
Don't mess with the Ams. They love those middle school playoff runs.
I dont understand the problem sith being optomistic. Everyone is entitled to an opinion though. I for one am someone who agrees with being sick and tired of what has become Raceland football. Solid regular seasons but can not win te big one. In a few years East Carter wont be a door mat for long. Same goes for Boyd and Greenup, with young squads wit alot of promise. Fairview continues to adopt and adapt. Area football is getting stronger and stronger in NEKY. I am just saying these kids have a tremendous opportunity. Whether or not they make something of it is to be seen. But Mighty Dog getting o here and being so negative is pointless.
And no one ever claimed a state title. I just said i woukdnt be suprised if these classes finally break the cycle.
I'm not being negative, just factual. All these great pee wee, little league, Jr. High and freshman teams haven't translated into nothing but a good reg Season record. I'm with you on one thing, I'm a Russell fan and I'm so frustrated with there program right now I can't stnd it. So we're both up to here with the teams we follow
Read u loud and clear. Love Ivan and all he has done, but sometimes u have to cosch the the team u have. Thats never been the case w him. His sceme is his sceme. Ur a gaurd as a fresh and soph? Good chance u can become a tb by ur jr or sr yr. at Raceland its the "play not to lose" mentality.
Just think of how bad the blowout could have been if Ashland had played their sophomores in this game instead of the freshmen.:yikes:
Russell has just looked flat and stale last 4-5 years. I don't think Ivan even involved that much anymore, from what I hear there's only a few coaches that the players respect.
mightydog Wrote:this is a joke, right. Racelands freshman would probley beat Highlands. So I guess that means Raceland should be able to beat them for the next 2 to3 yrs. Jr Hi, freshman, jv, it all means nothing as far as Ws and Ls, but I guess you have to hang your hat on something

Well maddog we don't have to play teams like Highlands. Different class!!!!!
But it will better our chances against teams our size.. And local big schools.
I guess you just don't get it
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Even with 3 starters out the Raceland Rams Freshman defeated Ashlands freshman. This group of kids are something special. There football iq is off the charts as a whole. At QB Nick Caldwell is a Conner Messer style of athelete, but is, imo has added toughness. The Robinson kid is a stud out of the wildcat as well. They are HUGE upfront. Even without 6'1" 300lb, frosh tackle, Isaac Wallace(he's varsity), they probably avg about 5'10 220 on the o lines and d lines. The difference maker? Bailey Walker. He comes from a line of talent wit his Dad Matt and Uncle Seth both being standout players in the early and late Nineties. Bailey, is a catylist for this team. A great second effort, hard running back. And plays with his head on a swivel and NEVER shies away from contact. The difference in this squad as they get older will be a killers mentality. These kids havent lossed but 3 games in almost 7 years. They r big, fast, smart, and a coaches dream. Fact is, they dont take alot of it. 22 kids in that freshman class. I will be shocked if this squad isnt involved in 2 or 3 state championship apperances or even a bring home a championship trophy or 2. If Raceland cant get that Regional Champ monkey off their back in the next 4 years, it may never happen.

Who is this Robinson kid??
The Messer kid started Varsity as a freshman?
Messer has played Varsity since his freshman year. I may have the lastname wrong but i believe Nathaniel's last name is Robinson. I could be mistaken though. He is an exeptional athlete with great speed and size. Taller kid, great vision, and power, with enough speed to break away.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Messer has played Varsity since his freshman year. I may have the lastname wrong but i believe Nathaniel's last name is Robinson. I could be mistaken though. He is an exeptional athlete with great speed and size. Taller kid, great vision, and power, with enough speed to break away.

Nathaniel Davidson. Very good athlete. Great kid.
Thanks Tomcat.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Thanks Tomcat.

Yw
Pretty good game. Ashland played a good game for three quaters. Just could not hold it together and close the gap. Raceland has a lot of differant weapons on the freshman team. Be interesting to see how they develop over the next few years.
tomcat4life Wrote:Nathaniel Davidson. Very good athlete. Great kid.

#32 Davidson, Nathaniel (Reese) twisted his ankle in the second quarter on a long run. He got drilled by a tomcat. He did play a few plays late in the second half.
Brice Wellman a very good running back and starting corner didn't play. Hurt back.
And Isaac Wallace isn't playing frosh. ball anymore.
One more didn't play but I can't remember his name.
The tomcats have a pretty good team though! They get after it. And will hit you.
Raceland has a lot of young talent in their program, looking forward to watching them continue to get better and represent this area well in the future. As for Ashland, they've got some good players but need to get a little tougher IMO, the offseason program will get them bigger, stronger, faster and a few players may be able to contribute to the varsity team in a year or 2.