Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Raceland at Boyd County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does Raceland show the inability to get up for games they are heavily favored in? Does Boyd finally get a win against the rams?(raceland's owned bc in recent years. Thoughts? Predictions?

My gut says
Rams 52
Lions 8
The RAMS will be up,for this game.
The boys know they gave that last
one away. This could very well be
a running clock going into the fourth
quarter. The RAMS will start out a little
sluggish just like tradition. But will
get it cranked up and rolling after a
series or two. We just need to stay
healthy he next couple weeks.
RAMs 38
Lions.14 lions will score late against the third string.
The sluggish start is what bothers me. You dont see Beechwood and Mayfield coming out against a weaker opponent and starting off sluggish. No, they come out smack them in the mouth, keep there starters in until the 1st quarter ends. The score generally reads 35-0 or so at that point. Then the younger guys get reps. Raceland needs to play every minute of every game like they did midway through the 2nd quarter at Ashland when they went up 21-7. Then continue to play that way and not let up like they did at ashland. All passion was lost at that point. They laid back as if they had a 40 pt lead. This needs to change more so than play calling, turnovers, nething.
Raceland should name the score in this one. I agree with Scotty that they need to come out and start off playing with some fire. Come out and play explosive football and act as if Boyd is the best team they have lined up against and bring a hard effort instead if looking at them as a bad team that you don't need to try against.
Alot of this comes down to a teams mentality. Teams like Highlands, Trinity, St. x, Bowling Green, NCC, Central, Mayfield, Beechwood, etc...dont come out and say, "Who do we play this week?...and then decifer what type of effort they will put foward. No, champions put forth a championship effort every night. Raceland, Fairview, Williamsburg shoukd take note of this if they want to get to that next level. Otherwise they are solid programs(rams n jackets) and a solid program who made a suprising run(fairview).
The mentality of Raceland football changed when TJ Maynard took over. This team has no killer instinct. This team is comprised of the same players and coaches from last year. The team runs the same schemes as last year. To expect anything different is insanity.
I will admt this team lost some grit when hoof stepped away. But, it was the same story then as well. Same story back then. Won 99% of the games we should have, about 70% of the games we shouldnt have, and 0% of the games that mean the most. Ie every regional champ appearance.
Now we cant even get passed Fairview in the district.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:The sluggish start is what bothers me. You dont see Beechwood and Mayfield coming out against a weaker opponent and starting off sluggish. No, they come out smack them in the mouth, keep there starters in until the 1st quarter ends. The score generally reads 35-0 or so at that point. Then the younger guys get reps. Raceland needs to play every minute of every game like they did midway through the 2nd quarter at Ashland when they went up 21-7. Then continue to play that way and not let up like they did at ashland. All passion was lost at that point. They laid back as if they had a 40 pt lead. This needs to change more so than play calling, turnovers, nething.

Actually I have a opposite prospective of the tomcat game.
I believe we played as hard as we could play. The difference was.
A simple missed interception in the endzone. 2 or 3 extra points missed.
A 65 yard Td called back for holding. It was a lack of making a play. Lots of
Opportunities. Just couldnt finish. On the four yard line. Just didn't make the play!!!
Any one of these made would have won this game!!
I really do think they played hard four quarters.
Never meant to infer they didnt play hard. They gave it every thing they had. They did however, lay off the throttle intensity wise after going up 2 tds. While Against weaker opponents, tht wont come back to bite you, against a team like Ashland, it will. No, minus layingback a bit at that point they fought hard the entire game. I was actually refering to Ashland numbers eventually started to affect the Rams as the game went on. Midway through the 3rd Vaughn started geting big chunks up the middle. Namely because our oline and dline are essentially the same 7 or 8 man rotation. Against a smaller school or team that doesnt have 80 or 90 kids, that doesnt become an issue. The Rams should bounce back this week. I am looking foward to the LC v Fairview game as well. Lots to be known about each of them.
And I beleive Ashland is a better team than many thought. They r young but by the end of the season they will be a tough out.
Rams by 20.
New member but long time follower, I do believe Raceland is a solid team. Not as good as the 08 team in my opinion but a very good team. If you add Boyles and just one of the backs to this years class I think that puts them over the top, that being said, Boyd hasnt had a winning season since 08 and I think if Raceland doesnt stay in the complacent mindset they seem to have they should run through Boyd. If they seem to not care it will take them until the second half to widen the gap.
The Rams should use this stretch in the schedule (Boyd, Greenup, Coal Grove) to get back on track and take care of business. After the loss to Ashland, I would like to see them to get that killer instinct and put all 3 teams away early before they get into the meat of LC, Fairview and Ironton.
Good luck to both teams.
Ramcat77 Wrote:The mentality of Raceland football changed when TJ Maynard took over. This team has no killer instinct. This team is comprised of the same players and coaches from last year. The team runs the same schemes as last year. To expect anything different is insanity.

Please explain how this so called "mentality" change took place when Coach Maynard took over, and please list your suggestions for improvement. This excuse without any explanation or solutions is :lame:
Slic Ric Wrote:Please explain how this so called "mentality" change took place when Coach Maynard took over, and please list your suggestions for improvement. This excuse without any explanation or solutions is :lame:

There are several little things that I have noticed about the mentality of the program since Maynard took over. First and foremost, you don't have to cus out a teenage kid on the sidelines to get your point across as I have seen Maynard do numerous times. The players walk on an off the field and don't seem to have much of a sense of urgency. Last Friday after the game I saw a lot of players throw their helmets and lay down on the field like a bunch of two year olds who didn't get their way. I understand they lost a hard game but have a little self respect and walk off the field with your head held high instead of making a public display like that. Winning games is great but the big picture should be about teaching lifelong lessons and learning how to win and lose with grace. As long as behavior like that is tolerated Raceland will never be championship material because real champions have a good attitude even when they lose.
Slic Ric Wrote:Please explain how this so called "mentality" change took place when Coach Maynard took over, and please list your suggestions for improvement. This excuse without any explanation or solutions is :lame:

The team walks everywhere, on/off field, to/from huddle. There's no excitement on defense, no bodies flying to the ball, little to no celebration after big plays. I just think there was an extra level of intensity with Vanderhoof, since he played at Racleand. Has Maynard lead Raceland to any big game victories? No. Don't get all red at me because I am stating the obvious. I'm not the only one frustrated with Raceland football right now, I'm just one of the few who will step up and say something about it.